PDA

View Full Version : Need help diagnosing failure to eject

rimfire78
12-11-2011, 4:21 PM
Hello,

All I know now, is that it's not the extractor causing the problem.

What should I test next?

Thanks in advance.

rimfire78
12-11-2011, 5:52 PM
Anyone?

Bladewurk
12-11-2011, 6:04 PM
start checklist..
Make sure the chamber is in spec, 99% of the time when I have seen this the chamber is tight i.e., Wylde or DPMS ..and the ammo is poor.
Alot of ammo is weak and short strokes on new rifles.
Try brass cased 5.56 nato,..
Does it lock back on an empty mag?

mrvash
12-11-2011, 6:08 PM
What manufacture makes the rifle that is malfunctioning? Sounds like a short stroke and/or improper staking of the gas key? perhaps the manufacture has a warranty?

shadow65
12-11-2011, 6:09 PM
Load one round in a mag. Fire it and see if the bolt locks back. Repeat it a few times. If the bolt locks back, it's not short stroking. If it doesn't, drop down a buffer weight.
Check the gas key to make sure it's tight.
Check the gas tube to make sure there are no obstructions. I use a piece of rubber tubing attached to the gas tube. Blow through it.
Dave n

rimfire78
12-11-2011, 6:42 PM
It was brass cased NATO ammo, and it doesn't lock back on an empty mag.
So it's short stroking. (Awesome - thanks!)
It may be the gas key. I had to remove it to put on a free float tube. :rolleyes:
Could a slight gas key misalignment be the culprit?

Thanks for your input, It's very appreciated.

mrvash
12-11-2011, 6:50 PM
It was brass cased NATO ammo, and it doesn't lock back on an empty mag.
So it's short stroking. (Awesome - thanks!)
It may be the gas key. I had to remove it to put on a free float tube. :rolleyes:
Could a slight gas key misalignment be the culprit?

Thanks for your input, It's very appreciated.

Absolutely, the BCG is the heart of the AR platform, it has to be in correct specifications to perform properly.

If I may, why did you have to remove the gas key to install a free float tube?

rimfire78
12-11-2011, 6:56 PM
Absolutely, the BCG is the heart of the AR platform, it has to be in correct specifications to perform properly.

If I may, why did you have to remove the gas key to install a free float tube?

I had to remove it to get the original free float off. (which was mounted directly in front of it)

shadow65
12-11-2011, 7:02 PM
I had to remove it to get the original free float off. (which was mounted directly in front of it)

I think you mean the gas block. The gas key is bolted to the carrier.
The gas block being mis aligned can definetly block part of the gas flow.
Loosen it and re position it making sure it's straight and over the gas port. The hole in the block is larger than the gas port in the barrel.
If you originally had a hand guard cap on the barrel, behind the gas block, you will need a shim the same thickness to alin your gas block before you tighten it. Then remove the shim.

You state you originally had a free float so it didn't have a cap. Just push the gas block all the way against the shoulder of the barrel. Make sure it is aligned on top. (straight.)
Dave N

rimfire78
12-11-2011, 7:05 PM
Yes, gas block - sorry. My mistake.
I'll take your advice, and post an update next weekend.
Thanks for all your help.

steve92407
12-11-2011, 7:08 PM
it is so rare to see a gas key off.when you changed the handguard i bet you misaligned the gas block.

rimfire78
12-11-2011, 7:12 PM
it is so rare to see a gas key off.when you changed the handguard i bet you misaligned the gas block.

Thanks. I think you may be right.