PDA

View Full Version : Remmy 700 AAC worth it??

badhabit90
12-10-2011, 1:57 PM
i currently own 2 remmy bolt actions. both are 700 short action types, one is a varmint/sniper style in .223 24" heavy barrel with non reflective finish. the second is the LTR version. im debating removing the barrel off of the LTR and putting on the AAC barrel instead of buying a whole new rig. i would love to put a muzzle brake on both barrels but the LTR is fluted and it seems most machinists cringe because it may not center properly so i run the risk of the brake not being centered....

sooo, my options would be to find a great price on a Remmy AAC....Scheels had their holiday sale and had one on the floor in Reno....649 if i remember right. i was floored at the price....felt more balanced in my hands than my LTR..

opinions??

Fjold
12-10-2011, 3:30 PM
The last inch and half of the barrel is not fluted and most good gunsmiths can indicate off of the bore any way. Why would they have trouble installing a brake?

badhabit90
12-10-2011, 3:50 PM
i dont know....i tried a local shop that has taken several 'gunsmithing' courses at Lassen community college and he wouldnt even touch it. he referred me to someone elsewhere. and he touts himself as a 'master gunsmith'....i just want to install a muzzle brake...sheesh. 5/8-24 so i can put pretty much any brake on it...

707electrician
12-10-2011, 3:54 PM
Centering a muzzle brake is a piece of cake. Stick a bore rod down the barrel and indicate off that to get center. Any competent gun smith can do that. Take it to Marc at Spartan precision rifles and he will do it for you no problem

badhabit90
12-10-2011, 4:06 PM
Centering a muzzle brake is a piece of cake. Stick a bore rod down the barrel and indicate off that to get center. Any competent gun smith can do that. Take it to Marc at Spartan precision rifles and he will do it for you no problem

thats not the problem. the problem is getting someone to thread the barrel for me.... :o

i guess i left that out in the original post...but the LTR is NOT threaded from the factory, hence a 'machinist' is needed or a competent 'smith. that is also why i might be better off with a AAC barrel that is already threaded and it has a better twist rate of 1/10 for a .308

brian01tj
12-11-2011, 1:06 AM
thats not the problem. the problem is getting someone to thread the barrel for me.... :o

i guess i left that out in the original post...but the LTR is NOT threaded from the factory, hence a 'machinist' is needed or a competent 'smith. that is also why i might be better off with a AAC barrel that is already threaded and it has a better twist rate of 1/10 for a .308

I dont think youre getting it....ANY person who call himself a gunsmith, who chambers barrels, can do this threading for you. Like the previous post stated, Marc at Spartan rifles is a great option depending on where you live.

a 10 twist barrel is not always better for 308. Its better depending on which bullets you are going to be shooting. Longer/Heavier bullets need a faster twist rate. Your LTR barrel will shoot 175s with no problem...it can also be threaded for a break no problem.

45R
12-11-2011, 8:40 AM
Call Scott at Apex Tactical. He is one hell of a machinist and gunsmith. They are located near SLO in CA.

707electrician
12-11-2011, 10:23 AM

That is what I am saying. Centering the threads around the bore shouldn't be a problem