PDA

View Full Version : FS2000 with MFI muzzle brake

Helixfury
12-12-2011, 5:45 PM
I finally got this rifle out of jail and immediately replaced the original FH/fake can to the new MFI muzzle brake. I am totally impressed with the quality and build of this MB and thumbs up to them for taking the time to make life simpler for us.

luchador768
12-12-2011, 5:47 PM
Do you have a pic of just the brake?

BHPFan
12-12-2011, 6:18 PM
So, with this brake, the OAL of the rifle reaches the min of 30in ?

Helixfury
12-12-2011, 6:21 PM
This will make it a little over 30 inches.

luchador768
12-12-2011, 6:24 PM
I've been trying to extend mine from the back, with little luck. I've tried different pads, and dense foam material bu it all looks like crap. That break looks pretty good.

BHPFan
12-12-2011, 6:34 PM
This will make it a little over 30 inches.

Cool. Along with a SolarTactical wrap-around grip, I'll be able to get a featureless FS2000 rifle.

nitroxdiver
12-12-2011, 7:02 PM
Bad azz!

MrPlink
12-12-2011, 7:42 PM
very sexy! You are ready for some space ops with that thing!

BHPFan
12-12-2011, 8:01 PM
Do you have a pic of just the brake?

Not quite the pic, but at least here's the link to MFI:

http://www.mfiap.com/smallarms/FS2000-30-CA.shtml

Blownmotor
12-12-2011, 9:08 PM
Does the brake have to be pinned on that type of rifle?

osis32
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't think that's true permanency of the fh/mb is only a necessity with barrels under 16". If they're over that you don't need to have it pinned just make sure the rifle is over 30".

MrPlink
12-13-2011, 2:17 AM
I don't think that's true permanency of the fh/mb is only a necessity with barrels under 16". If they're over that you don't need to have it pinned just make sure the rifle is over 30".

correct, only needs to be permanent to avoid Federal NFA violations.
For over all length in CA purposes, no permanence required at all.

You could tape a stick to your gun to extend the length at it would technically be legal (I do not advise doing this though)

HKDoc
12-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Darn that looks good! Now I want one too. Was it hard to change out the muzzle brake?

Helixfury
12-13-2011, 1:36 PM
You need to drill out the pin really good, good leverage and a sturdy table. It was quite tough though. If you have the proper tools you'll be alright and get somebody to help you.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
12-13-2011, 2:07 PM

You could tape a stick to your gun to extend the length at it would technically be legal (I do not advise doing this though)

:rofl2:

hcbr
12-13-2011, 2:39 PM
:thumbsup: nice! congrats :D

BHPFan
12-13-2011, 5:38 PM
MFI calls it a "muzzle brake", but in its link at the beginning, it says
Muzzle Brakes are also known as: Flash Suppressor, Flash Hider, Flash Hinder & Anti Climb Device.

Does that mean you still cannot make the rifle featureless with that product plus a SolarTactical grip?

luchador768
12-13-2011, 5:52 PM
There is a long and kinda nasty thread out there somewhere discussing the FS2000 muzzle brake/flash hider. FS calls it a muzzle brake however it looks like a modified A2 flash hider to me.

xsparc
12-13-2011, 6:56 PM
This thing is awesome! I got the first one made to replace the YHM i had. It fits perfect and just looks sexy.

MrPlink
12-13-2011, 7:08 PM
MFI calls it a "muzzle brake", but in its link at the beginning, it says

Does that mean you still cannot make the rifle featureless with that product plus a SolarTactical grip?

it means if the DA does his homework and finds this description from the manufacturer and uses it against you are screwed

fmunk
12-13-2011, 8:33 PM
Nice. I have a OD military overrun on the way. Tactical model, no optic, rear folding BUIS.

chad68
12-13-2011, 9:31 PM
Nice. I have a OD military overrun on the way. Tactical model, no optic, rear folding BUIS.

I sent you a PM

fmunk
12-13-2011, 9:36 PM
I sent you a PM

Replied.

I wish someone would make a FN to AR thread adapter that makes up the length, and allow you to add a AR brake/FH of your choice.

thekwyjibo
12-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Actually there might be some issues with 922r. It seems to dis-allow a threaded muzzle, even if a device is screwed to the end of it, this requires the muzzle brake to be permanently attached, so that one cannot ever unscrew it and expose the threads. This is the reason why F/N initially pinned their pseudo-brake (all arguments as to if it is a 'true brake' aside) onto the barrel instead of just screwing it in.
Not sure if the locking system that MFI includes with their kit is acceptable to be definable as permanently attached or not. It is a set screw that can be then covered with JB weld or something similar.

Given the dark art that much of 922r has become, I am not sure how likely someone is to come afoul of it, but it bears mentioning that there may be a potential issue here.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
12-14-2011, 9:10 PM
Threaded muzzles aren't a 922(r) issue. Whether the muzzle device screwed onto those threads is US or foreign made can be in terms of total foreign parts in an imported rifle. Muzzle devices are not required to be permanently attached unless the rifle's barrel is less than 16" in length (and absent the appropriate tax stamp for same). If you have some information in either statute or case law that indicates otherwise, please post it, otherwise I would have to call :fud:

Grumpyoldretiredcop
12-14-2011, 9:16 PM
it means if the DA does his homework and finds this description from the manufacturer and uses it against you are screwed

It does look like MFI has mixed messages in its descriptions. Later in the product description they include the following language

The MFI FN FS-2000 Muzzle Brake does NOT reduce muzzle noise or muzzle flash in any way

which would at least permit rebuttal. I'd certainly wish that MFI would delete that first line in the product description before I went featureless with an FS2000 (and I'd like to).

thekwyjibo
12-15-2011, 7:13 AM
Threaded muzzles aren't a 922(r) issue. Whether the muzzle device screwed onto those threads is US or foreign made can be in terms of total foreign parts in an imported rifle. Muzzle devices are not required to be permanently attached unless the rifle's barrel is less than 16" in length (and absent the appropriate tax stamp for same). If you have some information in either statute or case law that indicates otherwise, please post it, otherwise I would have to call :fud:

Fair enough, As I qualified before I am certainly no expert but have seen enough to make me wary of it.

A few nuggets

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html
--check the section under sporting purposes.
http://www.tapco.com/section922r/
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rFeatures
-Just do a search for threaded you will find relevant sections

Most of these are predicated under the 'suitable for sporting purposes' of 18 u.s.c. 922(r) . and 27 C.F.R. 478.89 defines what 'parts' a firearm can have.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/saws-and-lcafds.html
Q: Does the expiration of the SAW ban change laws regarding assembly of nonsporting shotguns and semiautomatic rifles from imported parts?
No. The provisions of section 922(r) of the GCA and the regulations in 27 CFR 478.39 regarding assembly of non-sporting shotguns and semiautomatic rifles from imported parts still apply.

27 C.F.R. 478.89 parts (this is what is the whole parts count thing), note section 5, the problem is that by calling it muzzle attachments, some are extending that to include threaded muzzles.
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

Again, I am not trying to spread doubt here, nor am I attempting to state that I know for sure, If someone who knows more about this then me can pipe in and correct me I would appreciate it. I would personally like an more definitive answer to this as well. I have a fs2000 as well and have been running in circles over this whole thing myself. These damn laws seem designed to confuse people.

glenntuc
12-15-2011, 7:35 AM
rifle gear said they will have sa2000 in about 2 weeks around 1850.

bombadillo
12-15-2011, 8:12 AM
Whats the sight picture like on those?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
12-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Fair enough, As I qualified before I am certainly no expert but have seen enough to make me wary of it.

<remainder snipped, no need to quote citations>

You'll need to read 922(r) of the GCA and the regulations in 27 CFR 478.39 carefully. Website opinions (especially mine) are not law. The "thread issues" come into play when/if the firearm is imported into the U.S., hence the tack-welded muzzle nuts and/or removed muzzle threads found on WASR AKs. Not an issue when the weapon is already imported or when assembling a firearm within the U.S., which is why removing the tack-welded nut from a WASR and installing a muzzle device is not necessarily a violation of 922(r), but oftentimes a means to install one more domestic part in order to conform to 922(r) when modifying the firearm from the imported configuration. Same logic applies to the FS2000 if the firearm is already in your possession.

Again, there is NO requirement embodied in Federal case or statute law requiring the permanent attachment of a muzzle device to a rifle barrel that is 16" or longer. If that makes you more comfortable, by all means pin your extended muzzle device. No need for the rest of us to do it.

zfields
12-15-2011, 11:05 AM
You'll need to read 922(r) of the GCA and the regulations in 27 CFR 478.39 carefully. Website opinions (especially mine) are not law. The "thread issues" come into play when/if the firearm is imported into the U.S., hence the tack-welded muzzle nuts and/or removed muzzle threads found on WASRs. Not an issue when the weapon is already imported or when assembling a firearm within the U.S.

+1, the section you quoted has to do with importation laws, not compliance after it (legally) hits our side of the pond.

922 kicks in once you convert it out of sporter config.

fmunk
12-15-2011, 1:05 PM
Once I get mine, I think I will call up some contacts to have a FN to AR thread adapter made. Any one interested?

shark92651
12-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Just FYI that we got in a shipment of FS 2000's and our CA model includes the MFI brake, Assault Planet Bullet Button, and 10/30 magazine for $1899. We have both black and OD in stock.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1348-fn-fs2000-tactical.aspx