PDA

View Full Version : New MonsterMan AK Grips

MonsterMan
03-04-2007, 4:32 PM
Hello everyone. This is the new AK grip. I actually sculpted a new grip for this rifle, but the other day, JPglee1 posted something on Calguns that I thought would be much better than me re sculpting my new grip. It was an adapter that you put onto your AK to accept AR type grips. I ordered one and put it on, modified my new and improved AR grip (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50876), and sure enough, it worked great.

So the idea is that I take my new grip, which is very high in quality and durability and mod it a little to fit the AK. This seems to work out much better than making them myself in the garage. While I was confident I could make a better AK grip than before, using the new AR grip should work out much better. The grip is lighter and stronger than anything I could make myself.

Also, the costs of making a new AK grip the same way I made my other AR grip is far to much for me to consider right now. It is crazy expensive to get a grip made. So go out there and by AR grips to help me pay back my family's savings, lol.

So let everyone can chime in and tell me what you think. It feels good in the hands and looks nice also.

Wes has seen this and he likes it very much. The guys from Ammo Bros saw it also and they are on board also. I am putting it to all the Calguns gang for me to gauge the overall opinion.

The grip would come with the adapter, screw, and the modified grip.

Thanks to rssslvr for that cool mag.
http://www.monstermangrip.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_1de38/01MMGAKside.jpg
http://www.monstermangrip.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_1de38/07MMGAKWide.jpg
http://www.monstermangrip.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_1de38/07MMGAKClose.jpg

JGarrison
03-04-2007, 4:35 PM
How much and when can we get them?? Looks amazing!!!

Jicko
03-04-2007, 4:37 PM
That almost make me want an AK....

MMG: that's looking great!!

MonsterMan
03-04-2007, 4:39 PM
Doh!!! They will cost the same as the new AR grip. $45 each. If everyone likes it, I will probably start making them as soon as I can get a bunch of those adapters. Maybe a couple of week? I have to talk to the guy who makes them before I can give a real date.

:)

MonsterMan
03-04-2007, 4:45 PM
This is what the adapter looks like. It goes on and the MMG AR grip goes on it.
http://riflestocks.com/images07/AK/AKARA.jpg

JGarrison
03-04-2007, 4:45 PM
Doh!!! They will cost the same as the new AR grip. $45 each. If everyone likes it, I will probably start making them as soon as I can get a bunch of those adapters. Maybe a couple of week? I have to talk to the guy who makes them before I can give a real date.

PM me then and I will buy the prototype in the pic:eek: :D

Shane916
03-04-2007, 5:05 PM
Looks sweeet! :)

PanzerAce
03-04-2007, 5:15 PM
damn, that'll look sweet on the AK build I have coming back soon with black furniture. Sign me up for one :D

SunriseF150
03-04-2007, 5:29 PM
do you have a picture of a gun with the old grip to compare them too? Did the old grip sit back like that too, like the space from the adaptor.

Prc329
03-04-2007, 5:50 PM
I just found a reason to get an AK.

MonsterMan
03-04-2007, 5:57 PM
do you have a picture of a gun with the old grip to compare them too? Did the old grip sit back like that too, like the space from the adaptor.

Here is the old grip on a rifle.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1868&d=1160850979

TheMan
03-04-2007, 6:04 PM
I think it looks great. I will buy at least 1, probably a few(some for my ARs, some for my AKs)

Did you have to trim it any to work with the AK stock?

MonsterMan
03-04-2007, 6:06 PM
I think it looks great. I will buy at least 1, probably a few(some for my ARs, some for my AKs)

Did you have to trim it any to work with the AK stock?

Yeah, a lot. I can sell the adapter and you trip to fit your rifle, or I can pre trim it and you put it on. For the stores, I will pre trim them all.

The fin gets in the way if you don't trim it. But nothing a band saw wont fix. :)

arfan66
03-04-2007, 6:28 PM
Oh yeah......I like the old AK grip but I think I'll REALLY like the new one! Another reason to build more AK's!!! Great Job!

PanzerAce
03-04-2007, 6:35 PM
Hey, are these going to be designed to fit the NATO or Warsaw length stocks?

rkt88edmo
03-04-2007, 6:37 PM
Interesting, it also looks like an untrimmed model migh work on an underfolder and increase the loverall length enough to keep it legal without a barrel extension.

I don't know what good an underfolder would be folded without a pistol grip, but you wouldn't have to worry about pinning it I suppose.

Glad you won't have to go through the tooling costs again and found a nice way to expand your market!

thefinger
03-04-2007, 6:51 PM
Looks awesome. I was hell-bent on going the pinned mag route, but this makes me want to dust off my old AK mags and start loading them up. :D

PLINK
03-04-2007, 8:32 PM
Oh, hell yeah. That is very nice. Sure beats the ones I have now. Sign me up for two ASAP.

If you need some testers, let me know. I will be happy to help.

Not to be picky but is there a way to bring the adaptor in closer to the trigger guard? It would give it an even cleaner look.

MonsterMan
03-04-2007, 9:19 PM
Oh, hell yeah. That is very nice. Sure beats the ones I have now. Sign me up for two ASAP.

If you need some testers, let me know. I will be happy to help.

Not to be picky but is there a way to bring the adaptor in closer to the trigger guard? It would give it an even cleaner look.

That is the only thing that is not perfect about the adapter. I think with a regular pistol grip it would be closer, but my grip is not a regular grip and in order for my grip to fit onto the AK, it has to be like that. My grip on the rifle I have, does not wiggle or anything, but I wish it was a tad closer to the trigger guard.

If it is between this and making the darn grips myself in the garage, I choose this. It means I just have to cut the fin off the grips and sell them that way. I am so allergic to the plastic material I used to make them out of, I really do not want to use it again.

As far as fitting other stocks, I am making it for the stock you saw in the picture. But if you want it to fit another type of stock, you could always just get the adapter and regular grip and dremel it to fit your needs. Then it would fit perfect. Unless I go and buy every type of AK stock, that is what I recommend. I don't even know much about AK's. I just bought this one to make the grip for it. I think its stock is the most common from what I have seen.

Q
03-04-2007, 9:24 PM
cool. great idea. count me in for one probably two.:)

thedrickel
03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
FAL please :)

TheMan
03-04-2007, 10:53 PM
FAL please :)

Considering how most FALs are being built with a fixed stock anyhow, this is a great idea. I pinned the mag on mine, and set it up for stripper clips. But those stripper clip feeds just don't feed that smoothly.

Monsterman,
If you want feedback on how the AK adapters fit on different models, I'd be more than happy to buy one and test it out for you.

TacFan
03-04-2007, 11:15 PM
tag for later :)

MonsterMan
03-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I have ordered the adapters. They should be here by the end of the week. When I get more grips in I will start making some of the AK grips.

PanzerAce
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I call dibs :D

JGarrison
03-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I call dibs :D

I was the first reply, I have dibs over you!!:eek: :D

sdsu
03-05-2007, 12:59 PM
I'll take one too

ronin
03-05-2007, 1:29 PM
+1 for AK MM Grip. I just ordered an AK receiver from ddsranch. Your AK grip is perfect timing.

damon1272
03-05-2007, 6:41 PM
DAMN IT! Now I have no reason not to buy an AK.

JMC760
03-05-2007, 7:49 PM
I'll take three ASAP.

zippy
03-05-2007, 7:57 PM
Very nice detail on the grip, it looks like it will make an AK very manageable.

ghost
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
i`ll take the spacer/grip combo.

aklover_91
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
If I get too lazy to make a fin for a normal PG, I'm in

Crazed_SS
03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Could you post a pic of a hand grasping the grip.

My friend bought a gripless AK from ammo bros and I was suprised that I could actually hold it without the grip. I'm wondering what the grasp is like with the MM grip. Does your thumb wrap around the top of the rifle are sit on the side of the grip?

draconianruler
03-06-2007, 1:31 AM
I like it :D

morepoop4u
03-06-2007, 1:36 AM
anybody have pics of it with a rpk pork chop stock.

Oswald2001
03-06-2007, 5:07 AM
There are a lot of Galils being built from ORF receivers and the kits.

So...does it fit the Galil?

Or...

Is there a Galil adapter coming?

TIA

///D
03-06-2007, 3:36 PM
Is there an updated ETA for these?....I will DEFINITELY take at least 2!

rssslvr
03-06-2007, 3:47 PM
There are a lot of Galils being built from ORF receivers and the kits.

So...does it fit the Galil?

Or...

Is there a Galil adapter coming?

TIA

I have the same question.I would really like one for a galil

kap
03-06-2007, 5:45 PM
I just found a reason to get an AK.

Ditto that with the addition to a reason to get clobbered by the wife. Must resist the MonsterMan.

Richie Rich
03-06-2007, 5:51 PM
Add me to the "great, now I have to go buy an AK" crowd..

Looks really good MM.

MonsterMan
03-06-2007, 9:12 PM
I will have the adapters in the next few days (early next week at the latest). If you die hard "gotta have it now" guys want, I can send on some of the adapters to Wes and Michelle, and you can order the MMG-AR and they will put the adapter and screw in (for free), and you can dremel the grip down yourself. It is just a matter of dremeling the fin down to fit the stock and receiver. I used the drum sander on a dremel to do mine and it was pretty easy. Just go slow and keep checking the fit.

Or you can just wait until I get some made up. Hopefully that will be in the next few weeks.

Racefiend
03-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Now I have a reason to put together my parts kits :)

leelaw
03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I will have the adapters in the next few days (early next week at the latest). If you die hard "gotta have it now" guys want, I can send on some of the adapters to Wes and Michelle, and you can order the MMG-AR and they will put the adapter and screw in (for free), and you can dremel the grip down yourself. It is just a matter of dremeling the fin down to fit the stock and receiver. I used the drum sander on a dremel to do mine and it was pretty easy. Just go slow and keep checking the fit.

Or you can just wait until I get some made up. Hopefully that will be in the next few weeks.

I'd be interested in two - one cut down, and a second left uncut (underfolder build)

mblat
03-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Actually I probably want uncut one also for my VEPR. Will it be possible to specify something like:

Adapter + uncut?

MonsterMan
03-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Actually I probably want uncut one also for my VEPR. Will it be possible to specify something like:

Adapter + uncut?

You could always just call Wes or Michelle and ask them for a AR grip plus the adapter and you could cut it yourself.