PDA

View Full Version : over lubing/oil?

xSARSx
12-11-2011, 1:02 AM
will overlubing oil in the barrel cause rilfe to be inaccurate? my brother borrowed my rifle the other day and took it to the range, took it back home and cleaned it, threw it in my safe. today i took my rifle(AK74) out of the safe and noticed that there was excessive oil on the handguards and onto my reciever, even my gas piston was over lubed. i didnt really think anythning of it, wiped it off(only on the outside) and took it to the range and could not get any of my shot on target(did not bring my sight tool). what the heck!! kinda bummed now. im shooting irons, and my brother said he didnt mess with sight at all. as soon as i got home i immediatley cleaned my rifle but i wont get a chance to go to the range again until next week :(. what do you guys think?

techshot
12-11-2011, 1:11 AM
I think if you put some sand in it and maybe throw some dirt on it, it might just get a little more accurate. Its a AK... oil isnt gonna do anything.

MrPlink
12-11-2011, 2:25 AM
why on earth are you oiling the barrel and piston of an AK?

Turo
12-11-2011, 2:45 AM
I think your brother may have messed with the sight alignment and was afraid to mention it.

Over-lubing can't possibly cause the gun to be less accurate. In extremely excessive cases it might mess something up on the very first shot, but other than that, no.

roushstage2
12-11-2011, 3:19 AM
I think your brother may have messed with the sight alignment and was afraid to mention it.

Over-lubing can't possibly cause the gun to be less accurate. In extremely excessive cases it might mess something up on the very first shot, but other than that, no.

This sounds most likely...

luckystrike
12-11-2011, 10:09 AM
It shouldn't. But then again you shouldn't have oil in the barrel or gas system when firing, it's ok for when it's in storage tho

putemup
12-11-2011, 11:15 AM
why on earth are you oiling the barrel and piston of an AK?

Oiling gas piston?

Mail Clerk
12-11-2011, 6:28 PM
I'll bet he shot ammo that was corrosive and he over oiled everything to try and cancel out any possible rusting/corrosion problems. If the pistol is hard chromed it most likely didn't need oil

Mail Clerk

sammy
12-11-2011, 6:34 PM
In gas operated rifles the barrel and piston are to be dry. If the rifle is going to be stored long term you can lube these surfaces but want to swab them out before firing.

Lubing the barrel will not get you off target as you describe. Like another poster said, the sights have come loose or were adjusted.

Sammy

Dhena81
12-11-2011, 6:49 PM
You should be using FL if you want extreme accuracy and more stopping power from an AK.

:popcorn:

luchador768
12-11-2011, 10:22 PM
If it was in a safe with the butt down and muzzle up, there is no way any oil would stay in the barrel. I would guess he messed with the sights.

JAGACIDA
12-12-2011, 2:17 PM
Run a patch through it after lending it out just to make sure it's not over-oiled. Extreme chamber pressures from over oiling the barrel. Bigger boom than expected.