PDA

View Full Version : 7.62X39 upper

WINGEDSWORD
03-04-2007, 3:31 PM
I have a Colt sporter, Registered as required, in 5.56 MM. Would there be any
problem, legally, If I bought a Colt 7.62 X 39 Upper (no flash suppressor) as a
secondary upper, and switched them around, depending on what I felt like shooting, that day.

guimus
03-04-2007, 3:40 PM
no, no problem at all, legally

you can also have any flash suppressor, forward vert. grip, pistol grip, stock, etc on there. The serialized lower is the registered and controlled component. As long as you satisfy NFA laws (over 16" barrel, over 26" overall, etc) you're good to go. When you registered the lower as "5.56mm" that was purely for informational purposes, and that statement is not legally binding. Many folks though ahead and registed lowers as "multi-caliber" just to be extra safe; but you're fine regardless.

guimus
03-04-2007, 6:50 PM
30" overall on semi auto.

does it load in regular 556 mags?

sorry, no

under 30" would make it an "assault weapon", however, original poster stated above that his lower is registered as an "assault weapon". You can't make it more of an assault weapon, so the only length you need to worry about is the federal 26" rule.

WINGEDSWORD
03-04-2007, 8:49 PM
Thanks for the help. Now all I have to do, is find a Colt 7.62x39 upper.:D

bwiese
03-04-2007, 8:57 PM
There is no crime adding, changing or removing features, or calibers, to a registered CA assault weapon. There are no shades, tiers or levels of AW status: since it's a reg'd AW, nothing you can do removes its status as a reg'd AW. [A Category III AW can have sufficient evil features removed to be temporarily treated as a non-AW for shipment/transportation purposes, but it can be reassembled/restored into lawful AW at any time.]

The caliber information you specified during registration is merely supplementary info - changes to it do not invalidate the registration. In fact many of us have our AWs reg'd as caliber "8888" (multicaliber). The DOJ is authorized to collect it, but now AW registration decision is dependent on caliber.

Now, from a practical standpoint the Colt 7.62x39 uppers have been very problematic. And it's not due to the upper itself, it's due to lack of quality mags. The mags supplied (and other mags out there as well) do not work well: even though they are listed as 10rd mags they really only work with 5rds of 7.62x39 before feed problems ensue.

Much of this is due to the straight wall construction of the mags vs the tapered 7.62x39 cartridges. There were some awkward 'combo' mags mfgd before the 1994 ban by PMI or US that had a small AR mag top welded to a curved regular AK bottom portion. These looked like an abortion but worked fine. You won't find these anymore, and certainly can't get them in CA.

I'd encourage you to just walk away - maybe think about 6.8SPC instead... Ultimately you'll do better/cheaper with an SKS for 7.62x39 applications than a Colt AR conversion...

E Pluribus Unum
03-04-2007, 9:51 PM
since it's a reg'd AW, nothing you can do removes its status as a reg'd AW.

One can cancel his AW registration. Though it would never happen it is the exception... :)

duraglock
03-05-2007, 1:01 PM
order the mgw 10rd mags from brownells or midway. i have a colt upper and have not had any problems with this mag. i have shot plenty of wolf and the mag feeds fine. when c- products releases their mags maybe you can get a 10 rd form them. overall i like this combo. the colt mag does not work as its just a 5.56 mag.

Prince50
03-06-2007, 3:08 PM
The Colt mag should work fine.

I have a Colt sporter lightweight in 7.62x39mm that I was lucky enough to buy before the Cali ban. I got lots of the good USA 30 round mags before they went cheap, and started building those mags with the ak lower portion.

Anyway, the 2 "5" round mags that were supplied with the Colt, were 5.56 20 round mags with a block installed, and a floorplate marked 7.62x39mm.

Any 5.56 10 rounder should give you at least 4 or 5 rounds before problems arise in feeding.

Just my personal experience.

BTW I have an Armalite 5.56 upper I use with my Colt 7.62 lower all the time. Oddly enough, I never got a 5.56 rifle before the ban.

Darin

CWatson
03-06-2007, 4:13 PM
Now, from a practical standpoint the Colt 7.62x39 uppers have been very problematic. And it's not due to the upper itself, it's due to lack of quality mags. The mags supplied (and other mags out there as well) do not work well: even though they are listed as 10rd mags they really only work with 5rds of 7.62x39 before feed problems ensue.

Much of this is due to the straight wall construction of the mags vs the tapered 7.62x39 cartridges. There were some awkward 'combo' mags mfgd before the 1994 ban by PMI or US that had a small AR mag top welded to a curved regular AK bottom portion. These looked like an abortion but worked fine. You won't find these anymore, and certainly can't get them in CA.

It has been mentioned that CProuducts wil be making a 10 round version of their 30 rounder 7.62 mag and that it would be out around May/June. This may make the 7.62 a option soon.

CW