PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the 16 G-TAC upper?/Other suggestions.

Bull's_eye
12-10-2011, 11:38 PM
http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=245_248_282&products_id=33241

Found this browsing. I am in the market for my first upper, and this seems to have what I want, and appears 200-300 dollars cheaper than other similar ones I've been looking at, such as this stag by the time you add the Samson star-c rail:

http://www.cobratactical.com/Stag-Arms-Model-3H-Complete-Upper-Half-556mm-AR-15_p_2744.html

I have not heard of the G-Tac before. Anybody here own one? What am I getting/not getting with it versus other brands? I am trying to stay around $700 or below for an upper, obviously the cheaper the better, but I'm willing to pay a bit for if I see the value for what I get.

I'm looking for a flat top 5.56 upper. (Want to do flip up iron sights, with an optic in mind in the future.)

I want a 16" barrel, chrome lined barrel and chamber. Twist is not a huge issue, have heard varying opinions, but 1x8 seems to be a good compromise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have read differing opinions on whether or not m4 feed ramps are necessary in a semi rifle, but having them would obviously not hurt.

I would like a free float quad rail.

Another question I have is where do you guys go to find specs on uppers. Sometimes I'll even go to the manufacturer's site, and I still see a very vague description. Sometimes they don't even list whether or not something is chrome lined, MPI tested, etc.

I am open to any other suggestions as well.

BASSTUB
12-11-2011, 8:44 AM
I have that upper from new frontier armory. I like it. I have had a few fail to feeds, but as it's breaking in, the issue going away.

The barrel is great FYI. I shot a 5 shot group from 100yds with federal ammo (not match) that I can cover with a quarter.

This upper has nice precision yet is not long heavy or bulky.

Striker
12-11-2011, 9:29 AM
What is the rifle for? Stainless barrels are usually for precision shooting. Generally used for SPR/DMR type rifles. Good ones are more accurate than chrome lined 4150 barrels, but don't last as long. Everything is a compromise.

The FF Rail is what's running the cost up for you. Is this something you just feel like you want right now or are you going to hang a lot off the gun immediately?

If this is your first rifle I would either call Grant about a BCM upper like this http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UPR-BCM. Remember you need to add a BCG, CH and handguards to get to full price. Or I would look for a lightly used Daniel Defense, BCM or LMT upper. Don't go for something you don't want. Also, if this is your first rifle, and you haven't done it, join M4carbine.net I've belonged for a awhile and there is some great information there. I'll tell you ahead of time though, if you join, use the orange search button before you start a thread with a question. Someone else has probably already asked and gotten good answers to your questions.

If this isn't your first rifle and you feel like taking a chance on the new kid on the block, take a look at PSA uppers. Palmetto is the new kid; they have excellent specifications, but the rifles are basically unproven.

If you don't already have your lower and your looking for an all purpose rifle, I would look at the Colt 6920. Colt is finally back in California and at just over $1000.00, it's a great buy.

Here is your spec chart to start. Enjoy.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

Bull's_eye
12-11-2011, 9:30 AM
How many rounds have you shot through it, and about how many failures to feed?

Bull's_eye
12-11-2011, 9:40 AM
What is the rifle for? Stainless barrels are usually for precision shooting. Generally used for SPR/DMR type rifles. Good ones are more accurate than chrome lined 4150 barrels, but don't last as long. Everything is a compromise.

I will not be using this rifle for precision shooting. This is going to be a general purpose rifle that I'll take to the range/national forests and do some shooting. Just something fun to shoot that will get me more familiarized with the AR platform. I've shot a few and loved them, so I'm sure I'll have more than one eventually. I want to go with a chrome lined barrel since the longer life will be more beneficial to me than the better accuracy.

The FF Rail is what's running the cost up for you. Is this something you just feel like you want right now or are you going to hang a lot off the gun immediately?

Honestly, I've always just liked the look of having that quad rail up front. However I do plan on using it as well. At the minimum I'm going to add the Magpul AFG to it.

If you don't already have your lower and your looking for an all purpose rifle, I would look at the Colt 6920. Colt is finally back in California and at just over $1000.00, it's a great buy.

I've already got a lower, LPK, and stock assembly is in the mail.

Nachoman
12-11-2011, 9:58 AM
I bought that upper during the black friday craze, should be arriving tomorrow. There's another thread on it, the barrel is from Black Hole Weaponry, which has a good following. Ultimately it seemed to be a really good value, which is why I bought it. I also wanted the quad rail "look", this one came with a YHM rail which is also a quality part. I've never heard of the name G-Tac before either, but I think it's just NFA's brand name after putting together a bunch of parts from other manufacturers. And they seem to be using decent manufacturers, which is why I bought it.

naimad
12-11-2011, 10:16 AM
The new frontier armory upper is a great deal.I know 5 pepole that have them and are very happy with them

Striker
12-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I will not be using this rifle for precision shooting. This is going to be a general purpose rifle that I'll take to the range/national forests and do some shooting. Just something fun to shoot that will get me more familiarized with the AR platform. I've shot a few and loved them, so I'm sure I'll have more than one eventually. I want to go with a chrome lined barrel since the longer life will be more beneficial to me than the better accuracy.

Honestly, I've always just liked the look of having that quad rail up front. However I do plan on using it as well. At the minimum I'm going to add the Magpul AFG to it.

I've already got a lower, LPK, and stock assembly is in the mail.

Ok, then I go back to the BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT suggestion. Again specs on Palmetto stuff are excellent, but they're so new, they haven't been tested much. I would try the BCM route first, take a look at the link; call Grant and let him know you want the upper, but with a FF rail and you don't have the money for the DD rail. Give him a price range that's comfortable for you and see what he says. If he can meet your range with your specs, BCM is great stuff. If not, you can always decline and keep looking. Hope that's helpful.

Bull's_eye
12-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Very helpful, thanks for all the info. Awesome spreadsheet too by the way.

One more question, with that BCM upper, I see it comes with the front sight post. Will this show up in most optics? I shot my buddy's AR that was a Stag upper with that style sight and his scope I believe was a Bushnell Elite 1.4-4x and you could see the front sight post in the scope and it bugged me. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Bull's_eye
12-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I bought that upper during the black friday craze, should be arriving tomorrow. There's another thread on it, the barrel is from Black Hole Weaponry, which has a good following. Ultimately it seemed to be a really good value, which is why I bought it. I also wanted the quad rail "look", this one came with a YHM rail which is also a quality part. I've never heard of the name G-Tac before either, but I think it's just NFA's brand name after putting together a bunch of parts from other manufacturers. And they seem to be using decent manufacturers, which is why I bought it.

Could you link me the thread? I tried searching for it but didn't find anything.

Nachoman
12-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Could you link me the thread? I tried searching for it but didn't find anything.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=450392&highlight=new+frontier

From a group buy a couple months ago (wish I had jumped on it then), but it goes through the specs and components a little bit.

Bull's_eye
12-11-2011, 1:24 PM
Pricewise this upper is making more and more sense.

Will still look into the BCM stuff. Still need to save up for it so it'll be a little while before I make the final decision and pull the trigger.

NewFrontierArmory
12-11-2011, 2:26 PM
We've sold over 700 of the uppers, and I know for a fact that at least 200 of them are in Cali!

They shoot great because of the match bbl.

There is a good spec sheet on them here:

New Frontier Armory G-TAC Upper (http://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=245_248_282&products_id=33241)

Take a look at Black Hole Weaponry's website and look at the price of the barrel alone.

With the aliance's we've made with these companies we can offer you a match grade upper with quality US made parts for a quarter of the price it would cost you to buy the parts.

Shoot us an e-mail if you have any questions, and of course everything we build here in the store is backed with a lifetime warranty for any mfg defects.

Bull's_eye
12-11-2011, 2:31 PM
Just to double check, this is chambered in 5.56 not .223 correct? I want to be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223 ammo.

NewFrontierArmory
12-11-2011, 7:14 PM
Yes, 5.56

Striker
12-11-2011, 7:37 PM
Very helpful, thanks for all the info. Awesome spreadsheet too by the way.

One more question, with that BCM upper, I see it comes with the front sight post. Will this show up in most optics? I shot my buddy's AR that was a Stag upper with that style sight and his scope I believe was a Bushnell Elite 1.4-4x and you could see the front sight post in the scope and it bugged me. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

RDS. Yes and most like 1/3 co-witness.

For magnification, read here. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94085

Call Grant at G&R and give him all of your parameters and price range. He's far more knowledgeable than I am about the AR and what he can offer you. Honestly though, that's the nice thing about the AR, it's modular, so you can make changes. Rail with Flip up front and rear sight instead of fixed rear and FSB. The other thing I would look at would be a Daniel Defense V4 or V5 upper.

Bull's_eye
12-11-2011, 7:52 PM
RDS. Yes and most like 1/3 co-witness.

For magnification, read here. http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94085

Call Grant at G&R and give him all of your parameters and price range. He's far more knowledgeable than I am about the AR and what he can offer you. Honestly though, that's the nice thing about the AR, it's modular, so you can make changes. Rail with Flip up front and rear sight instead of fixed rear and FSB. The other thing I would look at would be a Daniel Defense V4 or V5 upper.

Thanks for all your help. I will look into all of those.