PDA

View Full Version : Which 30mm "One piece" Mount

timmy8151
03-05-2007, 8:46 AM
I'm finally going to get around and build up a Varmint AR rig. I am going to be using a DPMS Upper and want to mount my 10x42 Super Sniper scope. I think I'm going to go with a One piece mount to attach the scope. After doing a little research I've found the following options:

1) LaRue SPR mount- ~$200
2) JP 30mm mount- $150
3) Armalite 30mm mount- $90
4) Model 1 Sales 30mm mount- $50 (with C&R Discount)

I know that the LaRue is the best mount however, I'm not sure that I want to spend that amount of money. The scope isn't going to be taken off that much so I dont think I need the QD levers.

If anyone has any experience with any of the above mounts or can recommend another one that'd be great

C.G.
03-05-2007, 9:03 AM
I don't know about the others, but the Armalite one piece works just fine for me. Picked up an unused one for $50 on EE at ARF.com.

Harbinger
03-05-2007, 9:29 AM
+1 for the Armalite, it's a fantastic mount.

Also, keep your eye on their website for half price close-outs on the 'Real-tree' versions.

Mike

maxicon
03-05-2007, 10:15 AM
I like the Armalite too - it's the best value in a one-piece, especially if you buy it used. It doesn't offer as much eye relief as the LaRue (especially the extended version) or the JP.

The JP looks good, but isn't a quick disconnect mount (not usually an issue on a varmint rifle, unless you're changing optics a lot). For the money the JP costs, though, I'd pony up a little more for the LaRue, which is generally considered the best of the lot.

I don't like the looks of the Model 1 much, but I don't have any experience with it.

RRA also makes an inexpensive one-piece mount, but it has the worst eye relief of the bunch - not much different from a pair of rings on your receiver.

donger
03-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Go with the SPR mount from LaRue.

Technical Ted
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I've got an older Aimpoint and a couple of Larue's.

Both designs work great, but I prefer the Larue for it's simplicity of attachment and set up.

Jicko
03-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I would say.... a pair of ARMS #22 HIGH, unless you REALLY want 1 piece and not QD, then maybe you can look into ARMS #35.

timmy8151
03-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

As I posted above, I really like the LaRue mount, but money is a little tight right now. Also I don't plan on removing the scope much, so the QD aspect of the LaRue isnt as important to me.

Does anyone have experience with the Model 1 mount? Its half the price of the Armalite and the rings look like they sit a little higher.

Technical Ted
03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
There's also the new GG&G Accucam mount. No experience with it, but GG& G makes good quality products that I do have experience with. It is $50 cheaper than the Larue
http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=149&parents=69,116

C.G.
03-05-2007, 3:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

As I posted above, I really like the LaRue mount, but money is a little tight right now. Also I don't plan on removing the scope much, so the QD aspect of the LaRue isnt as important to me.

Does anyone have experience with the Model 1 mount? Its half the price of the Armalite and the rings look like they sit a little higher.

I know some people like Model 1 sales, I've heard enough about them not to give them a try.
BTW, my one piece Armalite is high enough for a 56mm scope.

blkA4alb
03-05-2007, 4:27 PM
I'm really happy with my A.R.M.S. #35 30mm QD track mount. I have taken it on and off probably 30 times without a single change in zero. Here's a picture of it.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/blkA4alb/Untitled4.jpg

Sniper3142
03-05-2007, 5:31 PM
I currently have Armalite and ARMS mounts but plan on upgrading both the Larue mounts. :)

IMHO it is worth every penny.

Jicko
03-05-2007, 7:05 PM
I currently have Armalite and ARMS mounts but plan on upgrading both the Larue mounts. :)

IMHO it is worth every penny.

Wanna sell your ARMS?

timmy8151
03-05-2007, 7:29 PM
I currently have Armalite and ARMS mounts but plan on upgrading both the Larue mounts.

If your Armalite is 30mm I'd be very interested in buying it off you