PDA

View Full Version : do muzzle devices count as barrel length?

zachseaman
12-11-2011, 3:51 PM
does adding a flash hider/muzzle device count as the length of a barrel? for instance, if i cut an inch or two off of a 16 inch ak barrel and added a bulgarian muzzle break, would it still be california legal?

Ubermcoupe
12-11-2011, 3:52 PM
Only if permanently attached (via pin & weld method)

zachseaman
12-11-2011, 3:55 PM
i see. thank you

zfields
12-11-2011, 3:56 PM
You plan on popping the barrel off first before you cut it?

zachseaman
12-11-2011, 3:57 PM
nah i dont even have an ak yet just a thought.

MrPlink
12-11-2011, 4:04 PM
FWIW, this would keep it legal in the eyes of the FED (re: NFA) before Ca.

If you are extending an otherwise legal length barrel for CA compliance (to excede the 30in mark) then there is no requirement for permanence.

lets not confuse CA AWB w/ NFA

PsychGuy274
12-11-2011, 4:05 PM
does adding a flash hider/muzzle device count as the length of a barrel? for instance, if i cut an inch or two off of a 16 inch ak barrel and added a bulgarian muzzle break, would it still be california legal?

If it's permanently installed then yes, if not then no.

SJgunguy24
12-11-2011, 5:06 PM
If you plan to build, the work needs to be done before the barrel is installed. If you buy a gun, the barrel has to come out in order to avoid any questionable configurations no matter how brief that may be.

alfred1222
12-11-2011, 5:11 PM
Its definitely legal if it's permanently installed

MustangSteveGT
12-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Here's a stupid question I've been wondering. Do crush washers count as permanent? I technically have to damage some part of the weapon if I were to take the muzzle break off again since I can't re-use the crush washer right? :) It looks like the AR15 rifles from the shops around me just look like they use crush washer between the barrel and muzzle break with not staking visible. Do they use red locktite or something else I'm not seeing?

peter95
12-11-2011, 11:16 PM
if you can pin it, it'll be part of the barrel...

ke6guj
12-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Here's a stupid question I've been wondering. Do crush washers count as permanent? I technically have to damage some part of the weapon if I were to take the muzzle break off again since I can't re-use the crush washer right? :)
just because a consumable items is damaged doesn't make it "permanent"

It looks like the AR15 rifles from the shops around me just look like they use crush washer between the barrel and muzzle break with not staking visible. Do they use red locktite or something else I'm not seeing?

it was probably blind pinned and welded, with the weld cleaned over.
2.1.3 Rifle. A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of
an explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled barrel for each single pull
of the trigger.11 A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
| 12 inches ________|
The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to
the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of
attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver
soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod
into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the
furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and
measured.

jokat989
12-11-2011, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE=MustangSteveGT;7652844 It looks like the AR15 rifles from the shops around me just look like they use crush washer between the barrel and muzzle break with not staking visible. Do they use red locktite or something else I'm not seeing?[/QUOTE]

my cmmg was pined(phantom flash hider) on, but they had re-parked over the weld. i scratched a tiny bit of Finnish off and saw the weld. it was on the bottom flat part where you would wrench on the fh