View Full Version : Q's about RRA barrels

03-04-2007, 1:25 PM
I just purchased an RRA CAR A2 16 inch 5.56 upper from PK firearms and I noticed that the barrel does not have markings on it. My bushmaster, stags, and DPMS barrels say something along the lines of "B MP Chrome Bore 5.56 NATO" and so forth. Does RRA not mark their barrels? I am only asking this because I'm wondering if PK really sent me the RRA upper I paid for since the upper receiver does not have the RRA logo near the rear site. The upper has one hell of thick barrel on it though.

03-04-2007, 1:30 PM
PK is an honest company. no need to question it.

03-04-2007, 1:59 PM
You know what, PK may be an honest company but their suppliers may not. If it were me, I'd contact the company via email and send a photo attached with a comparison of their RRA barrel and another barrel with markings and ask if everything is ok. The worst case scenario is they will just email you back and say it's ok, or it may have been an honest mistake and they will fix it, or they may not know but at least you have a record of contacting them immediately after receiving it so they can't say you replaced the barrel with a crap one and are just trying to get another good barrel for free.

It's like asking for a recipt after buying from someone. It's not an insult, it's covering your rear end.

Lon Moer
03-04-2007, 2:08 PM
RRA uses Wilson barrels (not Wilson Combat) that are not marked.

03-04-2007, 2:09 PM
Exact same thought crossed my mind as I purchased what I believe is the RRA Entry Tactical upper. I can definately confirm m4 feeds and chrome lined but the barrel as you stated has no markings and feels pretty heavy.

03-04-2007, 2:18 PM
So RRA does not make their barrels? I guess that would explain why they would not be marked.

03-04-2007, 2:46 PM
Here are some pics. I removed the rail system from the upper so you can ID the barrel. I noticed that the barrel did have only one single marking near the barrel nut that said 200CL. I asked for an RRA chrome lined upper, could the CL be chrome lined? The hand guards on the Carbon-15 are the handguards that came with the upper in question (I took the rails of the bushy and placed them on the RRA and visa versa). I tried to be detailed with the pics. I just want to know if I got an RRA upper and if its the chrome lined version or not. Thanks.

03-04-2007, 2:52 PM
Take a small flashlight and look down the barrel. If the barrel looks silverish then it is chrome lined. From the looks of this picture...

..it looks like not only your bore is chrome lined, but so is the chamber, which I believe is very good for feeding reliability. Looks like your got a good barrel.

03-04-2007, 3:09 PM
Perhaps you did not understand. I bought a complete upper that is supposed to be RRA. Since I can find no indentifying features, I was wondering if I got what I asked for. I just read the RRA catalogue and it says that newer version rifles and complete uppers have the laser engraved RRA logo near the rear site. Is this the older RRA then??? Is it RRA at all????

Everything is bright and shiny from chamber to bore. I took another pic.

03-04-2007, 3:13 PM
So RRA does not make their barrels?

Most companies use Wilson barrels. You'll be surprised how many big name brands actually use their barrels. Like many brands, they use "gov't contractors"/supplier and assemble the parts. With so many foreign countries using M16's, I wouldn't be surprised if that "F" marked front sight base actually comes from Taiwan(not to pick on Taiwan, just using it as an example).

"B MP Chrome Bore 5.56 NATO"- Bushmaster, magnetical particle tested. You're paying more for a tested and chrome bore barrel.

Similarly, if it's a Colt, it'll be "C MP...".

03-04-2007, 3:25 PM
So is this an RRA upper?

03-04-2007, 3:39 PM
perhaps the question should be: "did I get what I paid for?".
Only you can answer that question. IMO, if it runs and shoots beeter than 2 1/2 moa gov't it's good2go. Blast away and have fun:)

03-04-2007, 3:40 PM
So is this an RRA upper?

no send it back and dispute payment:rolleyes:

it's a rra upper chances are from old stock. nobody likes to buy hbar barrels anymore so it wouldn't have the newer rra laser marks on the a2 upper. call pkfirearms. the guy is great he will talk to you for an hour if you want to. the guy is strait up. check out his feedback at ar15.com. if thats not enough buy direct from the manufacturer from now on.sorry if this sounds harsh but it's for your own good;)

03-04-2007, 3:41 PM
LOL. Its accurate. I'm not compaining about performance. I just want to know if I got an RRA upper or not.

03-04-2007, 4:55 PM
I have two RRA barrels I purchased and neither one is marked. They are Wilson barrels as stated earlier.

03-04-2007, 7:07 PM
RRA barrels are marked w/ code.....

I do believe I could see some letters and numbers.........?????

The letter C denotes a chrome linned barrel........

What is the letters and numbers on the barrel???

03-04-2007, 7:10 PM
Most all of the RRA barrels are heavy.....

Only recently have they come down to gov't profile on the R-4......

They will have a 1/7 barrel as well......

03-04-2007, 11:19 PM
The coding on the barrel said 200CL

03-04-2007, 11:55 PM
I also purchased a RRA complete M4 Entry tactical from ADCO firearms. Are they also reliable and will get the real deal RRA equipment?

looking back...$50-60 is not that much to get from RRA direct?:eek: Or am I worrying for nothing?:confused:

03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
ADCO is very reliable. Steve is a great guy to deal with. I have been very happy with my purchases from him.

03-05-2007, 12:56 PM
O.K., I just got a reply back from Wilson. RRA uses Wilson barrels and you will not get much of a marking on the Wilson barrels. My Wilson that I am holding right now says 206 S. That is all, so I am sure you got a RRA if the barrel doesn't have anything on it. The CL does mean chrome lined. Not sure what the number is though.

03-05-2007, 3:20 PM
The coding on the barrel said 200CL

Well it's a Wilson barrel and it's chrome lined, so RRA has been marking their uppers rcvrs w/ laser for about 9 mos to year, if I could look at the bolt and carrier assembly, I could say for sure.........

But in the end are you happy w/ it?????

PK and ADCO are good people but everyone makes mistakes....

03-05-2007, 4:22 PM
Cool beans. Yeah I'm happy with it, I just wanted to make sure it was the brand I paid for. On a side note, I did not order from ADCO so I don't know how it even came up.

03-05-2007, 4:28 PM
neomedic mentioned ADCO.