PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Lancaster L47MSS

Magpul
12-10-2011, 1:37 PM
I purchased a Lancaster L47MSS about two years ago. I know I hate saying this, but I purchased the rifle for about $1300 out the door.... and now looking back at it i feel like I might have been ripped off. I have noticed all the talk about how bad the Lancaster AKs are but i haven't had a problem with mine that i know of... What I am trying to get at is, do you think it would be a smart idea to sell the rifle and try to purchase a "better" rifle or should I just keep it? And is Lancaster as bad as everyone is portraying it to be?

Thanks so much!

chicoredneck
12-10-2011, 2:05 PM
At one point lancaster AKs used to be pretty good. Unfortuanetly over the last two years they have gone down hill in quality fast. The customer service is notoriusly terrible on top of that. Due to the bad rep Lancaster has, the resale value has gone down considerably. If your lancaster works I would hold onto it. It is probbably a fine working gun that will last you the rest of your life. By selling it you will most likely take a loss, especially at the $1300 you paid. I purchased an AK built on a milled reciver from them. The gun runs great and I have had no complaints, but things have apparently changed in recent years.

MrPlink
12-10-2011, 4:06 PM
If it aint broke, why fix it?
You said you arent having any issues with it, right?

Magpul
12-11-2011, 5:25 PM
Thanks for all the responses. No I am not having problems with it but I have heard that some of the gas pistons are cracking and I would want to get rid of it if that was the case. But I am not sure. I guess I got the 'better' version. Any other suggestions?

Ruiner
12-11-2011, 6:52 PM
It's fine if you arent have problems with it. Mine however has an oversized gas port and its beating the crap out of the rear trunion. The rivets are starting to move (again). I picked up a bulgarian made barrel and I'm going to get it rebarreled by Valkyrie Arms one of these days.

Magpul
12-13-2011, 4:34 PM
Okay, how do i know if my gas port is oversized and what other things do i need to look for to make sure my Lancaster is not damaged?

NorCalK9.com
12-13-2011, 4:43 PM
If its been working than theres nothing wrong!
Every rifle I get "ak's only" that are in any way gonna be my go to rifle I put 1k rounds fast and hard thru it to make sure theres no probs if it holds up to that it'll do fine.
But if your intent on getting rid of it, pass it on to me and i'll rebuild it lol

unusedusername
12-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Thanks for all the responses. No I am not having problems with it but I have heard that some of the gas pistons are cracking and I would want to get rid of it if that was the case. But I am not sure. I guess I got the 'better' version. Any other suggestions?

If the piston breaks then get a new one. One nice thing about AKs is that replacement parts are easy to find.

Despite the bad rep they have recently, I still think they make the best looking wood furniture of any US made production AK.

As for gassing issues, look here: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=127866

If the rear of your rifle looks like the rear of that rifle then you are OK. Scratches are just tool marks and are OK on that part of the rifle.

If the read of your rifle looks beat up like the blue thing (the buffer) then you are overgassed. Anything that looks like hammer (or puncture!) marks are a reason to worry, especially if the bolt carrier also has matching marks.

If it's overgassed then take it to Valkyrie Arms as the best AK smith I've met is there...

MrPlink
12-14-2011, 2:48 AM
you know what? It probably is a POS.
I'll give you 200 bucks for it that you can put towards a Saiga. :D

peter95
12-14-2011, 2:56 AM

lol

anyways, op, I would keep it. You most likely got it when it was good stuff. If you sell you, you will be taking a loss, which is not worth it...

peter95
12-14-2011, 2:56 AM

lol

anyways, op, I would keep it. You most likely got it when it was good stuff. If you sell you, you will be taking a loss, which is not worth it...

zfields
12-14-2011, 7:37 AM
If it aint' broke....

Magpul
12-15-2011, 1:07 PM
Thank you so much everyone for the great information!!!!! I have finals to study for now...... so its off to finals and then the gun range!!!! :D

ChrisO
12-15-2011, 1:11 PM
Lancaster MADE some really fine AK's but as someone said their quality control and customer service has suffered considerably the last couple years. I had a Russian Red that I wish I never got rid of. Such a dream to shoot and a VERY well built AK. If it functions fine I would hold onto it. Rewind a couple years ago you didn't read much bad about Lancaster.