PDA

View Full Version : Piston kits

CGK60
12-12-2011, 6:05 AM
How does the Osprey system compare to Adams, PWS piston systems etc. Does anyone have one of these systems and how do you like it.

wilit
12-12-2011, 6:54 AM
I've been tossing around the idea of picking up this Adams Arms conversion, but I haven't been able to find a lot of reviews on-line about it.

http://centerfiresystems.com/ar-gaspiston.aspx

FeuerFrei
12-12-2011, 7:03 AM
I use both the carbine and pistol length Adams Arms kits on AR pistols.
These are solid systems and easy to install.
My pistols have been 100% reliable and zero parts breakage after thousands of rounds.

wilit
12-12-2011, 7:28 AM
I use both the carbine and pistol length Adams Arms kits on AR pistols.
These are solid systems and easy to install.
My pistols have been 100% reliable and zero parts breakage after thousands of rounds.

What kit did you use? The one with the replacement gas key or with the anti-tilt carrier? I think the link I posted is the older kit with just the gas key.

goodlookin1
12-12-2011, 7:56 AM
I have a newer carbine Adams as well, with the one piece carrier. Best upgrade i've made: Easy to install, zero failures in any form, etc.

As far as the Osprey goes, I have no clue as to its reliability. All I know are the supposed benefits: Gas is supposed to be automatic whether suppressed or not (no settings), it's got a low-profile design to fit with more existing rails, and it integrates with the gas block you already have. That said, even without the gas block, it's still more $$$.

FeuerFrei
12-12-2011, 8:52 AM
One peice carriers.
My spider sense tells me NOT to use the replacement gas key conversion. I find more security in knowing that a fully machined carrier will outlast any add-on w/#8 screws holding it in place.

Don29palms
12-12-2011, 5:43 PM
I have an Adams Arms kit on a 16" middy. It has run flawlessly with any ammo I've run through it. Mine is a newer kit with the one piece bolt carrier. It was $280 from Rainier Arms.

cmace22
12-12-2011, 6:08 PM
Ive looked into the Osprey a few times and from what Ive read its a well built, reliable kit. The only reason I havent bought one is Ive never had a failure with my DI guns. I cant justify the cost to fix something that isnt broken. Maybe ill "upgrade" when the pistons become main stream and equipped on all AR's.