PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning "Brass Stains" off the AR Case Deflector Bump

Paratus et Vigilans
03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Am I the only one who gets bugged by the brass marks on the case deflector bump on my AR's?

I've tried several methods of cleaining them off when I clean my black rifles after I get them home from the range (Home, home from the range, where the . . . ) Sorry, brain fart there - but nothing really gets them off the hump (don't even go there!) to suit my liking.

Anybody out there have any good suggestions to get them off without ruining the finish on the lower receiver? I get the same kind of marks on the op rod on my SOCOM 16, and have the same cleaning issues there.

Should I just figure they're like "stick marks" on my old football helmets and wear them as a badge of experience, or is there some tried and true method to get them off and I is just ignorant???

Thanks!

PLINK
03-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I usually just use CLP and a patch to get as much off as I can. I have used CLP and a brass brush before also. If you don't like the marks you can put a couple of pieces of electrical tape on the brass deflector before you go shooting.

phamtastic0
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
i don't know about cleaning it off, but i put a little piece of black electrical tape there to prevent the problem from happening in the first place. its barely noticeable and it keeps your deflector lookin pristine!

proraptor
03-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I have the same problem and was talking about it with my buddy.....We still dont have a fix

DV8
03-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I've heard of pencil erasers being used, I havent tried it myself because I dont really mind the marks.

Paratus et Vigilans
03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks, guys!

+1 on the electrical tape "prevention" method. I'm going to do that in the future.

So far, I've tried both CLP on a patch, and Hoppe's No. 9 on a patch, and even a fine ScotchBrite pad (VERY gently) with a little bit of water on it, and with those methods I can get most, but not all of the marks, off the hump doing this. I just don't want to rub off the finish or put scratch marks on it, which would bug me even more than the brass marks!

Technical Ted
03-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Elbow grease, a patch and solvent, either CLP or Hoppes will remove it.

What I use is a piece of adhesive backed, black velcro loop cut and affixed to the inpact face of the integral brass deflector.

I use a lot of velcro hook, so I wind up with a lot of spare velcro loop.

Every so often I'll peel an old piece off, remove the adhesive residue and affix a new piece.

I've found that the adhesive stands up to heat and solvents better than electricians and gaffer tape.

Sydwaiz
03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Sweets or any copper solvet should work. But why?

Technical Ted
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Sweets or any copper solvet should work. But why?
The reason I use the velcro loop so the spent case walls don't get dented :)

I do reload.

bwiese
03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
As Sydwaiz asks, "but why???"

ARs are not 'pretty' guns like Ruger #1s or Red Labels, etc.

Go out and shoot 'em. Keep 'em lubed. A few brass marks just means you had a good time.

Prc329
03-05-2007, 1:18 PM
Go out and shoot 'em. Keep 'em lubed. A few brass marks just means you had a good time.

That's what I was thinking.

rkt88edmo
03-05-2007, 1:40 PM
I rub brass on mine to make it look like I actually shoot it.

schizrade2
03-05-2007, 1:41 PM

Lol.

NRAhighpowershooter
03-05-2007, 1:47 PM
I rub with Kroil

JesseXXX
03-05-2007, 2:09 PM
Leave em' marked up... :)

Centurion_D
03-05-2007, 2:10 PM

Bill's got the right idea!!! Hell both my sporters have the brass markings on em..never bothered me...show em' you ain't got a safe queen!:D

xenophobe
03-05-2007, 2:21 PM
0000 super fine steel wool and oil

Paratus et Vigilans
03-05-2007, 2:30 PM
Wow!

Clearly there are two distinct camps on this point!

I thank you all for your input!

rorschach
03-05-2007, 2:58 PM
Dings, scratches, and brass marks add character.

jaymz
03-05-2007, 3:00 PM
Leave it be I say. But if you just can't stand it........try a sharpie.:cool:

Prc329
03-05-2007, 3:03 PM
Only thing I clean on mine is the barrels. I like the extra little marks hear and there. They feel more "alive".

C.G.
03-05-2007, 3:47 PM
The reason I use the velcro loop so the spent case walls don't get dented :)

I do reload.

Same here, with the benefit of no brass kisses.:)

ocabj
03-05-2007, 5:57 PM
Meh. You don't need to clean the brass deflector or cover it up with padding to protect it or your brass. I reload all my brass. I never have any deflector damage on my brass, even on my Lapua brass.

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/misc_firearms/IMG_4854_edited.sized.jpg

markymark
03-05-2007, 6:07 PM
I just leave the marks there.

Teletiger7
03-05-2007, 9:19 PM
It's called a Deflector for a reason. It's designed to deflect brass. That's it's job and when it does that it touches brass. If you want your AR to be untouched and unmarked then don't shoot it or take it out.

C.G.
03-05-2007, 11:51 PM
It's called a Deflector for a reason. It's designed to deflect brass. That's it's job and when it does that it touches brass. If you want your AR to be untouched and unmarked then don't shoot it or take it out.

All fine unless you reload. I could care less about the brass kisses, after all I own a FAL, but I don't like dents in my brass that I am about to reload.

ocabj
03-06-2007, 5:43 AM
I'm interested to see the kinds of dents you guys are getting on your brass that require you to put some sort of padding on the brass deflector.

I've never encountered any kind of damage on brass caused by the brass deflector that would render brass useless or threaten the integrity of the case.

And yes, I reload, too.

lazuris
03-06-2007, 5:47 AM
Brass marks are like cool scars, they prove you're not full of BS

Paratus et Vigilans
03-06-2007, 6:39 AM

Ya know, my car windshield is there to stop bugs and other junk from hitting me in the face when I'm driving. It does its job well. But I still wash the dead bugs and other junk off it every time I clean the rest of the car. :)

shark92651
03-06-2007, 7:50 AM
Ya know, my car windshield is there to stop bugs and other junk from hitting me in the face when I'm driving. It does its job well. But I still wash the dead bugs and other junk off it every time I clean the rest of the car. :)

These threads always end up the same way. Someone posts a thread asking for advice on cleaning or touching up their rifle and inevitably you have people that respond, not to answer the question, but to convince you that you are wrong for wanting to do that in the first place. I'm waiting for the "put some pink fingernail polish on it and put it back in the safe" post which usually ends these threads :rolleyes:

xenophobe
03-06-2007, 8:06 AM
I've never once cleaned brass marks or ejected case damage from my rifles... I shoot my guns, and if that results in showing wear from use, then so be it.

I have cleaned other people's firearms of such marks for money though. lol

Technical Ted
03-06-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm interested to see the kinds of dents you guys are getting on your brass that require you to put some sort of padding on the brass deflector.
Unfortunately I culled all the damaged cases awhile back--after I first tried the velcro buffer a couple of years back--and I haven't had one since.

The issue was with a couple of my carbines that have stronger ejector and extractor springs. Cases were squarely hitting the corner transition of the deflector on their sides, leaving a nice dent. Resizing left a dimple in the case. Occasionally I'd see dents right at the transition from the case wall to the shoulder.

rkt88edmo
03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
I have an upper that puts a pretty good ding right at the case mouth. If I was saving the brass I would probably want to prevent that.

Technical Ted
03-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I have an upper that puts a pretty good ding right at the case mouth. If I was saving the brass I would probably want to prevent that.
Case mouths aren't so bad--deformation can be a result of hitting something other than the deflector. Case mouths get reshaped by the sizer ball during resizing. Dents on the case wall and shoulder don't get the same workout.

rkt88edmo
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure if it is getting crushed on extraction or when it hits the extractor, but they've been dinged even over grass, and it is bad enough 1/3-1/2 of the mouth sometimes that I think it might hang up the case beller, but I've never tried them.

C.G.
03-06-2007, 1:44 PM

I've never encountered any kind of damage on brass caused by the brass deflector that would render brass useless or threaten the integrity of the case.

And yes, I reload, too.

I don't have any samples since I've used the Velcro, but the main culprit was my AR-10 followed by Armalite 16" upper. The 6.5 Grendel doesn't do it.

thmpr
03-06-2007, 2:36 PM
I love to see the marks... It gives the rifle character.

:D

rolex87
02-15-2010, 2:26 PM
my cameras look as new as when i bought them, but i like the character of a marked up rifle. It's all relative i guess. Having a perfectly new AR, it pained me to have the brass marks on there, but then i shot it some more and got scratches elsewhere, and now i dont care :)

xxdabroxx
02-15-2010, 2:41 PM

that's the train of thought!

Intimid8tor
02-15-2010, 2:57 PM
Most of mine comes off when I wipe down the outside with CLP. A little stays on there.

I know a gunsmith that uses the super fine steel wool to remove marks off the barrel. You might try that. Also, some ideas about tape,etc.

It's your rifle. Do what makes you happy. Above all, shoot it. Something I haven't done enough lately.

If you want something to protect the rifle you could go cool with some diamond plate or polished brass/silver/gold. To protect the cases it sounds like Velcro is the ticket.

818gtiguy
02-15-2010, 3:04 PM
my cameras look as new as when i bought them, but i like the character of a marked up rifle. It's all relative i guess. Having a perfectly new AR, it pained me to have the brass marks on there, but then i shot it some more and got scratches elsewhere, and now i dont care :)

C`mon dude, a three year old thread..especially about this topic....
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu319/glockpoppin/NecroPost.jpg

Army GI
02-15-2010, 3:41 PM

I agree. This 100% pristine stuff is obsessive. If it's really that important, buy two of every gun: one to keep in your safe and never use and one to actually shoot. You will never be able to eliminate wear and tear.

five.five-six
02-15-2010, 3:44 PM
just leave them there

cmth
02-15-2010, 4:23 PM
I have the exact opposite problem -- I can't get enough brass marks on my deflector. I do get them, to be sure, but not as many as I would like. I need more money to buy more ammo so that I can shoot more. Then I would be satisfied. :D

racky
02-15-2010, 4:35 PM
the brass marks build character. so do dings, scratches, and gouges. beat up guns always look the best to me.

KaLiFORNIA
02-15-2010, 4:45 PM
nothing wrong with keeping your 1000+$ EBR clean, inside and OUT what is wrong is to not use it in fear of brass marks. I have a Daniel Defense M4 and i just rub out the marks with my thumb. maybe different finishes

DedEye
02-15-2010, 5:31 PM
For crap's sake, this thread is 3 years old! I didn't even notice until I saw xeno had posted. Also, +1 to every other "who cares?" post about brass marks on the BRASS DEFLECTOR.

Also +1 to CLP.