PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to SoCal with an AR-15

coberrick
12-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Hello all,

I am a San Diego native but recently moved up to Washington on a USMC ROTC scholarship to the University of Washington. The first thing I did with my new found freedom was purchase a Stag Arms left handed AR, and now as Christmas roles around and I am preparing to head home I am trying to figure out if it is possible to bring it home with me for 2 weeks. I have done a TON of reading on the subject over the past several days but its hard to get a solid answer and frankly trying to research this and prepare for finals has been a little tough. So I figured perhaps someone here could help me out. I have not had the opportunity to install the bullet button i purchased yet, wasnt planning on bringing any of my 30 round PMAGS, and have installed a yankee hill phantom muzzlebreak but still have my stock A2 birdcage... Am i able to bring this weapon into CA? Obviously before I take it to the range id install my bullet button and purchase a 10 round mag, so i guess my biggest question is will TSA give me any trouble? Thanks so much and my apologies for the essay here and sounding like the naive 18 year old I am, but I just want to make sure I do everything right or else I just won't bother trying to bring it home.

-Semper Fi

TXDARKHORSE361
12-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Long story short, install the bullet button and leave the 10+ round mags there and only bring the 10- round mags and you'll be fine, but don't cross state lines without having that installed. It sounds like you're flying so they probably would give you some flak about it, Stag Arms isn't on the banned list so as long as you have the bullet button and 10 round mag you'll be fine.

Below is a link to the flowchart that will help you out.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf?bcsi_scan_4348695FDC439BF5=6dt37cJP+ Ij5F4FEyMLLXH1mpB05AAAA3bjkYw==:1&bcsi_scan_773E6145B420DAC3=LobySqwBAvtS7sLg9Aqu4me 0ZAc/AAAATXNcZw==&bcsi_scan_filename=flowchart.pdf&bcsi_scan_4ECFAED2AEE05647=3FV6qYxcoB0ROGqsUNnQFhA kvuU/AAAAxrw/aA==:1&bcsi_scan_F764F80932FA7ED1=1&bcsi_scan_C56E0587B373D06D=fMYwGYqeeAttsuyLqnikSvE HXfkHAAAAu4PPCw==&bcsi_scan_filename=flowchart.pdf

dieselpower
12-12-2011, 2:11 PM
^ agreed. Install a BB, takes 3 to 5 minutes and $30 if you get the Riflegear mod. It makes the inside nut use a small flathead screw driver which is included. You remove your regular magazine release, install the BB and its done. When you get back home, swap back.

1) separate it into two
2) place it in your suitcase, no need for special "I AM A FIREARM CASE" NO AMMO AT ALL
3) the LOWER must have an empty magazine and a tool close to it just in case they want the magazine removed, but remember to tell them and show them its a FIXED magazine rifle, show them the magazine can't be removed without the tool.
4) lock the suitcase with a REAL Key lock... NOT a TSA lock. You can not use a TSA lock. The lock must only be opened and be operable by YOU and ONLY when you are standing next to it.

5) Show up early and tell them you have a firearm in your checked baggage.
6) Do not allow them to place the FIREARM tag or sticker on the OUTSIDE of the suitcase... it goes INSIDE so any person x-raying can see you declared it. On the outside its an open invitation to steal the suitcase and is why the FFA rule says the tag goes on the INSIDE, yet stupid ticket agents dont understand that and get it wrong all the time. If they attempt to place it on the outside get a supervisor, if the supervisor thinks its goes on the outside tell them to look up the law....better yet you have a copy handy for them.
7) TSA will want to inspect the suitcase. You dont give them the key. You must open the suitcase and be standing with it the whole time, no ifs ands or buts, no handing the key to an Agent, no Agent may even TOUCH your firearm... they can touch your penis, not your firearm. If they need to search your suitcase, YOU and ONLY you can remove the firearm.
8) Once they are done with the inspection, you place the upper and lower back in the suitcase, LOCK the suitcase and leave WITH the key. I stood there arguing with a TSA Agent for 5 minutes while he told me the key has to be with the suitcase so they could open it up at a connecting airport. He said, "I might not be on the same plane as my suitcase and TSA needed access no matter what.". It took a supervisor and my printed laws to end the debate.
9) If you have a connecting flight expect TSA to approach you and ask you for the key or do what they are supposed to do and bring you to the next inspection area to once again open and allow them to see your rifle :rolleyes: If they ask for the key, say no, thats not the law..blah blah blah with the law.

Oh and for all those people who care... if you travel with a flare gun in your suitcase you can use the same laws to keep TSA OUT of your suitcase. Just dont have a separate case for the flare gun or they will declare the little case an extra bag (which they are allowed to do) and make you leave the flare gun OUT of your suitcase. It has to be loose inside your suitcase. No flares

hcbr
12-12-2011, 2:34 PM
ditto on what these fine gentlemen said!

Lurch762
12-12-2011, 6:55 PM
Dieselpower,

Great information there. You wouldn't happen to have a link to the various laws you printed out to debunk the TSA would you?

Maddog5150
12-12-2011, 6:58 PM
best bet is probably leave it home. You're just coming for the holidays and I'm sure there are better ranges up there anyways.