PDA

View Full Version : My first Featureless Rifle =) Pics + Vid

peter95
12-11-2011, 9:06 PM
So guys... Guess what I decided to do :p

Talked to a bunch of guys in here to make sure I do the right thing and it has finally been done.
Special thanks to lawaia
Took me about a week to put it together....

Running.

PWS TTO
Pinned Magpul ACS Stock
DD OmegaX12.0
No more BB =)
Custom made Featureless Grip.

Spent all day at Burro today from a reservation that was made 5 months ahead and really got to enjoy the featureless....

Honestly, I wish I would have done this a long long time ago.... Even my wife enjoyed it.... Excuse to build her one :D

Here are some pics of a few toys and videos....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6496450251_aa6ae1b1d6_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7009/6496453301_24bc2be549_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6497517827_3333f95d0a_b.jpg

AtPs1CTz4lY&context

Wife Shooting an AR for the first time....
VSPOiGUdyUA&context

peter95
12-11-2011, 9:06 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6497522151_4d44c5dc50_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6497516159_dfde15b218_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6497520545_d7da0cb432_b.jpg

peter95
12-11-2011, 9:19 PM
1. I was shooting 10 rounders since I did not have any high caps with me. Finished building my featureless last night =)

2. Im 30 years old

3. look at #1

Thanks

nimbus
12-11-2011, 9:30 PM
Nice build! Where'd you get that grip fin from?

quagmiles
12-11-2011, 9:35 PM
Ignore the Magazine police. Thats a good looking rifle.

shortround1
12-11-2011, 9:38 PM
Sounds like he was old enough to buy real mags in '99. I feel sorry for the guys under 30 in this regard.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and nice rifle by the way. :D

peter95
12-11-2011, 9:42 PM
Sounds like he was old enough to buy real mags in '99. I feel sorry for the guys under 30 in this regard.

thank you.... Yes, I have a few from 99. Lucky me....

whatpain
12-11-2011, 9:43 PM
nice rifle. were are you shooting at?

peter95
12-11-2011, 9:45 PM

was shooting at a target behind the boxes... I dont think you could see it from the video

ollie415
12-11-2011, 9:50 PM
i thought i heard it all, but man....magazine police?...thats funny

shortround1
12-11-2011, 9:51 PM

Do you mean at what shooting range was it? I think he said Burro Canyon, it's in the Azusa area.

jbe90
12-11-2011, 9:52 PM
Looks a lot of fun.
Nice build OP.

Fot
12-11-2011, 9:53 PM
LOL mag police..

Nice rifle man

ChaneRZ
12-11-2011, 9:58 PM
People are just jealous. Nice rifle!

SDgarrick
12-11-2011, 9:59 PM
woa woa woa... whose got contraband magazines? :shock:

peter95
12-11-2011, 10:00 PM
haha thanks guys.... Funny comments btw

Colt-45
12-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Excellent rifle, how much was the Eotech setup?

peter95
12-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Excellent rifle, how much was the Eotech setup?

The Eotech was purchased for $400 and the Magnifier is from Primary Arms. with mount I believe I paid $70 from someone in the classifieds.

I tinkered around with a real Eotech magnifier and the PA is pretty much same. Not a huge difference IMO except for the price.

KaTooM
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
You need a really good Lawyer to post on the internets now days...it used to be fun.

glock7
12-12-2011, 1:04 AM
very nice i'm seriously thinking of doing a featureless. i think it would help with doing malfunction drills and malfs themselves, besides that bb is for the birds.

NorCalAthlete
12-12-2011, 1:49 AM
:shrug: I don't recall there ever being an age limit just to buy mags...

TheExpertish
12-12-2011, 2:02 AM
:shrug: I don't recall there ever being an age limit just to buy mags...
Indeed. Nice build. Always good to see female shooters in action. That way I have evidence to show my wife when she's being a wuss and only wants to shoot the .22 and .25. Considering doing one myself, but we'll see.

colossians323
12-12-2011, 3:04 AM
Oh hello, are you the magazine police? If not, get off the guy's ***.

OP, nice build! :thumbsup:

Not understanding the magazine police here. I have 4 kids under 18. I gifted them plenty of Hi Caps before 2000 to insure that hey would have the normal capacity mags if the laws did not change.

21SF
12-12-2011, 6:09 AM

woa woa woa... whose got contraband magazines? :shock:

Feel sorry for yourself, bud.\

Woa woa woa who are you?

zfields
12-12-2011, 7:09 AM
Nice. I added in a peice on the right side of the grip to act as a thumb rest. Makes it MUCH more comfortable , even more so if you are shooting on the move.

dieselpower
12-12-2011, 7:11 AM
it looks like she is shooting over the mountain? was there a target up there?

Nice rifle and pistol. That pistol looks fun as all hell.

peter95
12-12-2011, 7:12 AM
Nice. I added in a peice on the right side of the grip to act as a thumb rest. Makes it MUCH more comfortable , even more so if you are shooting on the move.

Yeah, I bet!

I'm actually working on another design for a thumb rest...! Great minds think alike! Haha

zfields
12-12-2011, 7:15 AM
Yeah, I bet!

I'm actually working on another design for a thumb rest...! Great minds think alike! Haha

I had it on an AK, was easy, was a hole there already from the conversion. Just used a pan head screw and a nylon bushing. Made it go from akward to pretty decent.

Still not used to shooting with a normal pistol grip since I have moved.

warmaker
12-12-2011, 8:10 AM
Nice rifle man, but can i ask how you got that specific area to shoot at burrow because i have never seen that are open to the public before, last time i went they told us that the are to your right as you drive into burrow was seized by the forestry people and no longer in their control..

sigma6
12-12-2011, 8:45 AM
Nice grip, seems like you wrapped some real/fake carbon fiber around magpul grip and called it a day. How much did it set you back?

peter95
12-12-2011, 8:46 AM
I believe that last time ymyoi are referring to was because of the fire they had. That particular section was closed off for a while but now they are open...

MontClaire
12-12-2011, 8:50 AM
Nice getting around all the crap about features and all. Great job!I like your magnifier set up. It's not too heavy, right?

peter95
12-12-2011, 8:51 AM
Nice grip, seems like you wrapped some real/fake carbon fiber around magpul grip and called it a day. How much did it set you back?

It was actually a product called sintra PVC board... It can be molded with some strong heat, and when it cools down it gets pretty hard. After the mold, I wrapped it with cf and done.

My buddy and I are looking to make more. The one on my rifle now was our second mold... We are going to work with kydex next...
If we get enough interests, we're thinking about making some and possibly selling them in the near future for a good price, and not an arm and a leg like some places... Im getting a good number of pm's so i guess we'll see where that goes.

My buddy and I have a lot of experience in this molding field. School and car applications we did in the past so it seemed like a fun project...

peter95
12-12-2011, 8:52 AM
Nice getting around all the crap about features and all. Great job!I like your magnifier set up. It's not too heavy, right?

My rifle weighs total of 8.8lbs right now. Nog bad at ll for me. I'm a pretty big guy and don't have a hard time at all holding it up...

11HE9
12-12-2011, 9:21 AM
Nice rifle OP !!

I think I need to start collecting parts for a featureless build :cool:

*Dumb question*

Does the paddle over the pistol grip need to be permanently attached (glued?) , or are the screws sufficient to keep "The Man" happy??

peter95
12-12-2011, 9:26 AM
Nice rifle OP !!

I think I need to start collecting parts for a featureless build :cool:

*Dumb question*

Does the paddle over the pistol grip need to be permanently attached (glued?) , or are the screws sufficient to keep "The Man" happy??

Looking at solar Tactical's design on their slip on cover, I would guess that it is ok, but I cant give you a definite answer since DOJ hasnt' really mentioned anything about Permanent attachment from what I know....

I believe as long as you cant remove the attachment with your bare hands and need tools to do so, it should be ok.

Those screws in there are in really tight and the mold was made to fit like a glove so it doesn't come off easily....

dieselpower
12-12-2011, 9:28 AM
and you need to update post #3 & tell people that muzzel device is a PWS TTO comp, NOT a PWS FSC556... dont want the flash hider police to get their panties in a bunch.

11HE9
12-12-2011, 9:43 AM
I believe as long as you cant remove the attachment with your bare hands and need tools to do so, it should be ok.

Those screws in there are in really tight and the mold was made to fit like a glove so it doesn't come off easily....

Makes sence...

Time to start collecting parts and get those old magazines out of storage :D

zfields
12-12-2011, 9:47 AM
Makes sence...

Time to start collecting parts and get those old magazines out of storage :D

FWIW I riveted mine and used some feathering adhesive to keep it snug on the grip.

Deadon
12-12-2011, 9:48 AM
Nice build.
Its funny because what the future hold for young shooters. As years go by how will they explain being 2 years old in 99 and buying mags,lol

11HE9
12-12-2011, 9:57 AM
FWIW I riveted mine and used some feathering adhesive to keep it snug on the grip.

Good idea

Anyone have a pic of the thumb rest mod?

peter95
12-12-2011, 9:58 AM
and you need to update post #3 & tell people that muzzel device is a PWS TTO comp, NOT a PWS FSC556... dont want the flash hider police to get their panties in a bunch.

I had it posted PWS TTO on the first post... =)

Nice build.
Its funny because what the future hold for young shooters. As years go by how will they explain being 2 years old in 99 and buying mags,lol

lol... well technically their parents could have grandfathered them their high cap magazines so when they get old, they wouldn't have to worry about being limited, because technically, they were given to legally.

The problem will be for the young generation that were born after 2000.

Good idea

Im working on that design this weekend =)

I guess they can be gifted. If so I'll be in good shape. But if you weren't alive prior to 1999 then it might get tricky.

Silly stuff.

Grip looks cool BTW.

yeah... sorry for those future kids that did not get any gifted items before 2000. We are the lucky generation

FourLoko
12-12-2011, 9:59 AM
Nice build.

I guess they can be gifted. If so I'll be in good shape. But if you weren't alive prior to 1999 then it might get tricky.

Silly stuff.

Grip looks cool BTW.

zfields
12-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Good idea

You dont want to see mine. It was ugly, but worked.

Im a very much function > looks person.

hcbr
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Very Nice :thumbsup:

Agent Tikki
12-12-2011, 10:47 AM
can you custom make me one, rh handed with a thumbrest? :D

Fate
12-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Nice rig. Welcome to the party. :party:

peter95
12-12-2011, 12:12 PM
can you custom make me one, rh handed with a thumbrest? :D

Of course I can. We're currently working on a model with a thumb rest.
Pm replied. Thanks for your interest

TwoAsoapbox
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
A word of caution, lets not push the limits too far. For every person that gets caught with an illegal "assault weapon" or one that is border-line legal and has it confiscated (albeit hopefully temporarilly) it will just make things harder and harder in the future. The BB on centerfire AR's has become widely accepted by the DOJ and law enforcement agencies around the state...so please just use one. If you want a releasable mag get a .22 lr for practice and cheap fun.

I dont like the laws either, trust me. If you want to effect change, do it by joining the CRPA and/or the NRA, by writing letters and by exposing others to shooting sports. We are lucky to be able to have AR type rifles so lets stay out of the gray area the best we can. Just be careful...same goes for openly using "pre-ban" 30's....its just not worth it.

zfields
12-12-2011, 1:00 PM
Lets not push the limits too far. For every person that gets caught with an illegal "assault weapon" or one that is border-line legal it will just make things harder and harder in the future. The BB on centerfire AR's has become widely accepted by the DOJ and law enforcement agencies around the state...so please just use one. If you want a releasable mag get a .22 lr for practice and cheap fun.

I dont like the laws either, trust me. If you want to effect change, do it by joining the CRPA and/or the NRA, by writing letters and by exposing others to shooting sports. We are lucky to be able to have AR type rifles so lets stay out of the gray area the best we can. Just be careful...same goes for using "pre-ban" 30's....its just not worth it.

Brady plant?

:ban:

jonc
12-12-2011, 1:03 PM
look like EAST1??? BEST RANGE!!!

the vid looks like wife AR shooting high...
whats your targets?

So guys... Guess what I decided to do :p

Talked to a bunch of guys in here to make sure I do the right thing and it has finally been done. Took me about a week to put it together....

Running.

PWS TTO
Pinned Magpul ACS Stock
DD OmegaX12.0
No more BB =)
Custom made Featureless Grip.

Spent all day at Burro today from a reservation that was made 5 months ahead and really got to enjoy the featureless....

Honestly, I wish I would have done this a long long time ago.... Even my wife enjoyed it.... Excuse to build her one :D

Here are some pics of a few toys and videos....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6496450251_aa6ae1b1d6_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7009/6496453301_24bc2be549_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6497517827_3333f95d0a_b.jpg

AtPs1CTz4lY&context

Wife Shooting an AR for the first time....
VSPOiGUdyUA&context

TwoAsoapbox
12-12-2011, 1:28 PM
[QUOTE=zfields;7655805]Brady plant?

Yea, Im a Brady plant whos advocating people to join the NRA and the CRPA. Are you serious!? Please read what I wrote more carefully before posting an accusation like that! I own three ARs and plenty of other guns, not to mention Im a life member of both organizations mentioned above. We are already the most anti-gun state in the country. Lets not give the media and legislators more ammo (so to speak) by bending the rules too far! Its a simple concept, take what you will from it.

zfields
12-12-2011, 1:34 PM
[QUOTE=zfields;7655805]Brady plant?

Yea, Im a Brady plant whos advocating people to join the NRA and the CRPA. Are you serious!? Please read what I wrote more carefully before posting an accusation like that! I own three ARs and plenty of other guns, not to mention Im a life member of both organizations mentioned above. We are already the most anti-gun state in the country. Lets not give the media and legislators more ammo (so to speak) by bending the rules too far! Its a simple concept, take what you will from it.

I read exactly what you said, and it was garbage. So because it might just possibly be considered illegal by an ill informed person, we shouldn't have it.

Thinking like that we would never have had the OLL movement.

TwoAsoapbox
12-12-2011, 2:08 PM
If we want to lose the ability to have OLL's then keep playing around with modified grips and openly running "pre-ban" 30s in your ARs with no BB. This isnt about being ill-informed or not, its about bad press, negative public opinion and bending the rules too far. Im simply saying that we need to be careful so that us AR owners arent the ones helping to push the laws in the wrong direction. I dont appreciate you accusing me of being a Brady plant and I also dont appreciate you calling my post garbage! You should be more careful with what you say....check your PM.

Deadon
12-12-2011, 2:11 PM
If we want to loose the ability to have OLL's then keep playing around with modified grips and running "pre-ban" 30s in your ARs. This isnt about being ill-informed or not, its about bad press and public opinion. Im simply saying that we need to be careful so that us AR owners arent the ones to help push the laws in the wrong direction. I dont appreciate you accusing me of being a Brady plant and I also dont appreciate you calling my post garbage! You should be more careful with what you say....
I hear ya bro, get use to it. Its just the way it is with some. If you dont agree 100% with some here then you are the enemy.

peter95
12-12-2011, 3:14 PM
look like EAST1??? BEST RANGE!!!

the vid looks like wife AR shooting high...
whats your targets?

If you look closely, you may be able to see a puff of dirt being kicked up. We were shooting at this white patch on the mountain.... I think it might be a white patch of dirt of some sort...

MrPlink
12-12-2011, 5:09 PM
I dig the fin grip, looks 100 times better than my hack jobs!

if you were alive you were old enough to buy em!

this where you get the "I found my Dad's old army man bag and look what it was filled with!" :rolleyes:

Flying Bones
12-12-2011, 5:20 PM
Sick! I'm doing mine soon. Who'd you get your TTO from?

Since when was there an age limit on buying magazines?

peter95
12-12-2011, 5:52 PM
Sick! I'm doing mine soon. Who'd you get your TTO from?

Since when was there an age limit on buying magazines?

I bought my tto on the forums, brand new... It's an awesome break

SarcoBlaster
12-12-2011, 5:57 PM
Not understanding the magazine police here. I have 4 kids under 18. I gifted them plenty of Hi Caps before 2000 to insure that hey would have the normal capacity mags if the laws did not change.
My comment wasn't directed at the OP; it was directed at some DB (whose posts have since been removed) doubting that the OP didn't legally own any standard capacity magazines prior to 2000.

Frankly, none of his business.

jonc
12-12-2011, 6:03 PM
If you look closely, you may be able to see a puff of dirt being kicked up. We were shooting at this white patch on the mountain.... I think it might be a white patch of dirt of some sort...

Thought it was clay thrower shooting:D

peter95
12-12-2011, 6:05 PM
Thought it was clay thrower shooting:D

Oooh my... Good idea lol

KaTooM
12-12-2011, 6:10 PM
Epic..a rifle that fires 5.56 in Ca. Must be deadly. Can we get a mag dump video?

Drivedabizness
12-12-2011, 7:02 PM
The Eotech was purchased for $400 and the Magnifier is from Primary Arms. with mount I believe I paid $70 from someone in the classifieds.

I tinkered around with a real Eotech magnifier and the PA is pretty much same. Not a huge difference IMO except for the price.

I wonder if the Primary Arms magnifier would work with an Aimpoint....:TFH:

peter95
12-12-2011, 7:57 PM
I wonder if the Primary Arms magnifier would work with an Aimpoint....:TFH:

I believe it does... But depending on which aim point you have, it might look funny. Huge magnifier and small red dot.....

Someone post a pic if you have this set up.... I'm curious too

jrr
12-12-2011, 9:49 PM
Veeery nice. The rifle is boss, but the pistol is just dead sexy. :sweatdrop:

And re: "pushing the boundaries" This isnt pushing things. No pistol grip = legal. Its is every bit as legal as a BB. And pre ban mags = legal. I understand your reservations man, but this isnt the same as the OC guys scaring soccer moms in Starbucks for the hell of it.

I have a box of M1 carbine high caps that I am moderately comfortable using since the carbine looks so benign and Im not likely to get hassled. But Im scared to death to use my pre ban AR mags because even gun guys start giving you the stink eye here in CA. Its BS. Its my property, and I should be able to use it.

Good on the OP for going out there and "normalizing" featureless with high caps. If people at the range get used to it, it ceases to be such an issue.

TwoAsoapbox
12-12-2011, 10:44 PM
It is total BS jrr, I'll be the first to admit it. CA's laws are bogus right now but Im glad we have the OLL option because I love my AR's, especially my predator gun. I see your point about the pistol grip and other features and I know what is and isnt legal. All Im trying to convey is that we all need to be careful because we are treading on pretty thin ice. Lets do our best to not draw any unwanted or negative attention. If we all keep working hopefully the laws will change some day...the key is change for the better. As cool as the OP's gun is, "featureless" guns are really pushing the envelope....so is openly using pre-ban 30 rounders.

Also, btw...the OC and Bay Area guys were practicing open carry to protest the inability to obtain a LTC. And now look what happened, open carry is banned. Whats stopping the legislators from amending the AWB to include "all AR-15 type rifles?" Not much at this point....so lets just be careful and keep fighting the good fight.

And also, please refrain from the term "high cap," it has a bad connotation. Your M1 was designed to use a magazine that holds 20 rounds so they are standard capacity magazines for that gun.

richard310
12-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Of course I can. We're currently working on a model with a thumb rest.
Pm replied. Thanks for your interest
lookin good peter! wish i couldve made it. -_- looked like a lot of fun. too bad i stopped traffic in front of RifleGear.. didnt even have a chance to pick up that muzzle brake.

SuperSet
12-12-2011, 11:03 PM
You're going to get disagreement from many folks regarding your own terminology. Featureless builds are no more 'pushing the envelope' than bullet button builds. And your analogy about UOC is flawed considering CGF warned that the UOC movement would lead to further bans. Show me where the same has been said about openly using featureless guns.

Jwood562
12-12-2011, 11:36 PM
whats up with the female shooting at like at 20 degree angle. how high up was the target? LOL

peter95
12-13-2011, 6:01 AM
whats up with the female shooting at like at 20 degree angle. how high up was the target? LOL

she was aiming at a white patch of dirt on the mountain..... ill try re-uploading it on High def... You could see the dirt get kicked up. Was fun!!!

Rich, next time bro. We are reserving another range this week at burro. That means, we will be able to shoot like in a year lol

lawaia
12-13-2011, 9:02 AM
Nice job, Peter!:thumbsup:

peter95
12-13-2011, 9:35 AM
Nice job, Peter!:thumbsup:

I owe it all to you!!! Thanks for all the help!!!!! :party:

Us3rName
12-13-2011, 9:42 AM
Nice featureless rifle my man.

are you starting a business making featureless grips and stuff? Your grip looks very comfortable to hold.

TwoAsoapbox needs to stop trolling this thread. This rifle is no different than a BB rifle with all evil features. I see no weight in your arguments. There are no relevant connections between featureless rifles and ULOC. stop trolling.

peter95
12-13-2011, 9:51 AM

are you starting a business making featureless grips and stuff? Your grip looks very comfortable to hold.

TwoAsoapbox needs to stop trolling this thread. This rifle is no different than a BB rifle with all evil features. I see no weight in your arguments. There are no relevant connections between featureless rifles and ULOC. stop trolling.

Hey, thanks!

Yes, my buddy and I are thinking about pushing slip on covers for featureless rifles.... We are most likely going to do it. Currently, we are gathering some materials and seem like we got a good material for our first try.

We are going to start fabricating kydex next for those with smaller hands to grip (The one I am currently using in the picture is pretty thick, but great for my hands, im a big guy) and will start making actual 100% Carbon Fiver slip on covers, if we get enough interest.

The current one pictured is a hardened CF Wrap that is wrapped by heat and very, very durable.

I've got a few pm's regarding these, and thought why not? My friend has a background in design and R&D and we used to work on fabricating many many parts in the past. We'll see how it goes....

Your grip looks very comfortable to hold.

Funny I may add. My friend told me when I was shooting his AR, (Which is not a featureless btw) he noticed that I didn't even grip on his pistol grip with my thumb around it. I didn't even know until he pointed it out to me lol.... Yes, I guess it was so comfortable that when I went back to a regular rifle, I still held it with my thumb to the same side as the other fingers lol

TwoAsoapbox
12-13-2011, 10:30 AM

OK....you guys are right. We're not on their radar at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFq1nduK1hk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM7dy7JbsX8&feature=share

Im done.

Fiveohmike
12-13-2011, 1:19 PM

Im done.

So we shouldnt even take our black rifles to the range by your account?

lawaia
12-13-2011, 1:33 PM

Im done.

Those videos are from 2007 and 2008. I think we are past that point in time.

Can we give the OP a break now? I think his thread has been jacked enough. If you want to discuss the merits of featureless, you can start your own thread. Thanks.

Us3rName
12-13-2011, 1:39 PM
Hey, thanks!

Yes, my buddy and I are thinking about pushing slip on covers for featureless rifles.... We are most likely going to do it. Currently, we are gathering some materials and seem like we got a good material for our first try.

We are going to start fabricating kydex next for those with smaller hands to grip (The one I am currently using in the picture is pretty thick, but great for my hands, im a big guy) and will start making actual 100% Carbon Fiver slip on covers, if we get enough interest.

The current one pictured is a hardened CF Wrap that is wrapped by heat and very, very durable.

I've got a few pm's regarding these, and thought why not? My friend has a background in design and R&D and we used to work on fabricating many many parts in the past. We'll see how it goes....

Funny I may add. My friend told me when I was shooting his AR, (Which is not a featureless btw) he noticed that I didn't even grip on his pistol grip with my thumb around it. I didn't even know until he pointed it out to me lol.... Yes, I guess it was so comfortable that when I went back to a regular rifle, I still held it with my thumb to the same side as the other fingers lol

Lol on the latter part. Funny that you mentioned that as well because I've shot a featureless ar my buddy built and when I came back to my own ar with standard grip, I still had my thumb positioned the same way I had on the featureless.

I look forward to seeing some of your designs. :cool2:

according to the troll, we shouldn't own black rifles anymore... :rolleyes:

peter95
12-13-2011, 1:44 PM
Can we give the OP a break now? I think his thread has been jacked enough. If you want to discuss the merits of featureless, you can start your own thread. Thanks.

lol... It's all good. It was fun reading what others thought about the laws and featureless nowdays..... as long as the thread doesn't die with the highjacked topic =)

Lol on the latter part. Funny that you mentioned that as well because I've shot a featureless ar my buddy built and when I came back to my own ar with standard grip, I still had my thumb positioned the same way I had on the featureless.

I look forward to seeing some of your designs. :cool2:

according to the troll, we shouldn't own black rifles anymore... :rolleyes:

haha, seriously.... never thought how comfortable the featureless grip would be compared to the actual pistol grip.....

From now on, I think featureless has gained a special place in my heart :p

I do view the featureless rifle being a complete rifle than a non featureless.... Of course, NO BB is good enough for me, and shall be for EVERYONE...!

Us3rName
12-13-2011, 1:54 PM
Of course, NO BB is good enough for me, and shall be for EVERYONE...!

The sole reason I am going featureless...

I have in mind a dissipator styled upper, medium profile 18" maybe 20"

as light as possible with medium profile.

everything else is in the works. I am however attracted to your grip wrap :D

peter95
12-13-2011, 1:58 PM
The sole reason I am going featureless...

I have in mind a dissipator styled upper, medium profile 18" maybe 20"

as light as possible with medium profile.

everything else is in the works. I am however attracted to your grip wrap :D

=) pm me if you are interested.... First round will be fairly cheap and in return we would like to hear feedback from you. Thinking of some sort of Lifetime warranty on wrap as long as you dont tear it or break it on purpose haha.

richard310
12-13-2011, 2:15 PM
once finals are over we'll get started Pete.. meaning you need to stop browsing CG and start studying! lol

peter95
12-13-2011, 2:17 PM
once finals are over we'll get started Pete.. meaning you need to stop browsing CG and start studying! lol

LOL... No worries... You finish your mold project for class lol.... Sending txt right now haha

akjunkie
12-13-2011, 9:34 PM
If we want to lose the ability to have OLL's then keep playing around with modified grips and openly running "pre-ban" 30s in your ARs with no BB. This isnt about being ill-informed or not, its about bad press, negative public opinion and bending the rules too far. Im simply saying that we need to be careful so that us AR owners arent the ones helping to push the laws in the wrong direction. I dont appreciate you accusing me of being a Brady plant and I also dont appreciate you calling my post garbage! You should be more careful with what you say....check your PM.

How is the Kydex grip different from the Monster Man Grip?????????????????

Cali-Shooter
12-13-2011, 9:49 PM
Good use of the Eotech and magnifier. Nice rifle :thumbsup:

Cali-Shooter
12-13-2011, 9:51 PM
How is the Kydex grip different from the Monster Man Grip?????????????????

The kydex grip wrap usually goes over an already existing pistol grip, nullifying the classification of said pistol grip as a legally defined "pistol grip," by making it so that the thumb cannot wrap around the grip.

MMG's replace the entire grip with a custom manufactured grip that "hugs" the gun and allows a grip without allowing the thumb to wrap around the grip as well.

EDIT: I just found the perfect photo to illustrate my point, here's two rifles with different "featureless" configuration styles, the AR has a MMG, and the AK has a kydex grip wrap (you can see it still uses a normal pistol grip under the kydex).

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/902/pict0022dt.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/pict0022dt.jpg/)

DrScorpio
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM

Looks like I will also be "bending the rules" and making "bad press" by working on my own legal featureless build!

To OP: grats on your beautiful legal firearm. I'll be joining the featureless club shortly.

peter95
12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Looks like I will also be "bending the rules" and making "bad press" by working on my own legal featureless build!

To OP: grats on your beautiful legal firearm. I'll be joining the featureless club shortly.

Aha, thank guys.... I can't wait to start making some designs =)

Bull's_eye
12-13-2011, 11:32 PM
What is your setup with the magnifier and red dot? How do you like it?

peter95
12-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Its the Eotech XPS-2 with the Primary Arms 5x magnifier and their side mount... I really like it a lot! Works great, clean sight picture. I usually use it if I want better accuracy past 100 yards. At 100 yards, it looks pretty good.

Most of the time, I use the red dot only though, or iron sights. Magnifier is used when I get a bit bored haha.

Bull's_eye
12-14-2011, 1:05 AM
How does that side mount work? Do you swing it over in front of the Eotech when you want to use it?

peter95
12-14-2011, 1:45 AM
How does that side mount work? Do you swing it over in front of the Eotech when you want to use it?

yes. Its attached by a spring that is always giving tension towards the front and it is stopped by a notch. Once you pull it back, you can swing it over to the side.

It will either stay to the side or right in front of the eotech.

If you look at both videos, you could see how the magnifier is to the side, and not obstructing any view through the Eotech. I like it.....
Im getting a lot of questions on it, maybe I should make a video on the magnifier and Eotech

akjunkie
12-14-2011, 6:29 AM
The kydex grip wrap usually goes over an already existing pistol grip, nullifying the classification of said pistol grip as a legally defined "pistol grip," by making it so that the thumb cannot wrap around the grip.

MMG's replace the entire grip with a custom manufactured grip that "hugs" the gun and allows a grip without allowing the thumb to wrap around the grip as well.

EDIT: I just found the perfect photo to illustrate my point, here's two rifles with different "featureless" configuration styles, the AR has a MMG, and the AK has a kydex grip wrap (you can see it still uses a normal pistol grip under the kydex).

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/902/pict0022dt.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/221/pict0022dt.jpg/)

http://www.solartactical.com/AR15-A2-STYLE-KYDEX-SLIP-ON-GRIP-136.htm

peter95
12-14-2011, 11:26 AM
http://www.solartactical.com/AR15-A2-STYLE-KYDEX-SLIP-ON-GRIP-136.htm

??? What about it?

0351USMC
12-14-2011, 12:41 PM
thank you.... Yes, I have a few from 99. Lucky me....

are you sure those USGI mag in picture is Preban??;)
most Preban USGI mags dont have markings like that both side of mag body:cool2:

zfields
12-14-2011, 12:52 PM

Maybe he rebuilt and old one, which is legal...

Gotta love the mag police.

JaeOne3345
12-14-2011, 1:01 PM

Why do you even care?

He is using those magazines in a configuration that is totally legal. How he got them, when he got them, etc is none of your business. It's on the DOJ to waste their time unlocking the mystery of if, how, when, etc. Not yours.

You magazine police people need to give it up.

As we repeat over and over again on these forums, his possession of those magazines is not illegal and he is using them legally, in a legal configuration.

End of discussion.

Same goes with anyone doubting the legality of a featureless set up.

I suggest you study the flow chart again. His rifle is in a legal configuration for California.

End of discussion.

Stop spreading FUD.

I question who's side many of you are on anyway.

To the OP: Enjoy your rifle. Ignore the magazine police. Just keep documentation (like the flowchart) on your person if you do ever feel worried.

Also, stay away from ranges with ignorant inhabitants who do not understand the law.

Edit: Wasn't the Exile machine or some other featureless grip already proven IN COURT to be legal? Broken record around here....

JaeOne3345
12-14-2011, 1:02 PM

Exactly.

peter95
12-14-2011, 1:28 PM

Exactly what I did.... Thanks for explaining... :clap:

Why do you even care?

He is using those magazines in a configuration that is totally legal. How he got them, when he got them, etc is none of your business. It's on the DOJ to waste their time unlocking the mystery of if, how, when, etc. Not yours.

You magazine police people need to give it up.

As we repeat over and over again on these forums, his possession of those magazines is not illegal and he is using them legally, in a legal configuration.

End of discussion.

Same goes with anyone doubting the legality of a featureless set up.

I suggest you study the flow chart again. His rifle is in a legal configuration for California.

End of discussion.

Stop spreading FUD.

I question who's side many of you are on anyway.

To the OP: Enjoy your rifle. Ignore the magazine police. Just keep documentation (like the flowchart) on your person if you do ever feel worried.

Also, stay away from ranges with ignorant inhabitants who do not understand the law.

Edit: Wasn't the Exile machine or some other featureless grip already proven IN COURT to be legal? Broken record around here....

Thank you...

Yes, Exile received a confirmation that these featureless grip set up are not considered as a pistol grip, therefore not an AW.

Exactly.

:D

TwoAsoapbox
12-14-2011, 5:54 PM

Will do. For the record, my original post was meant to be a simple, isolated point but then I was accused of being a "Brady plant" and it was blown way out of proportion.

To the OP, sorry for mucking up your thread. You built a really nice rifle. Hopefully all AR-15 type rifles remain legal in the future....featurless or otherwise.

peter95
12-15-2011, 6:33 AM
Will do. For the record, my original post was meant to be a simple, isolated point but then I was accused of being a "Brady plant" and it was blown way out of proportion.

To the OP, sorry for mucking up your thread. You built a really nice rifle. Hopefully all AR-15 type rifles remain legal in the future....featurless or otherwise.

Thanks, and I'm sure there will be no problem, as long as featureless people don't rub it in the face of the media, we should all be fine....

Fate
12-15-2011, 4:01 PM

Yes, but this is not the only thread you've posted similar NONSENSE in. Fin grips and featureless rifles running legally owned/borrowed large capacity magazines are not "on the edge" of being legal. They're squarely behind the line. Please stop spreading baseless fear, uncertainty and doubt.

tomd1584
12-15-2011, 4:26 PM
Great looking rifle, OP!

:cheers2:

peter95
12-15-2011, 9:09 PM
Great looking rifle, OP!

:cheers2:

Thanks...!

PM'd back all those that pm'd me about the slip on covers... Thanks all for your interest and I will get back to you guys next week when we start the small production of slip ons...

CSACANNONEER
12-16-2011, 6:27 AM

Since featureless ARs have been being sold in Ca gun stores since 1999 (when it was still possible to register them and then add features) and the first fixed mag ARs did not come out until 2002 (FAB10s), I don't see your point. The simple fact is that featureless ARs have been around longer than fixed mag ARs have. Featureless ARs are really what the public must want us to have otherwise, they would not have made a list of prohibited evil features. Right? The magazine locks and later the releasing magazine locks were developed to push the envelope and allow those who wanted to to have evil features on their rifles. Please don't spread anymore FUD about featureless builds. Is acts like yours that do more damage to our gun rights and the public's preception of what is legal and what is not than any Brady will ever do.

Tangorox
12-16-2011, 8:15 PM
Amen to that!!!^^

c3 rolling
12-16-2011, 8:46 PM
Since LEO's can buy 30 round mags, can they use them on featureless rifle's if they dont own a registered AW?

Nice rifle OP btw

CSACANNONEER
12-16-2011, 8:48 PM
Since LEO's can buy 30 round mags, can they use them on featureless rifle's if they dont own a registered AW?

Nice rifle OP btw

Anyone can use any legally owned magazine in a featureless rifle with a detachable magazine.

0351USMC
12-16-2011, 9:03 PM
Anyone can use any legally owned magazine in a featureless rifle with a detachable magazine.

True,but repairing/rebuilding Preban mag with Post Ban LEO/MIL only marking High Cap Magazine is IMO not good idea.

CSACANNONEER
12-16-2011, 9:07 PM
True,but repairing/rebuilding Preban mag with Post Ban LEO/MIL only marking High Cap Magazine is IMO not good idea.

Why? Those marking don't mean squat. They do prove that the mag bodies were made between 1994 and 2004 but, who cares? In fact, if you look at it that way, most LE/MIL marked mags were manufactured prior to the Ca ban. REally, who cares what a mag body says? Markings do not prove anyything one way or another.

peter95
12-17-2011, 5:07 PM
Why? Those marking don't mean squat. They do prove that the mag bodies were made between 1994 and 2004 but, who cares? In fact, if you look at it that way, most LE/MIL marked mags were manufactured prior to the Ca ban. REally, who cares what a mag body says? Markings do not prove anyything one way or another.

Amen to that....

People, you guys need to realize that markings are nothing. You have legally acquired 30rd mags and they may be repaired as you please....

peter95
12-17-2011, 5:08 PM
Why do we keep arguing about this on this thread. Those who have a problem, please start a new one.... Thanks.

peter95
12-29-2011, 6:11 PM
Just made one for someone... Here's a pic.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7003/6597927857_cd09474048_b.jpg

let me know what you guys think... =)

bighead
12-29-2011, 6:24 PM
Dude, that looks awesome!

I mean, its like a solar panel on a ferrari but it still looks cool.

Us3rName
12-29-2011, 6:26 PM
Peter, that's a hell of a grip. Looks real good. :D

Freaking sweet! :eek:

dc2integra
12-29-2011, 6:28 PM
Nice set up!It almost make me want to go featureless.

peter95
12-29-2011, 6:46 PM
Nice set up!It almost make me want to go featureless.

Thanks but why almost?

No joke, this is as comfortable as standard grip...

EvolutionGSR
12-29-2011, 7:08 PM
Peter, you're making these? how much. I want to have a featureless lower lying around so I can just swap in any of my braked uppers.

peter95
12-29-2011, 7:10 PM
Pm me...

glock7
12-30-2011, 5:51 AM
looks good, pm sent...

pc_load_letter
12-30-2011, 9:02 AM
Looks great Peter. Solar Tactical has some competition!!

Can you stipple carbon fiber?

colossians323
12-30-2011, 9:10 AM
Dude, that looks awesome!

I mean, its like a solar panel on a ferrari but it still looks cool.

lol

colossians323
12-30-2011, 9:11 AM

Are you kidding. For those who have had hi caps those are the desirous bodies. It brings a cool factor to your previously owned magazines. Funny that the gubbment even made it a law to stamp them during the ban.

Us3rName
12-30-2011, 10:21 AM

I think it would be fairly difficult to stipple carbon fiber as the fibers itself won't melt. The resin might. Clear type of grip tape or something would be ideal. I think even black wouldn't look half bad.

peter95
12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Reminder guys, the pictures in this thread are just a wrap with high quality cf fabric...

Once we make a real cf model, we can see is stippling is possible. I don't think stippling resin will work 100% but I'm sure there is a way to make it gripper

68Datsun510
12-30-2011, 6:18 PM
I dont suppose you'd ever make one for an AK grip??? Looking into converting a Saiga rifle soon, one for the SAW style grip on an AK would be awesome...

richard310
12-30-2011, 6:28 PM
I think it would be fairly difficult to stipple carbon fiber as the fibers itself won't melt. The resin might. Clear type of grip tape or something would be ideal. I think even black wouldn't look half bad.
A valid point. The stipples will only go a certain depth before the CF is exposed. If anything, we could just option an external grip tape/wrap in the desired ergonomic areas.
Otherwise the resin on the cf must be thick enough to stipple AND keep the CF protected.

Peter and I will experiment with it and see what's most beneficial for prolonged and abusive use.

richard310
12-30-2011, 6:31 PM
I dont suppose you'd ever make one for an AK grip??? Looking into converting a Saiga rifle soon, one for the SAW style grip on an AK would be awesome...
I'll talk to Peter to see what we can do. :)

richard310
12-30-2011, 6:33 PM

pc_load_letter: have you ever had the case of the Mondays? lol

68Datsun510
12-30-2011, 6:46 PM
That would be SO COOL!

pc_load_letter
12-30-2011, 6:48 PM
Everyday I have a case of the Mondays...and I can't find my stapler either...

pc_load_letter: have you ever had the case of the Mondays? lol

richard310
12-30-2011, 7:02 PM
Everyday I have a case of the Mondays...and I can't find my stapler either...
hahaha.. just make sure they dont move you down to the basement and have to clean out the roach problem.

richard310
12-30-2011, 7:02 PM
That would be SO COOL!
PM recieved! :) We'll be in contact.