PDA

View Full Version : Ak parts kits

Ak707
12-12-2011, 4:45 PM
What's a good AK to build from a parts kit. I've heard people drooling over yugo m70 parts kits. Is that one of the more sought after kits?

Where should I buy a parts kit from.?
I seen a few on akbuilder.com and atlanticfirearms

hossb7
12-12-2011, 4:58 PM
Just because people drool over certain things doesn't make them any more or less good (See: DMPS).

What are YOU looking for in an AK?

Ak707
12-12-2011, 5:10 PM
I just want an ak that goes bang, it ain't gotta be anything super special but not the lowest end cheaper stuff either

tujungatoes
12-12-2011, 5:16 PM
Just because people drool over certain things doesn't make them any more or less good (See: DMPS).

What are YOU looking for in an AK?

^this

It's more about what you like the look/feel of. Functionally they're all pretty much the same.

*edit* Just stay away from anything that says Inter Ordnance or vuncan/hesse/blackthorne and you should have a rifle that goes bang every time.

Mamluke
12-12-2011, 6:27 PM
Try here:
http://whatacountry.com/parts-kits.aspx

Decide on what caliber you want 7.62x39 or 5.45x39.
For range use, 5.45 may limit you to fewer ranges!
Then decide if you want wood furniture or the more modern look of an AK with polymer furniture.
And last, decide if you want the metal folding stock or the wood/polymer stock.
Folding stock could be an underfolder or a side folder.

Do you have the proper tools to work with a kit?
And kits don't come with a receiver or most likely a barrel, so you'll need to dros a receiver and a barrel separately.

Get a NoDak Spud stamped receiver and a chrome lined barrel.
A flat receiver requires bending and proper heat treatment.

I hope I covered enough, if not; CHIME IN & DON'T BE SHY!

...... :D

SJgunguy24
12-12-2011, 7:57 PM
What's a good AK to build from a parts kit.
Any

I've heard people drooling over yugo m70 parts kits.
I've never drooled over a kit but my M70 is my favorite out of all of my rifles.

Is that one of the more sought after kits?
It could be, what do you want exactly?

Where should I buy a parts kit from.?
Gunbroker would be a good place to look, also check out the for sale section of this and other gun forums.

I seen a few on akbuilder.com and atlanticfirearms

Thats a start, just look everywhere.

SmellOfCordite
12-12-2011, 9:43 PM
I'll just leave this right here
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=264673494

Ak707
12-13-2011, 1:22 PM
^ i was looking at that kit....looks like a nice kit.
what else do i need to buy parts wise to complete that kit?
i prlly gotta swap some parts out for 922 right.?

Mamluke
12-13-2011, 1:35 PM

You'll need a US made receiver, trigger group (Tapco G2) and seven other US made parts. That kit is an Underfolder, and it takes a different style receiver than one with a wood/polymer stock. I recommend a NoDak Spud receiver.

But for that much money, you can buy a good quality AK form a reputable company such as InterArms.

RustyMacHine
12-13-2011, 1:56 PM
You'll need a US made receiver, trigger group (Tapco G2) and seven other US made parts. That kit is an Underfolder, and it takes a different style receiver than one with a wood/polymer stock. I recommend a NoDak Spud receiver.

If you add those up, that is = 11 U.S. Parts = Overkill...

Here: 922r Calculator (http://jobson.us/922r/)

FYI- You just need 10 or less foreign parts.

Mamluke
12-13-2011, 2:39 PM
^^^ Right the Trigger group counts as 2 US made parts ....
And you only need 9 US made parts!

CSACANNONEER
12-13-2011, 2:41 PM
^this

It's more about what you like the look/feel of. Functionally they're all pretty much the same.

*edit* Just stay away from anything that says Inter Ordnance or vuncan/hesse/blackthorne and you should have a rifle that goes bang every time.

+1! Hell, even Hotrails' first build goes bang every time.

atsaubrey
12-13-2011, 3:24 PM

Counts as 3 parts.

SVT-40
12-13-2011, 3:50 PM
Any parts kit is better than no parts kit at all... Because when there gone they will be gone...

Gone are the days of:
$89 Romanian 'G" kits W/ original barrels
$79 AMD-65 kits W/ original barrels
$135 AMK63 Kits W/ original barrels
$125 Bulgarian AK-74 kits W/original barrels
$295 Bulgarian Krink kits W/ original barrels
$135 Polish Tantal kits W/ original barrels
$275 Polish M-92 Kits W/original barrels
$120 Yugo kits W/ original barrels

So buy what you can NOW!!!!!

tujungatoes
12-13-2011, 5:16 PM

If it were me:
receiver 100% or 80% flat your choice(1 us part)
AK-builder yugo rivet set
Tapco G2 trigger group(3 us parts)
muzzle brake(1us part)
ronin's us made yugo grip (1 us part)
Magazines

You could always go for a us gas piston, magazine, or handguard set for us compliance, but the parts I have listed are cheap and easy to install. Just keep in mind on a stamped receiver ak pattern rifle you need to replace a minimum of six counded parts with us versions to get your foreign parts count under ten.

WTSGDYBBR
12-13-2011, 5:23 PM
Any parts kit is better than no parts kit at all... Because when there gone they will be gone...

Gone are the days of:

That's true want to sell any ? HAHA

Mamluke
12-13-2011, 6:00 PM
+1 on all of the above,

.... and very true; any parts kit is better than NO PARTS kit, cause sure enough, they're becoming more scarce!

atsaubrey, thanks for correction on the Trigger being 3 instead of 2 US part

Now lets see you build that beast OP and keep us posted ... ;)

wash
12-13-2011, 6:57 PM
Yugos are different.

They use a bulged front trunnion and a 1.5 mm receiver which are heavy duty features borrowed from the RPK light machine gun.

They also have heavier barrels (which means the gas block and rear sight block have bigger holes in them), a different length rear sight block, different length gas tube, different handguards and a rear trunnion with a push-button lock for the top cover.

They have some extras like glow-in-the-dark night sights too.

Add it all up and you get an AK with a bit more accuracy potential and a fair amount more weight.

If that's what you like, a Yugo AK might be just the thing for you.

The prices reflect scarcity mostly but they should retain their value fairly well.

Parts I like for 922(r), pistol grip, hand guard, receiver, FCG, muzzle device and barrel if you can find a good one (if your kit has a poor barrel or none at all).

I was thinking about finding a Yugo M70AB2 kit for an AK build but when I saw the prices I decided to go with a virgin Yugo M72 RPK kit. For perhaps a bit less money you get a kit with a new US barrel (which fits fine and looks nice), more features like a bipod and windage adjustable rear sight and a nice fixed stock instead of an underfolder. It's more work and quite a different gun but it seemed like a better deal to me and RPKs are very scarce compared to AKs, in my opinion the value should do as well or better.

There are other flavors out there that people like too. Krinks are popular, but the kits are $$. Converted Saigas can very closely resemble real AK100 variants and the prices can be very good. Some people like AK pistols and some people like mutts put together with hand picked parts or just thrown together leftovers.

Mamluke
12-13-2011, 9:18 PM
Yugos are different.

They use a bulged front trunnion and a 1.5 mm receiver which are heavy duty features borrowed from the RPK light machine gun.

They also have heavier barrels (which means the gas block and rear sight block have bigger holes in them), a different length rear sight block, different length gas tube, different handguards and a rear trunnion with a push-button lock for the top cover.

They have some extras like glow-in-the-dark night sights too.

Add it all up and you get an AK with a bit more accuracy potential and a fair amount more weight.

If that's what you like, a Yugo AK might be just the thing for you.

The prices reflect scarcity mostly but they should retain their value fairly well.

Parts I like for 922(r), pistol grip, hand guard, receiver, FCG, muzzle device and barrel if you can find a good one (if your kit has a poor barrel or none at all).

I was thinking about finding a Yugo M70AB2 kit for an AK build but when I saw the prices I decided to go with a virgin Yugo M72 RPK kit. For perhaps a bit less money you get a kit with a new US barrel (which fits fine and looks nice), more features like a bipod and windage adjustable rear sight and a nice fixed stock instead of an underfolder. It's more work and quite a different gun but it seemed like a better deal to me and RPKs are very scarce compared to AKs, in my opinion the value should do as well or better.

L B D*****

:King:

Plus M70AB2 will lop GRENADES the size of football fields ... :D ... ;)

hcbr
12-13-2011, 10:38 PM
interesting...

Ak707
12-14-2011, 8:34 PM
So if I get a kit without a barrel is it gonna be harder to get barrels for certain kits than others?

Mamluke
12-14-2011, 9:08 PM
So if I get a kit without a barrel is it gonna be harder to get barrels for certain kits than others?

Most of the time, when you purchase the kit online from, lets say Whatacountry.com, they also offer barrels. So they'll recommend to you what barrel to get with your kit.

Ok, you're close, I can barely see you, you're almost there bud, hurry up!!!! :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/LavaBull/dezak1.jpg

...... :P

five.five-six
12-14-2011, 9:21 PM

Gone are the days of:

:Ivan:

SJgunguy24
12-14-2011, 11:40 PM

But for that much money, you can buy a good quality AK form a reputable company such as InterArms.

Double tap fail, most ak's have 16 parts that count towards 922(r). The easiest are the receiver(1), FCG(3), pistol grip(1), and gas piston(1). Remember that if you need to permenently attach a muzzle device to meet minimum barrel length (as in a krink or amd65 build) that will not count as a 922(r) compliance part. Stick with changing parts on the gun and any mag is fair game to use in your gun.

Arisaka
12-15-2011, 7:47 AM
Milled AK needs 5 IIRC

Ak707
12-15-2011, 12:49 PM
what if i want to put a fixed stock on the polish under folder kit or a side folder kit...i just need to find a iced rear trunnion....is it that easy.?

zfields
12-15-2011, 12:56 PM
what if i want to put a fixed stock on the polish under folder kit or a side folder kit...i just need to find a iced rear trunnion....is it that easy.?

Couldnt you just build it of a standard stamped flat then?

Ak707
12-15-2011, 1:12 PM
i dunno im asking lol