PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Weapons

WINGEDSWORD
03-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Why are so many people fascinated by automatic weapons? Any experienced Army or Marine Infantryman knows that there are only three times automatic fire is needed. 1. To support your troops during the assault, and then only by the squad automatic riflemen/SAW gunners,and platoon machine guns. 2. Final
defensive fires,same gunners, 3. breaking up an enemy staff conference. I.E. toss in a grenade than spray the room. The Rest of the troops should be held to semi-automatic fire. Better fire discipline and ammo conservation,you might not always have a quick re-supply. The spray and pray theory of marksmanship never has worked. As for civilians, what is the point of just burning ammo, if you're not hitting anything?:cool:

blkA4alb
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Because its fun. Why have a high horsepower gas guzzling sports car?

shinigami
03-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Why are so many people fascinated by automatic weapons? Any experienced Army or Marine Infantryman knows that there are only three times automatic fire is needed. 1. To support your troops during the assault, and then only by the squad automatic riflemen/SAW gunners,and platoon machine guns. 2. Final
defensive fires,same gunners, 3. breaking up an enemy staff conference. I.E. toss in a grenade than spray the room. The Rest of the troops should be held to semi-automatic fire. Better fire discipline and ammo conservation,you might not always have a quick re-supply. The spray and pray theory of marksmanship never has worked. As for civilians, what is the point of just burning ammo, if you're not hitting anything?:cool:

You have to write this up in here?? Goodluck! ;)

ghost
03-04-2007, 10:09 PM

because most us arent military or leo,so we dont get the chance to shoot full auto firearms.

m24armorer
03-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Machineguns= PAL Post Ammo Letdown. When the mags are empty and the belts are gone. Sad very sad. Makes you want to have children just to link ammo.

artherd
03-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Why are so many people fascinated by automatic weapons?

http://www.artemisfilms.co.uk/Minigun.gif

thefinger
03-04-2007, 11:48 PM
uh......... UH DOY. :rolleyes:

hoffmang
03-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Because no military or police subservient to the citizenry should have an advantage in small arms.

-Gene

Astig Boy
03-04-2007, 11:55 PM
One word why people like automatic weapons, FUN! What ever happened to fun. Hobby - Fun = boring.

NSR500
03-05-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm planning to get one just because I can. Kinda like when I had over 300hp to the wheels with one of my cars. Practical, No; but fun, Yes. ;)

markymark
03-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Because no military or police subservient to the citizenry should have an advantage in small arms.

-Gene

That is the best answer so far.

jerryb78
03-05-2007, 12:49 AM
all the answer are good answer. Especially the answer from hoffmang. that was a very good one. but for me...." because they tell me i can't have one is the only reason i want one"

if these type of gun are readily avaliable to the general public (in california and elsewhere), every class 3 weapon owner would probally convert their gun to a select fire (3 round burst or a semi auto) due to the ammo cost. and the gun market will be flooded with class 3 weapon from oversea and the price of gun will drop so fast that it make the stock market crash.

it is kinda funny where you can have class 3 weapon in the Philipines or other SE asian country legally, as long as you put in the paper work or pay somebody to do all the paper work and jump through the local government hoop. a lot of my dad friend are retire exPat and they have no problem geting their hand on what ever they need. and do you know the price? dirt cheap...(approx. 1/4 or maybe 1/3 of the going price in the US, depending where you shop your gun and the quality of product you are getting)

but for us here in the USA. even if you can buy it legally in your state, you can never afford to buy what you want. most of the gun i want in class 3 cost more than a car or a pick up truck. most of us can never afford it, even if we are in the free state. got bills to pay and mouth to feed. we all have our own priority.

DedEye
03-05-2007, 3:26 AM
"Because" is a great answer. It's fun is another good one.

CALI-gula
03-05-2007, 3:45 AM

OK, OK. But realize BECAUSE most average people are not doing any of the applications you cited, the lack of those needs are EXACTLY the reasons for having fun with full auto.

Full auto is BEST and MOST appropriate under situations where everything you cited is NOT a factor, and most civilians can ENJOY the luxury of doing just that; wasting ammo and not worrying about the need to hit anything. And the full auto whirr is just plain fun: a chain saw wouldn't be as much fun, if in order to use it, you had to make single cuts by swinging it like an axe, motor off, chopping away at the log.

But don't you get it? You answered your own question by the details you installed within your question!

Just please don't start telling us that nobody needs an AR15 for hunting, and that those are just "terrorist rifles". :rolleyes:

K9paulc
03-05-2007, 8:10 AM
The sound a full auto makes also has a certain psychological effect depending on your vantage point of course, either terrifying or absolutely Exhilirating!!!

DrjonesUSA
03-05-2007, 8:50 AM
1) I will tell you for a fact that a huge part of the appeal of full-autos is the fact that they are illegal in several states and they are in such short supply. Fully automatic firearms are actually legal in something like 37 states, or thereabouts. As you may be aware, the 1986 FOPA froze the number of full-auto firearms available for transfer between civilians.

People always want what they can't have or are told by the government that they cannot have.

2) They are a necessary tool for use in military engagements, which is precisely why the Second Amendment protects our right to own them. We do not need a reason of any sort.

3) I think they are just damned cool. :)

stator
03-05-2007, 9:58 AM
Makes you want to have children just to link ammo.

Good point and I think kids are actually cheaper to feed.

thefurball
03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Why do I want a full auto? Easy: FUN!

Its kind of like Italian opera: Either you get it or you don't.

If you get it, it is wonderful and a source of thrills, passion and enjoyment.

If you don't get it, no amount of explaining it to you will help.

diegojosh
03-05-2007, 12:18 PM
+1 on FUN!:D

Jicko
03-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Just like underage drinking....

You want it cuz you can't have it....

PS. I do agree that there isn't much of a *need* for general public to have a "FULL auto" weapon.... but why can't we have "3 rounds burst"?

Astig Boy
03-05-2007, 12:52 PM
The spray and pray theory of marksmanship never has worked. As for civilians, what is the point of just burning ammo, if you're not hitting anything?:cool:

3 rd burst is not as accurate as full auto also, it saves on ammo...which is why the Military implemented it. A lot of people like to hold what the Military does as the rule of thumb or "it is better". The military only requires CLP to clean their M4 barrels...does that sound sat to you? Just because the Military does it, does not mean it is considered better and us civilians should follow.

E Pluribus Unum
03-05-2007, 1:26 PM
In a SHTF scenario when 2-3 people are being overrun by 30 and those 2-3 people have plenty of ammo and loaded mags ready.....

that is when it might come in handy in a tactical situation.

DrjonesUSA
03-05-2007, 1:47 PM
PS. I do agree that there isn't much of a *need* for general public to have a "FULL auto" weapon.... but why can't we have "3 rounds burst"?

1) We do not need to justify our rights with any reasons.

2) Full-auto weapons are useful in certain military situations, which is precisely why the Second Amendment protects our right to own such weapons.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/evourakis/AKforDuckHunting.jpg

DrjonesUSA
03-05-2007, 1:48 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g195/evourakis/TaxonTyrants.jpg

avidone
03-05-2007, 2:29 PM
Because there's no better way to make a barrel red hot!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f364/Avidone/firearm%20related/th_1800rdBurst.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f364/Avidone/firearm%20related/?action=view&current=1800rdBurst.flv)

shark92651
03-05-2007, 3:22 PM
The spray and pray theory of marksmanship never has worked. As for civilians, what is the point of just burning ammo, if you're not hitting anything?

I can't believe you are contradicting who may be the most influential firearms expert in modern history.

"It's really their killing potential," Alison Merrilees, legal counsel for the Firearms Division of the attorney general's office, said in explaining why assault weapons were banned. "The pistol grip allows them to be sprayed randomly. You can kill lots of people without having to reload." :D

WINGEDSWORD
03-05-2007, 9:22 PM
Maybe it's fun for those of you who are rich. I have to work for a living and
support a household. Therefore I have to be careful with my ammo expenditure. I still maange to have plenty of fun with mt semi-autos and I hit what I aim at. I had my fill of automatic weapons when it was serious. (68-69)

ghostwong
03-05-2007, 9:52 PM
support a household. Therefore I have to be careful with my ammo expenditure. I still maange to have plenty of fun with mt semi-autos and I hit what I aim at. I had my fill of automatic weapons when it was serious. (68-69)

WINGEDSWORD - Thank You for your service to this Country. I can say, "It was your Call to Duty to give us this freedom" to shoot whatever we like.

I'm not rich either, and also have a household to support. I'm to old to serve, and was to dumb when I was younger, I should have served. My grandmother fought the Japanese in WW2 in China. I do not take me freedom in this country likey.

If I could own a machine gun in CA I would buy one beause I could.

Once again, Thank You for your service!

naimad
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
you would figure it out real quick once you tried it,by the way you can hit targets with full auto guns :D

aklover_91
03-05-2007, 11:05 PM

OK, so you don't want to do full auto. Fine. But don't trample my constitutional right to bear arms just because you have no interest in it. The fighting kind are what's protected BTW, in case (god forbid) we as a populace ever have to repel foreign invaders or remove home grown tyrants from power. Crack open a history books sometime.

Adog5
03-06-2007, 9:07 PM
Top 3 reasons why Full-Auto option is practical because:

1. Cause enough blood loss or shock to Central Nervous System with a multiple round hits to drop enemy ASAP (before they can shoot back).

2. If enemy is wearing body armor, then first couple rounds may not disable enemy. Body Amor III or IV is approved to stop 1 round, but doesn't guarantee the 2nd one will go through. So multiple round hits are good in my opinion. Or you can shoot once, wait, and see if the enemy can still fire back at you... that's up to you.

3. Someone said earlier, the psychological factor of hearing full auto fire. Even if I'm with 3 others armed with pistols, I'm would be very hesitant to go against someone with a full-auto rifle. Even you shoot the enemy 3 times with your pistol in one second, he could go down with his finger clinched and still take everyone out in the room. What's the probablity of that with semi-auto? Remember the BofA scene in LA with the full-auto AK? Where were all the dozen of police officers (behind their cars!)? Don't you think the sound of full-auto might have cause some officers to stay behind their cars and not engage?

Everything has it's pro's and con's... you just gotta know how and when to use it... Even a rocket that can push a rocket 33,000 mph is useful (to send people into space), but for most applications, would be a waste of fuel.

But you know, the military gives their soldiers the option for full-auto... it's an option. And it's always better to have an option than not to have it (in my opinion).

ivanimal
03-06-2007, 9:22 PM
So my son can see his dad cry with joy.

ghost
03-06-2007, 9:26 PM

now thats a kodak moment!:)

gn3hz3ku1*
03-06-2007, 9:30 PM
better to have one and never use it to its full potential.. then to really need one and not have it

bigkahuna
03-06-2007, 9:46 PM

++1!!!

except I've got daughters...:D