PDA

View Full Version : Got bit by a Mosquito... Review (long post)

Tzvia
03-04-2007, 2:40 PM
Ok, I could not resist giving the little Sig Mosquito a try. Yea, I knew about the 'bad press' the gun gets for being so picky with ammo but I've had good luck with all my guns and thought it would hold. So I picked it up after the 12 day wait yesterday, lubed it and took it to Angeles Range today.

So, below is my review...

First impressions: The gun feels pretty good in the hand, with a heavy double action trigger, and a passable single stage that lets off cleanly after a somewhat creepy takeup. It's not a target gun, and it feels no worse than my Browning HP.

It comes in a hard case, with two springs (more on that later), 3 different height front sights, and a trigger lock tool. It also came with a 'through the action' gunlock and two magazines.
http://home.earthlink.net/~l.segal/images/sig-box.jpg

At the range, I had 4 different rounds. Remington 'Golden Bullet Value Pack', CCI Mini-Mags, CCI Green Tag and Federal 22 Classic. The two recoil springs it comes with are a light and a heavy, and since the heavy was installed I started with that. It was very windy at the range, gusty and strong enough to rip the targets of the cardboard backing, so the ROs would not allow pistol targets up at 7yds since they were being blown off. So instead I took a rifle target and went out to the minimum 25 yards with it and did all my shooting there.

Starting with the Remington load, I had several FTFs- either it would not eject the spent case, or would eject, but the slide closed on an empty chamber. Had a failure or two with every mag. Ok, I switched to the CCI Green. That was worse. I had to rack the slide with every shot. The Federal was just as bad. So I switched to the light spring. The CCI Green and Federal were as bad as before, so I stopped shooting them. I then tried the CCI Mini-Mag, and got perfect function through two mags. Then tried the Remington again, and went through approximately 300 rounds of that (most of a 525 round bulk box) without a bobble. It likes the cheapest round! Hooray!
http://home.earthlink.net/~l.segal/images/sig-target.jpg

The bottom target is one mag in heavy gusty winds at 25 yards. The top, is I don't know how many. All with the cheap Remington. I also spent some time shooting the 75 yard plates, and hit them more often than not. Not bad.

So, after cursing a bit at first, I finished shooting with a big smile. The trigger shape aint so great, with a heavy curve that is uncomfortable with extended range time, and I had to switch to the highest front sight post since it shot very high with the medium (about 16" high). But cleanup was fast and easy despite being a straight blowback, after about 400 rounds of cheap ammo. And the trigger pull improved as the session progressed. All in all, not a bad day at the range.

hkfooey
03-04-2007, 8:38 PM
Brother - nice Sig!

So what's the $$ damage?? :)

leelaw
03-04-2007, 8:43 PM
I've been thinking about getting one, but I've got to at least give the Kimber conversion kit a chance first :p

Ratters
03-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I've been pretty pleased with mine. Bought it on a whim cause it felt good in the hand. Knew nothing about them. Went home and read the reviews and was a bit scared about picking it up. But yeah, mine loves the cheap remmington ammo and runs like a champ on it. I don't regret getting it.

koiloco
03-05-2007, 8:41 AM
I've been thinking about getting one, but I've got to at least give the Kimber conversion kit a chance first :p

If you are talking about 1911 22lr conversion. forget about the kimber one, just get the Marvel unit 1 and be done with.

Will eat most ammo and scarily Accurate, that's all I could say.

Tzvia
03-05-2007, 8:10 PM
Brother - nice Sig!

So what's the $$ damage?? :)

That's 'Lady' (I'm a girl) :D. It was $440 with dros and tax. A bit much for what it is I think, but you know about those whim purchases. (It seems I buy too much that way, it's a girl thing maybe?).

TacFan
03-05-2007, 9:19 PM
That's 'Lady' (I'm a girl) :D. It was $440 with dros and tax. A bit much for what it is I think, but you know about those whim purchases. (It seems I buy too much that way, it's a girl thing maybe?).

And why is it that you didn't buy me one ? :D

bonjing
03-05-2007, 9:30 PM
Lucky you. mine only came with one mag:mad: and a stupid blue sticker that said something like: Euro models come with 2 magazines and others had only 1 magazine.

cgmoe
03-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Great report.

The Mosquito has interested me, looks like a fun plinking gun....and it's a SIG

Tzvia
03-06-2007, 7:15 PM
And why is it that you didn't buy me one ? :D

cuz I spent the rest of my dough on an old Swiss Schmidt Rubin M11 carbine and a PTR-91.