PDA

View Full Version : sig p226

zorkieo
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM
what is the major difference between DAK sig's and the normal ones? i cant find any real difference excpet that DAK's have heavier triggers. is that an advantage? it also looked more like a carry type. also anyone konw a sight were i can find one cheaper then 719.99. for a standard p226 with or without rail. (non DAK)
thanks all
z-

zorkieo
03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
http://www.discountfirearms.com/cfsigpistols.htm is were i got that price

EBWhite
03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
DAK is stupid. Political correctness gun feature. Every shot is full double action. With a regular sig, first shot double action and ever shot after is a short single action pull. (best of both worlds)
try sigforum.com for a p226 - get the rail version

Astig Boy
03-04-2007, 11:20 PM
DAK is SIGs version of a smoothed out Double Action only trigger. I dont know many shooters who like having double action only guns, pointless IMO. But for LE and military it is a required safety device(yah having 6-7lbs on the trigger does make it safer)...even with training, not all officers and soldiers know how to handle a firearm.

Travis
03-05-2007, 5:39 AM
also anyone konw a sight were i can find one cheaper then 719.99. for a standard p226 with or without rail. (non DAK)
thanks all

z-

$700 - $720 sounds like a solid deal on a brand new P226.

Make sure you price out the whole package (gun + shipping + transfer fee) before buying out of state. Shipping ($20) and transfer fee ($50) could make buying locally just as good of a deal.

zorkieo
03-05-2007, 8:59 AM
yah its gona run me about 715+15(S&H)+50=780. my local dealer sells it for like 820

kilword
03-05-2007, 9:47 AM
saw some younger fella at the range yesturday with a 226dak....was like wow DA all the time, that sucks. Not a feature I would favor.

Travis
03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
yah its gona run me about 715+15(S&H)+50=780. my local dealer sells it for like 820

I would think you could find a shop in your area that could get the price of the gun down to $780. If you haven't already, go to a local shop or two (don't call) and make an offer. The worst they can say is "no" :)

Ninja45
03-05-2007, 10:49 AM
DAK is an option for others who have gorilla fingers and muscles like Ahnold. Just another option...For me, I'll take SA triggers (semi-auto pistols) any day.

Cpl_Peters
03-05-2007, 11:04 AM
DAK is SIGs version of a smoothed out Double Action only trigger. I dont know many shooters who like having double action only guns, pointless IMO. But for LE and military it is a required safety device(yah having 6-7lbs on the trigger does make it safer)...even with training, not all officers and soldiers know how to handle a firearm.

Its not required in the Military or even the Police. Some police departments require a DAO but the Military does not. It does however currently use 9mm that have a DA/SA feature The Beretta M9 and the Sig p226. The now in limbo contract for a military issue .45 also had in the requirements that it be able to fire SA/DA but nothing about required to be SAO

I read the Texas Rangers uses 226 and 229 DAKs chambered in .357 sig for issue. I personally dont like DAO guns but if you are looking for something like that then a sig DAK is a much better choice over the DAO king, the Glock, because the DAK system lets you pull the trigger over and over again even if the gun doesnt cycle which can be usefull in case of latent primer strike gives you a chance to pull the trigger again and send that round down range.

leelaw
03-05-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm not a big fan on DAO, but I must say that I really like the feel of the few Sig P226 DAOs I've handled. The pull was smooth, and it broke very clean. If I had to get a DAO, I'd seriously consider a Sig.

TannerBoyl
03-05-2007, 12:24 PM
My brother purchased a P229 DAK last year. I, for one, am really impressed with it. I never thought that I would enjoy shooting a DAO SIG, but SIG has done great things with this trigger system.

There are a few functional differences between the DAK and a traditional DAO.

* First, the DAO SIGs that I've seen had a constant trigger pull of approx. 10-11lbs. The DAK has (2) trigger weights: 6.5lbs and 8lbs.

* Second, the DAK has (2) reset points. After the first trigger pull (6.5lbs) you could let it reset about half-way and get an 8lbs trigger pull. If you let the trigger reset completely, then you'd get the standard 6.5lbs trigger. While it's not a major difference in trigger weight, it is noticable if you're paying attention. I assume that under duress, the extra 1.5lbs wouldn't be very noticable. As for the reason why it was designed like this, my only guess is that the extra 1.5lbs would help the novice shooter better control their follow up shots.

* Third, the DAK has a half-cock point. I believe at that half-cock point, the trigger is at 8lbs.

For someone who isn't used to transitioning between DA and SA or someone who has trained with revolvers, the DAK pistol would be a great option. My girlfriend was having trouble transitioning to SA after the DA trigger. She absolutely loves the DAK trigger. She made note of how the trigger was way lighter than any of the Double Action triggers on my DA/SA guns (SIG, Beretta and HK).

My brother's P229 DAK has an extremely smooth trigger. I was able to do nice tight groups utilizing both reset points. The only thing that has stopped me from buying a SIG with the DAK trigger is that I haven't seen one in my price range.

Good luck with your search!

Travis
03-05-2007, 1:55 PM
P229 DAK models can be a great value these days. There is a dealer on the Sig Forum selling brand new 229R DAKs for $620 shipped.

zorkieo
03-05-2007, 2:14 PM
while they are a great value, i would prefer the to have the 4-5lb single action option. ill check the forum anyway. thanks for all the info guys

1911_sfca
03-05-2007, 3:30 PM
[T]he DAK system lets you pull the trigger over and over again even if the gun doesnt cycle which can be usefull in case of latent primer strike gives you a chance to pull the trigger again and send that round down range.

I have read that too in the Sig literature on the Kellerman trigger, but it always makes me curious: is this really "useful"? Specifically, when the primer fails to ignite, statistically what are the chances that a second strike will ignite it? My guess is that the answer would be very low, and the utility of a second strike, even with a DAK trigger, would be far outweighed by the immediacy of a tap & rack for an almost guaranteed live round.

Teletiger7
03-05-2007, 9:08 PM
I have read that too in the Sig literature on the Kellerman trigger, but it always makes me curious: is this really "useful"? Specifically, when the primer fails to ignite, statistically what are the chances that a second strike will ignite it? My guess is that the answer would be very low, and the utility of a second strike, even with a DAK trigger, would be far outweighed by the immediacy of a tap & rack for an almost guaranteed live round.

Exactly. Why not just rack in a new fresh live round instead of wasting time and getting shot trying to do a 2nd strike(waste of time) which probably won't work if the primer sucks. You're gonna have to tap rack bang anyway when you find that the primer isn't working. ARs don't have 2nd strike capability, so why do you need it on a sidearm? I would much rather tap+rack+bang and make sure that i got a fresh one in the chamber.