PDA

View Full Version : AK folks please school me on AK47-C receiver's

RAAK_FJ
12-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I know very little about the AK47's myself. What makes AK47-C receiver's different from a AK47 receiver? Is there any?
thanks

joe_sun
12-11-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm an AK nut and I've never heard the term C receiver before.

Usually there's 4 MAIN different receivers. Yeah I know there's UF, SF and calibers but really 4 main patterns.

1.5mm Chinese which is what the C might mean
1.5mm Yugoslavian
Standard 1mm AKM/74/100 receivers
Milled receivers

What context was this given to you in?

RAAK_FJ
12-11-2011, 11:43 AM
joe_sun, Thanks

this is where i found it, hope this help. I know its not much to go on.

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=31&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=210&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

hoozaru
12-11-2011, 11:47 AM
those receivers are made by the infamous I.O, Inc.
stay away from any I.O stuff.
"C" probably stands for "Crap, the rails are misaligned on this one too."

joe_sun
12-11-2011, 11:57 AM
those receivers are made by the infamous IO, Inc.
stay away from any I.O stuff,

This

Please don't buy an IO receiver. There are all manner of issues with them. Get yourself an NDS-1 instead. If you have to get an NDS-3 even thou I now hate them but it would still be better than an IO receiver.

For those wondering why I hate on the NDS3, it's because the receiver is out of spec. The selector lever hole is in the wrong spot leaving a gap when the safety is on and the FCG holes are out of whack as well making the NDS3 prone to hammer follow. That can be fixed by grinding on the FCG but it still bugs me. Also the selector stop looks horrible and I don't like the S and F markings either.

scotthmt
12-11-2011, 1:40 PM
I take it you've never built a tapco? You'd be praising those NDS-3's then! haha

joe_sun
12-11-2011, 2:45 PM
I take it you've never built a tapco? You'd be praising those NDS-3's then! haha

True dat!

NDS-3 is very fixable most of my complaints are with aesthetics. I built up 3 for myself and bunch more for others back in the day and for a casual AK person they are good enough. Nowadays I wish I could go back and redo all my builds thou, make them more "correct" than they are.

Mamluke
12-11-2011, 2:49 PM
This
Please don't buy an IO receiver. There are all manner of issues with them. Get yourself an NDS-1 instead. If you have to get an NDS-3 even thou I now hate them but it would still be better than an IO receiver.

^^^ This

'C' meaning its already bent, as opposed to a flat receiver that you have to bend, shape into a 'C' & heat treat ...

RAAK_FJ
12-11-2011, 7:10 PM
thank you all for the great information and saying my @$$ for not buying one of these. I was thinking about using a parts build kit and a receiver then go to town building it. But I think I need to do a little more research on them first.

thanks for all the help...

Mail Clerk
12-11-2011, 7:23 PM
RAAK FJ,

For now it might be prudent to do sp at least for now. I just received my replacment from Big 5 and the ladies were the most nicest I've ever had pleasure to talk to. This morning I just had a chance to give mine a cleaning and fount the new IO Casar to be most superior to the old one turned in. The receiver cover was fitted very nicely and the gas tube lever was tight and no dents where the rivets were placed. As far as operation goes this is the next step so during our companies closure week I'll take it for a small routine cap busting outing at the range to test operation. All I want is a straight shooting rifle that'll hit the black at 50 yards. Everything else can be handled.

Until you hear more about how well these rifles goes be careful if you decide to buy. If necessary ask to see all of them and hand pick the one you want. Remember general operation in most cases is no issue. Just check and see if the receiver cover is fitted properly and ceck the front sight and see if it's canted. If it is then go to the next one. I'll be you'll find one you like out of the pile.

Mail Clerk

CSACANNONEER
12-11-2011, 7:28 PM
Anything but an IO! Really. LAst year, I looked at some IOs at SHOT and saw the worst production AKs ever. I was shocked that they brought samples like that to an international trade show. I guess, they brought the best they had and they were still inferior to anything else at the show. Hell, I'd even stoop so low as to buy a Red Jacket AK before I bought an IO.

SJgunguy24
12-11-2011, 7:34 PM
This

For those wondering why I hate on the NDS3, it's because the receiver is out of spec. The selector lever hole is in the wrong spot leaving a gap when the safety is on and the FCG holes are out of whack as well making the NDS3 prone to hammer follow. That can be fixed by grinding on the FCG but it still bugs me. Also the selector stop looks horrible and I don't like the S and F markings either.

Sometimes NDS3's can have ejection issues, nothing that a zap from a mig gun won't fix. Also the front doesn't line up with the trunnion.