PDA

View Full Version : Painting your rifle by hand.... FAIL?????

Crowesnest
12-12-2011, 9:38 PM
I've been thinking about painting my AR-style rifle by hand. Not a big fan of spray on paint or spending a lot of money for someone else to do the paint job. I have an idea of what I want as a pattern, but need some advice on what brands to use. I don't mind spending the time to paint it myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

mrvash
12-12-2011, 9:40 PM
Duracoat!

triggs75
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Duracoat!

Yep did my lower in duracoat and it's pretty easy to do.

aermotor
12-12-2011, 10:59 PM
If you even have a 1% chance you'll regret it and want to go back, DO NOT PAINT IT! I was sick of the black and painted the crap out of it..... 6 months later wanted black again. What a ***** it was to strip the entire thing.

Merc1138
12-13-2011, 12:34 AM
There is a guy on this forum who has done some pretty good paintjobs on his guns(the guy who did the zombie safe and ww2 bomber paint themes). But I'm pretty sure he's done some painting of things in the past and knew full well what he was getting into(with some awesome results).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=491406 Check through the thread, he's got pictures of the finished safe and some of his other work.

So it can turn out well, but if you don't have the experience it's probably best not to try and start something like that. The reason for spray-on coats is the evenness of it, because visible brush strokes on a gun could end up looking like crap really quick.

FatalKitty
12-13-2011, 12:40 AM
don't paint it unless you want it to look like crap in 6 months.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6387724481_02eb03f527_z.jpg

that round count needs to be updated by about 2k now.. LOL
ugh.. and no more mb556k brake either

h0use
12-13-2011, 5:25 AM
The new kits from duracoat make it really easy!

weber_2
12-13-2011, 8:34 AM
Paint will eventually come off. I did my Saiga 6 months ago and the paint has come off on the parts that touch in the safe. If you don't a little "wear" to it paint it. If you want it permanent Duracot

starsnuffer
12-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Just be really careful if you paint it camouflage. You might loose it in your living room and not be able to find it.

If you don't loose it, it means the camouflage doesn't work anyway, so the whole exercise is pointless. YMMV.

-W

Crowesnest
12-13-2011, 5:18 PM
Thanks for the replies... I think I'll just keep it... I'm the type to obsess about one or two scratches.... :facepalm:

Merc1138
12-13-2011, 5:24 PM
Thanks for the replies... I think I'll just keep it... I'm the type to obsess about one or two scratches.... :facepalm:

Good luck being a gun owner and not going insane then.

Keep in mind that after it gets beat to hell(it's going to get dinged up eventually unless it's a safe queen), you can get the whole thing refinished. Just don't come back here in a week asking why there are brass marks on your brass deflector :p