PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first AK..

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 8:54 AM
It's a Russian 7.62 with beautiful red wood furniture.. I'm an AR guy so it's going to take me a bit to get up to speed as far as teardown and how the parts all function. Heavy, but great balance.

I thought it would have the mag dimples, but the one that came didn't. At first I was "no way", but after doing some research it's not a big deal. In fact the mags fit very tight and have less lateral wobble than many AKs I've checked the DO have the dimples. In any event I hope it shoots as nice as it looks. lol

I have a 1000 rnds on the way to break it in. Any suggestions?

http://i42.tinypic.com/jic6fq.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/adnpyw.jpg

pacifico23
12-11-2011, 8:57 AM
Wow that's some beutiful furniture. Nice rifle!

CSACANNONEER
12-11-2011, 8:59 AM
Nice looking wood. Is it real Russian surplus parts built on a new receiver or a Saiga conversion? Don't worry about mag wobble at all. Mag wobble is something that does not affect function at all. In fact, I would rather have a loose fitting mag and know that my mag well will accept all surplus mags than have a tight fitting mag well with no wobble.

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 9:01 AM
Wow that's some beutiful furniture. Nice rifle!

Yea, the plan is toss on a Kydex, ditch the mag lock and go featureless.. does the kydex mess up the wood? If so I will get another grip to run with it.

I have a couple pre-ban mags I can run.. which if the only reason I got a 47 over a 74...

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 9:04 AM
Nice looking wood. Is it real Russian surplus parts built on a new receiver or a Saiga conversion? Don't worry about mag wobble at all. Mag wobble is something that does not affect function at all. In fact, I would rather have a loose fitting mag and know that my mag well will accept all surplus mags than have a tight fitting mag well with no wobble.

I'm NOT an AK expert.. but I'm 99% sure it's in line with a Saiga conversion and I know it's not surplus parts. It's like what Arsenal does, but someone else (Waffenworks?).

There's a little play.. so far all my mags have fit and locked up just fine (tapco, Bulgarian, china)

cuinmysights
12-11-2011, 9:04 AM
Really nice! Where did you buy it from? I'm looking for one too.

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 9:07 AM
Really nice! Where did you buy it from? I'm looking for one too.

EBR Works....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=488395

Think he has one left and it's on sale.. bummer for me since mine wasn't. lol

Some have the mag dimple, some don't.. don't think it matters either way in reality.

CSACANNONEER
12-11-2011, 9:10 AM
Now that the second piture is posted, can someone tell me what the rivets just above the PG are for and what type of rear trunion is being used? I don't recognize the rivet pattern.

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 9:12 AM
Now that the second piture is posted, can someone tell me what the rivets just above the PG are for and what type of rear trunion is being used? I don't recognize the rivet pattern.

Isn't that where the trigger went if it was a "sporter" model? .. and yea, I know it would have been nice if they welded up the holes.. lol

CSACANNONEER
12-11-2011, 9:17 AM
Isn't that where the trigger went if it was a "sporter" model? .. and yea, I know it would have been nice if they welded up the holes.. lol

I'd have to pull out my Saiga and look. I still don't recognize the pattern for the rear trunion.

Edit: Never mind. I just realized that one rear trunion rivet is also a rivet for the scope rail. Now I feel stupid.

bsg
12-11-2011, 9:39 AM
looks nice; congratulations.

StratORcaster
12-11-2011, 9:43 AM
Very nice!

Mamluke
12-11-2011, 9:52 AM
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S .... http://ktmtalk.com/html/emoticons/cheers.gif

Some of the most beautiful reddish Russian wood I've seen
I like the optics rail, would rather have that than bloody dimples imho ...

Just added a bakelite grip on my cai polish uf, made a huge difference itching it closer to the classic look that I adore ... but yours look way better ... http://ktmtalk.com/html/emoticons/thumb.gif ...

Do a range report asap ... :D

Dark Mod
12-11-2011, 9:55 AM
Nice weapon, one of the nicest ive seen actually. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks.

joe_sun
12-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Very nice looking and interesting rifle.

To answer everyone's questions.

It started it's life as what appears to be a standard US import Saiga and then was converted. You can tell because you have the hole in the bottom of the receiver near the handguard and the two rivet holes on each side above the handguard.

The wood looks US made, especially since there isn't a ferrule in the pistol grip. Also, the Russians use a laminate wood that isn't available in the States. The layers are much thinner.

Love all arsenal marks on the receiver and I've never seen the Legion USA importer before but I've heard they might have an inside connection with Legion in Russia and are going to be importing in some pretty neat things.

The front sight appears to be Bulgarian, the gas block is missing the accessory lug which is really only aesthetic unless you happen to have Soviet style grenade launcher laying around.

The rear Trunnion is the standard Russian 3 rivet rear.

You have a real Russian clover trigger guard and it's hard to tell but it looks as if it might have been a Saiga guard that was re welded into a proper guard.

Lack of dimpes isn't really a deal breaker since it's obvious that this receiver was made in Russia. Only thing that "bugs" me is the white rivets above the trigger guard. You could probably find someone local who would weld up the holes for you so it looks more conventional but if it doesn't bug you don't worry about it at all.

Congrats and welcome to the Dark Side! I started my AK obsession with buying two Saigas what seems like forever ago.

hcbr
12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
congrats!

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Very nice looking and interesting rifle.

To answer everyone's questions.

It started it's life as what appears to be a standard US import Saiga and then was converted. You can tell because you have the hole in the bottom of the receiver near the handguard and the two rivet holes on each side above the handguard.

The wood looks US made, especially since there isn't a ferrule in the pistol grip. Also, the Russians use a laminate wood that isn't available in the States. The layers are much thinner.

Love all arsenal marks on the receiver and I've never seen the Legion USA importer before but I've heard they might have an inside connection with Legion in Russia and are going to be importing in some pretty neat things.

The front sight appears to be Bulgarian, the gas block is missing the accessory lug which is really only aesthetic unless you happen to have Soviet style grenade launcher laying around.

The rear Trunnion is the standard Russian 3 rivet rear.

You have a real Russian clover trigger guard and it's hard to tell but it looks as if it might have been a Saiga guard that was re welded into a proper guard.

Lack of dimpes isn't really a deal breaker since it's obvious that this receiver was made in Russia. Only thing that "bugs" me is the white rivets above the trigger guard. You could probably find someone local who would weld up the holes for you so it looks more conventional but if it doesn't bug you don't worry about it at all.

Congrats and welcome to the Dark Side! I started my AK obsession with buying two Saigas what seems like forever ago.

Wow.. thanks for all the info.. when I'm more comforable I might have the rivet holes welded up, but I'm not really that picky.. besides, it's gonna be a shooter. Seems like it would have been easy for them to do before shooting on the GunKote.

Sounds like I ended up with a pretty decent AK.. I was tempted to do the whole "build it" deal, but right now I have more $$ than time so this was the quickest route. Still want to do it down the line with a 74 varient.

Thanks again.

ollie415
12-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Nice one bro...congrats!!!!

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Wow beautiful wood

Shrubmaster
12-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Very nice sir

tujungatoes
12-11-2011, 4:42 PM
nice rifle you got there steve. If you go the grip wrap route I'd recommend getting another grip for. It's going to make it look funky anyway. Might as well be able to switch back at will.

Now get a kit and come join us at a BP and catch the build bug.

Ubermcoupe
12-11-2011, 4:46 PM
The furniture on that that AK is beautiful! I kept seeing the advert from EBR and would pick one up of I had the spare cash. Congrats on the purchase. :)

Levetti
12-11-2011, 4:57 PM
That furniture is super clean, I love it.

zfields
12-11-2011, 5:06 PM
Yea, the plan is toss on a Kydex, ditch the mag lock and go featureless.. does the kydex mess up the wood? If so I will get another grip to run with it.

I have a couple pre-ban mags I can run.. which if the only reason I got a 47 over a 74...

I would take off the original grip and kydex wrap something ugly. You can very easily scratch it or damage the finish. Personally im not a fan of the feel of the original AK grip.

Great looking rifle, awesome wood.

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 5:18 PM
I'm glad you all appreciate my wood.. uhh... wait...

zfields
12-11-2011, 5:20 PM
uh huh huh huh....uh huh huh huh...he said wood.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTweJB9Ma6xZ9wosQJAEARXqCRhL7_y fRAx6eZPhGGT9wbvS4fZi5Y4xta

tomd1584
12-11-2011, 5:30 PM
I'm diggin it! Let us know how it shoots.

ZX-10R
12-11-2011, 5:53 PM

Too bad...Beautiful rifle to do that.

zfields
12-11-2011, 5:56 PM
I wish legion would have taken a que from Russian American Armory and stamped them somewhere a little more hidden.

jonc
12-11-2011, 6:19 PM
Very very nice,,

Javi
12-11-2011, 6:43 PM
I just forgot the name but get the individual finned grip so you don't have to slip anything over the original grip. That's my plan from switching back n' forth between featureless & evil. Seems easy enough.

SJgunguy24
12-11-2011, 6:45 PM
Looks like they got the trigger guard right. I still think they should change out the gas block with a real military block since they take it off to install the handguard retainer. The wood is Tapco Timbersmith dyed red.
They should weld everything up to for that kind of $$$.

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 7:06 PM
Too bad...Beautiful rifle to do that.

Blame CA.. I have standard caps and would like to run them.. plus this mag lock isn't nearly as easy to use as an AR bullet button.

Makes me a bit sad too.. but the less of two evil rule is in effect :)

I wish legion would have taken a que from Russian American Armory and stamped them somewhere a little more hidden.

Yea, would seem like a good idea.. I doubt there's any reg on where they have to stamp them.

Will toss up a range report when my ammo gets here.

NorCalK9.com
12-11-2011, 7:52 PM
Very very very NICE!!!!
IT LOOKS 100x BETTER THAN ANY ARSENAL ive ever seen.

Javi
12-11-2011, 8:14 PM
I remember now. Get a monsterman grip, Steve:

http://www.monstermangrip.com/images/2aks.jpg

Mamluke
12-11-2011, 8:29 PM
Ah dude Solar Tactical mag lock is so easy to work with, keep that sinister AK look with that pistol grip that is just freaking gorgeous!

I use a U shaped hard plastic small speaker mount to release the mag. Its so easy...

zfields
12-11-2011, 8:33 PM
Ah dude Solar Tactical mag lock is so easy to work with, keep that sinister AK look with that pistol grip that is just freaking gorgeous!

I use a U shaped hard plastic small speaker mount to release the mag. Its so easy...

Id prefer having those sinister 30 round, free dropping mags on a featureless : )

Steve1968LS2
12-11-2011, 8:50 PM

Thanks for the tip.. I will try it out.. If I can get it closer to how easy my AR is to work with I will keep it like this. Although I might go back and forth to use my standard caps.

Also, thanks to the other poster for the MonsterMan tip.. forgot about that.

Mojaveman
12-11-2011, 8:57 PM
Nice AK Steve. Had an AK-74 and regret selling it.