PDA

View Full Version : S&W Highway Patrolman (28) question

trashman
03-04-2007, 4:14 PM
So, I have a chance to buy a Highway Patrolman (6" variety) for $600. These babies are sought after I know, but the price on this one seems high. It is pinned and recessed, but there is quite a bit of wear on the blueing, and the few minutes I had to check it out went by a little too quickly (I couldn't stop drooling).

There appeared to be some rust on the backstrap (the grips were not target stocks), and there was medium muzzle/holster wear.

But, the gun comes with the original gold box I think.

Two questions:

1) would you pay $600 for a Model 28 in so-so condition?

2) assuming the gun is all original and unmolested, would you buy it and shoot it, or buy it to "collect" only?

cheers,
--Neill

dfletcher
03-04-2007, 4:24 PM
The S & W forum might have best information as the difference between good deal or bad deal is in the details. I've got a dozen or so S & Ws but the specifics of what makes one incredibly valuable & the other not is a bit beyond me.

Does the gun have the original diamond grips or aftermarket? Does the serial number start with "S"? I'm not sure if the gold box is applicable to a 28. If everything is proper - diamond Magna grips, S prefix & gold box my somewhat educated guess is $600.00 is a fair price. If anything is off I'd say the price is too high.

-hanko
03-04-2007, 4:52 PM
Check Gun Broker, Auction Arms, & all the usual suspects. I could see a 27-2 or earlier going for $600 in similar condition. My sense is that the price is ~$200 or so too high. That's even adding a little for the prk factor;) . For the asking price, I'd definitely have it checked by a good S&W smith.

-hanko

mtnguy
03-04-2007, 5:07 PM
Talk to these guys :

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums

slickjoesd
03-04-2007, 5:59 PM
Since they arent on the drop list, any price is a fair price, since you cant obtain them legally from gunbroker. Maybe if you have another house in a different state you could somehow get one then bring it back....

D1911
03-04-2007, 6:30 PM
Hey Neill, I saw a 4" P&R 28 (dash 2 I think) at the Old Sac Armory on Friday for $425. It had factory target stocks, and a bit of bluing wear, but the action was smooth and the lock up was very tight. It had the original blue box also. I thought the price was fair and almost bought it! I've seen others in the Sac area in similar condition go for $500.

Don

kurac
03-04-2007, 6:47 PM
I picked up a Mint 28-2 with a 6" barrel last year for $450, and I would have paid more since it is an older S prefix gun. The last one I saw sold for $475 with a box but it was a 70's gun and had a handleing mark or two otherwise mint.

So if you are looking at a 28-2 I would say $450 is a good starting point, if its beet up $350-$400 would be a good price mint condition as much as $500 the Gold box adds at least $50 to the deal to as much as $150 and more if it inlcudes tools and such.

There are some rare variations that bring a premium, one of them being a 28-1(real big premium actuall) the other variations would be a no dash and a non model marked but it would still say Highway Patrolman on the right side of the barrel, this one will have four screws on the side plate and would be more desirable than a three screws on the side plate variation. There may also be a screw under the gun in front of the trigger guard which was eliminated in 59' or 60'

I hope this helps

volcanic
03-04-2007, 7:34 PM
I got one from an auction for $350. It was beat up a bit, the the action was tight and it shoots great. Great gun if you get it,but $600 might be a little high.

trashman
03-04-2007, 8:11 PM
Thanks for the reality check, gents. I knew I could count on the calgun community...

(meanwhile, scrambling to find the phone number for the old sacto armory -- thanks for the tip, Don!..)

--Neill

WINGEDSWORD
03-04-2007, 8:43 PM
Anyone asking $600 for a 28 in that condition ought to be tarred and feathered! I bought a Beautiful 27, I don't recall the dash number, Last summer for $450. It is the 6.5 inch bbl. model, pinned and recessed, not a mark on the blue, except the usual ring on the cylider.What a sweet shooter!

STAGE 2
03-04-2007, 9:13 PM
Outside of california, way too high. I bought a mint NIB patrolman with a 4" barrel for $475 last year. Since we're here in cali, who knows.

HowardW56
03-05-2007, 6:25 AM
So, I have a chance to buy a Highway Patrolman (6" variety) for $600. These babies are sought after I know, but the price on this one seems high. It is pinned and recessed, but there is quite a bit of wear on the blueing, and the few minutes I had to check it out went by a little too quickly (I couldn't stop drooling).

There appeared to be some rust on the backstrap (the grips were not target stocks), and there was medium muzzle/holster wear.

But, the gun comes with the original gold box I think.

Two questions:

1) would you pay $600 for a Model 28 in so-so condition?

2) assuming the gun is all original and unmolested, would you buy it and shoot it, or buy it to "collect" only?

cheers,
--Neill

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it!!!

kurac
03-05-2007, 7:46 AM
It depends on where you shop to, Some places put NIB tags on worn out junk, the important thing is to have patience and hit multiple shops on a weekly basis.