PDA

View Full Version : Finished dressing up the ol' AR. Looks sharp.

SnWnMe
03-04-2007, 6:51 PM
http://alvarfamily.com/arbench

http://alvarfamily.com/arcloseup

http://alvarfamily.com/arandtrr8

Colt MT lower (Post Clinton, Pre Davis)

STAG M4gery upper (yeah bayonet lug and everything!)

Samson handguards

ARMS #40L BUIS

Leupold Mk 4 3X9

James R.
03-04-2007, 7:00 PM
On the free floating forend. I wasn't aware the part the handguards lock into the front stays behind. Does the forend not touch that, there's just a tiny gap or something?

Regards,

James R.

ghost
03-04-2007, 7:00 PM
looks great! how does she shoot?

SnWnMe
03-04-2007, 7:17 PM
On the free floating forend. I wasn't aware the part the handguards lock into the front stays behind. Does the forend not touch that, there's just a tiny gap or something?

Regards,

James R.

The guards do not touch the flange like thing behind the front sight base.

looks great! how does she shoot?

Thanks. Don't know yet. :o I'll shoot it for the first time this weekend. I got some generic gun show ammo for it and a few boxes of better quality rounds. I'm hoping it will shoot as good as the Colt MT upper.

Technical Ted
03-04-2007, 7:19 PM
The guards do not touch the flange like thing behind the front sight base.
It's called a Handguard Cap.

James R.
03-04-2007, 7:55 PM
It's called a Handguard Cap.

Is that typically on there on free floated setups? I'm not sure how it's held on there but it's on there damn tight on my gun. Glad to see it doesn't have to come off to free float, however I think I've seen plenty of free floated AR's w/o it.

Since you seem to know a fair bit about AR's...you ever try or see in person those drop in rail setups? I posted a while back and there were a few links to em. I'm curious how much play there is on them, i.e. if you put a vertical foreward grip on it will they twist left and right or is there a screw or something that digs into the barrel nut or whatever?

Regards,

James R.

bwiese
03-04-2007, 8:01 PM
Fuhgeddabout the AR15, how do you like the 327TRR8 wheelgun?

G17GUY
03-04-2007, 8:12 PM
Does the front iron sight get in the way of the scope? I see alot of setups like this on the forum and was always curious.

!@#$
03-04-2007, 8:15 PM
Does the front iron sight get in the way of the scope? I see alot of setups like this on the forum and was always curious.

on a low power you can see a shadow

SnWnMe
03-04-2007, 8:18 PM

Nope, I never see the front sight. My lowest power is 3.

SnWnMe
03-04-2007, 8:19 PM
Fuhgeddabout the AR15, how do you like the 327TRR8 wheelgun?

I love it! Feels like an N frame but weighs like a K. Plus the PC action is just so smooth.

moulton
03-04-2007, 8:50 PM
http://alvarfamily.com/arandtrr8
nice tacti-cool wheelgun:D :cool:

Technical Ted
03-04-2007, 9:27 PM
Is that typically on there on free floated setups? I'm not sure how it's held on there but it's on there damn tight on my gun. Glad to see it doesn't have to come off to free float, however I think I've seen plenty of free floated AR's w/o it.
Not all free float handguards are designed the same. Some require disassembly of the barrel assembly to remove the handguard cap, barrel nut, weld spring and handguard retaining ring.

The handguard cap is held onto the barrel by the front sight base and is kept from rotating by the gas tube.

Since you seem to know a fair bit about AR's...you ever try or see in person those drop in rail setups? I posted a while back and there were a few links to em. I'm curious how much play there is on them, i.e. if you put a vertical foreward grip on it will they twist left and right or is there a screw or something that digs into the barrel nut or whatever?The original railed fore end was the Knight's Armament Corporation Rail Interface System (RIS). It was designed to replace the plastic handguards and it had a screw tightened clamp at the front end fore end. The RIS was replaced by the Rail Adapter System (RAS) which placed the clamp at the rear end of the fore end.

My KAC RAS is stable enough for a VFG, laser, light or red dot for CQB. I don't expect it to be stable enough for a forward mounted magnified optic for longer range precision.

AR15 free float fore ends have been around since the 70's, but they were simple tubes threaded on to custom barrel nuts.

Around 2000, ARMS developed their SIR system which created a free floating railed fore end. For strength, the rear of the SIR has an extension that clamps onto the receiver top rail.

KAC soon followed with with their RAS II which also required an extension attached to the receiver rail.

For the Mk12 Mod 0 SPR, PRI took the free float tube design with dedicated barrel nut and added rails to the tube.

The Mod 1 uses a one piece fore end rail that has a custom barrel nut, thus eliminating the need for the clamping extension.

Now there's a whole plethora a free floating railed fore ends. IIRC Larue was one of the first after KAC. Some have specific barrel nuts and some clamp around the standard barrel nut once the handguard retaining ring, weld spring and snap ring are removed.

Socal858
03-05-2007, 9:28 PM
sweet. so THATS how my rifle would look with an A2 stock :D

oh heres how yours would look with eotech and collapsible. and food lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/texaneatworld/dinner.jpg