PDA

View Full Version : AK47 cannot mount scope anywhere near low enough to get a cheek weld....

cyrus
12-11-2011, 11:42 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AK47 cannot mount scope anywhere near low enough to get a cheek weld.... What gives? stupid gas system raise the scope about an inch higher than an AR15. What can I do? (other than get an AR)

Thanks

zfields
12-11-2011, 12:05 PM
ultimak rails or Texas Weapon systems dog leg helps. Remember the "russian" way of using reddots doesnt use a cheek weld.

What scope base are you using right now.

smittty
12-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes, get an AR.

I converted a Saiga and it was he greatest thing since sliced bread until I bought a cool Russian side mount scope. Anyone who thinks that is a good set-up is retarded. It just doesn't work! I sold the scope and then the rifle and bought an AR.

If you want to use optics your best choice is to get an AR. After owning both AK and AR type rifles I can easily say the AR's are a lot more fun. AR's are like legos for adults who like guns.

zfields
12-11-2011, 3:12 PM
Scope is a horrible choice on an AK for a few reasons IMO.

Red dot works fine. Again, just have to use it the way it was intended. Using a ultimak/MI rail helps with check weld also.

MrPlink
12-11-2011, 6:07 PM
you read it backwards!

step 1) mount scope as low as possible

step 2) make or purchase a cheek riser for your stock

step 3) blast away

step 4) return to calguns and tell MrPlink, "Duh! Why didnt I think of that in the first place!" :D

Jax Smirking Revenge
12-11-2011, 6:43 PM
My converted Saiga currently shares its time between a 4x24 POSP scope and a red dot. Both are quick release side mount and both return to zero when removed and re-mounted. I sometimes hear people say that a scope is useless on an AK but have yet to understand why. While it will not make touching holes in a 200 yard paper target, it is certainly as accurate as I am. The scope is an awesome addition to the weapon and really extends its useful range for me. My cheek weld issue was solved by simply adding a cheek rest.

ZX-10R
12-11-2011, 6:51 PM
What mount are you using and where? This is on you really.