PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with an AR-15 front sight removal?

deviljon
12-11-2011, 7:49 PM
I've been banging on this front sight for the last hour or so with the limited tools I have (hammer, punches) and cannot get the taper pins out. I know they're supposed to go from left to right but they haven't budged one bit. From what I've read BCM gets these pins in SUPER tight.

Anyone local to me have the tools to help me out with this? In return for the help I will gladly provide a 6-pack of your choice!

Also, not looking into picking up one of those Brownell's front sight bench blocks, just want to take care of this and be done with it. Let me know!

MrPlink
12-11-2011, 8:07 PM
have you tried heating them up at all?
(not too much mind, you dont want melt anything)

deviljon
12-11-2011, 8:14 PM
I don't have a heat gun and a blow dryer won't be able to get the temperature high enough. I've also read about freezing it with an upside down compressed air can but don't have one of those either. :(

Josh3239
12-11-2011, 8:20 PM
Give them a small tap on the opposite side, might loosen 'em up. If not, just drill 'em out. I've only come across one taper pin that is on that tight, drilling them is easy.

supersonic
12-11-2011, 8:35 PM
Use a large, flat punch and a heavy (ball peen) hammer to start them. Once they "break,"
they come right out. The bench block is a necessity, though. One can be made out of wood or plastic as well. You just need to have something to hold the whole sight in place -and FLAT- while being used.

steve92407
12-11-2011, 8:40 PM
when drilling without a drillpress.be very carefull i have seen where the bit deflects off the pin and drills deep into the barrel. i have seen some pins that someone beat on with the wrong size punch and are peened.those can only be removed with a press or a die grinder.

17+1
12-11-2011, 9:15 PM
Kendog had to blow torch and then baby sledge the pins on my CMMG...

Got them out but they were destroyed.

After that we moved towards the barrel nut expecting a fight and it was barely snugged. Go figure. That's what you get when 18 year olds are building these things.

steve92407
12-11-2011, 9:21 PM
torch and a sledge :smash:

12-11-2011, 9:26 PM
Ive taken mine out no problem, but they are in pretty tight.
Check and see which side of the pin is bigger, youll want to punch out from the smaller side.
Also try tapping on the big side to help maybe loosen it up a bit.
Also I dont have a brownells FSB block, just laid it on my work table. Hehehe, if I was close I would help.

h0use
12-11-2011, 9:27 PM
Little heat and brass hammer or hard leather mallet. It took alot of banging and it finally budget.

deviljon
12-11-2011, 9:38 PM
Thanks for the input guys. The reason I'm removing the front sight is actually to take the handguard cap off. So if possible I would like to keep the original pins and not have to get new ones.

I will try to use a little heat and also tapping the opposite side to loosen it a bit.

peter95
12-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I remember trying to remove mine once, it was a pain in the butt! then, i thought i tap them from the other side and they came off. Apparently, whoever i bought my upper from before put it the wrong way.... Try it out, you never know.

deviljon
12-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I'll give it a try tomorrow. I don't think BCM would have assembled it the wrong way but you're right, never know!

peter95
12-11-2011, 11:24 PM
good luck... let us know if you got it...!

jokat989
12-11-2011, 11:45 PM
are you changing the barrel nut for a free float?
if not i would just cut the handguard cap off and save the trouble of trying to get the gass block back on perfectly

mydogsmonkey
12-11-2011, 11:51 PM
go get a piece of steel or something hard that you can somewhat support the front sight on fully. then put it on a concrete or something that won't give. I wouldn't recommend wood or carpet. i took a colt one in about 2 smacks per pin with this method. make sure you're getting good solid hits each time. it seems the soft hits just peen the pins and make it harder.

Big D
12-12-2011, 1:35 AM
+1 on the above. if there is any give in the surface your barrel is resting on a lot of the force is transferred to that surface and not into the pins. I just tap pins out on the concrete floor of my garage on a towel or something.

deviljon
12-12-2011, 6:20 AM
are you changing the barrel nut for a free float?
if not i would just cut the handguard cap off and save the trouble of trying to get the gass block back on perfectly

I'm installing the Centurion Arms C4 rail. The stock barrel nut will not be removed.

smalltime
12-12-2011, 8:00 AM
I couldn't get my pins out until I laid it on a concrete floor on some 2x4 blocks and went at it with a 5lb. sledge and 3/32 nail punch.

I also laid a bunch of heavy rubber strips I had on top of the upper to hold it down because it can't be bouncing around or moving while you are hitting the pins or else you won't get enough force.

supersonic
12-12-2011, 9:36 AM
After that we moved towards the barrel nut expecting a fight and it was barely snugged. Go figure. That's what you get when 18 year olds are building these things.

Could you elaborate further as to what you mean here? I'm just curious.

deviljon
12-12-2011, 10:17 AM
I couldn't get my pins out until I laid it on a concrete floor on some 2x4 blocks and went at it with a 5lb. sledge and 3/32 nail punch.

I also laid a bunch of heavy rubber strips I had on top of the upper to hold it down because it can't be bouncing around or moving while you are hitting the pins or else you won't get enough force.

Claremont? Not too far from me.. :D

I think he meant the front sight was a pain in the arse to remove while the barrel nut came off rather easily. The barrel nut usually also requires some strength to remove.

supersonic
12-12-2011, 4:08 PM
I think he meant the front sight was a pain in the arse to remove while the barrel nut came off rather easily. The barrel nut usually also requires some strength to remove.

Oh, OK. I took it to mean something much different. However, the torque specs on barrel nuts (~65 lbs.) are pretty lightweight (because you are dealing with aluminum here) and, compared to your average A2 FSP Taper Pin, will seem almost "hand tight" by comparison.:D

japps
12-12-2011, 4:19 PM
I had the same issue...I bought a bicycle chain break tool and used my Dewalt cutoff tool to grind off the center to fit around the front sight. Then pressed out the pins

C4iGrant
12-12-2011, 4:33 PM
We remove them all the time. First, have a FSB block (the one Brownells sells is good). Then, have someone hold the upper down as hard as they can (so there is no movement when you strike the pins). Using a large punch and hammer strike the pins as hard as you can.

C4

darkest2000
12-12-2011, 5:58 PM
if you have a press, it's really simple. If you don't have one, you can fashion a mechanical press using a vice.

0331Marine
12-12-2011, 6:01 PM
if you have a press, it's really simple. If you don't have one, you can fashion a mechanical press using a vice.

Just what I was about to say. I used my vise to press mine out.

Omega13device
12-12-2011, 6:09 PM
If all you need to do is remove the handguard cap, can't that be cut off with a set of tin snips?

deviljon
12-12-2011, 6:11 PM
If all you need to do is remove the handguard cap, can't that be cut off with a set of tin snips?

By the looks of the front sight, it's going to be hard to snip the cap (and remove it) because it's pinched up behind the sight. The gas tube is also right there, meaning I have almost no space to work with.

Edit: actually, I'm going to try this. I might just have enough space to get some good snips.

17+1
12-12-2011, 8:38 PM

I would think if they pressed the pins in like that, they'd also have cranked the barrel nut on too tight.

deviljon
12-12-2011, 9:21 PM
Ended up just going at it with a pair of tin snips and pliers. Took me about 35 minutes and left a couple battle scars on the barrel/front sight but it's all done now. Finally, rifle is finished!

supersonic
12-13-2011, 8:53 AM
I would think if they pressed the pins in like that, they'd also have cranked the barrel nut on too tight.

No, the pins are supposed to be tight. That is part of what makes the A2 front sight so strong (why 99% of military-issued carbines have them as opposed to flip-up sights, as well). Over-torquing the barrel nut (and destroying your upper receiver) is very easy to do, so I am sure the manufacturers train their assemblers to follow protocol/specs regardless of whether or not they are 18-year old or 68-year old guys.;)