PDA

View Full Version : Larue 5.56 OBR or Predatar

BRANDON7766
12-10-2011, 8:36 AM
Narrowing down from a short list I became stumped on the Larues. I figured the OBR would be their top of the line go to gun but for a gun to train with I'm not sure that the Predatar wouldn't be better....your thoughts? This gun would be my carbine course, range, HD gun.

PolishMike
12-10-2011, 8:41 AM
For Carbine course type shooting I would get the predatar.

Knife Edge
12-10-2011, 10:00 AM
OBR is heavy.... But with that a rock solid upper rail, thicker barrel. Both are the same otherwise. PredatAR is very light and supposedly shoots under 1 MOA as well. Really can't go wrong. I have the OBR in .308 and would like the 16" PredatAR in .308 as well.

Tough say. Whats less than 2 pounds between friends.

Unless you go to a long distance range I'd get the PredatAR.

Omega13device
12-10-2011, 8:09 PM
For Carbine course type shooting I would get the predatar.

Totally agree with Mike. It's not so much that the OBR is the top of the line relative to the Predatar, it's just designed for a different scenario.

louscamaro91
12-10-2011, 8:13 PM
Hey Brandon,
I think Sierra in Modesto is a stocking dealer for Larue.
Do you ever shop there?

ghettojet
12-11-2011, 8:41 AM
I had the same issue as you when choosing a larue. I picked the predatAR in 5.56. Call larue and talk to a fellow name Alfred. Basically what he told me is they are more or less the same gun-The PredatAR has weight shaved off of it. According to Alfred they should have the same accuracy untill they heat up.

BRANDON7766
12-11-2011, 9:06 AM
Hey Brandon,
I think Sierra in Modesto is a stocking dealer for Larue.
Do you ever shop there?

Yeah sometimes...don't think I've ever seen a Larue there tho. I'll have to check it out.

I would prefer to keep my business local but it seems the colts are about 250 higher here and the Larue I was quoted by a local dealer was nearly 200 higher than his map price on his website...when you are looking at buying multiple guns that kind of cash difference adds up quick. having said that though I'll def give them a chance to match.

With that said, I've narrowed down to the predator and the colt 6940....it's apples vs oranges though I think. Hard to compare those 2 rifles though, they are so very different.

PolishMike
12-11-2011, 9:09 AM
We are a Larue dealer and we always have a couple you can check out.

cuinmysights
12-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Own both. OBR heavy, accurate. PredatAR lighter, not suited for mag dump after mag dump and maintain initial accuracy

12-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Build a STEALTH....

Striker
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Costa has been writing on his Facebook page that Larue is coming out with some new rifles that are amazing. I'm assuming he's been the guy testing them, so with SHOT about 5 weeks away, you might want to consider waiting and see what they release for 2012.

Knife Edge
12-11-2011, 2:04 PM
Costa has been writing on his Facebook page that Larue is coming out with some new rifles that are amazing. I'm assuming he's been the guy testing them, so with SHOT about 5 weeks away, you might want to consider waiting and see what they release for 2012.

Stoked!!

cutty01
12-11-2011, 9:57 PM
When I was shopping for a .308 version I actually called LaRue and asked their opinion. For best accuracy (sub-MOA) and repeated high round paper punching they recommended the OBR platform. If you are going to be doing hiking and shoot less per range day, then maybe the PredatAR.

HK Dave
12-11-2011, 11:44 PM
My wife's PredatAR 5.56 came with a target showing a .238" MOA group. I'm not a 1/4" shooter but i've got it to .5"

It would be hard to believe the OBR can do better.

The only AR i've ever personally seen shoot tighter groups is a Rainier Ultramatch.

Not to say better doesn't exist but i'm only going from personal experience.

Knife Edge
12-12-2011, 7:15 AM
I'd say if you are going to push the limits of .308, I'd get the heavier platform. Depending on what scope you use, the 20 MOA rail can really help you out. For 600-700 yards and in I'd get the PredatAR.

Omega13device
12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
LaRue makes a 20 MOA scope mount if you want to go farther out so that's not really a limitation for the Predatar. I think the bigger difference is that the lighter barrel heats faster and groups will open up sooner, but for precision shooting you're not doing mag dumps at 800 yards so I don't see this as a major problem.

Knife Edge
12-13-2011, 7:50 AM
LaRue makes a 20 MOA scope mount if you want to go farther out so that's not really a limitation for the Predatar. I think the bigger difference is that the lighter barrel heats faster and groups will open up sooner, but for precision shooting you're not doing mag dumps at 800 yards so I don't see this as a major problem.

The OBR is a solid platform, it was designed with this in mind. Precision adds weight, period. One has to look at harmonics when designing something that will consistently, key word, place well guided shots. A heavier barrel equates to less and better managed barrel whip while a stronger upper rail, bolted on handguards of thicker design adds to overall rigidity. If you dont think rigidity plays into shooting a gas gun, try varying the weight you put on the cheek rest, or varying the preload on the bipod; there's a bit more going on than a pencil barrel. Look at precision bolt gunners, bedding stocks, warn scope rings, etc.. Those things are stupid simple by comparison yet weigh as much as an OBR. While I'm not sold they are more accurate in .308, they are more easy to master and forgiving of the aforementioned factors.

The PredatAR has given us a light weight .308 which the same quality we expect from Larue. They used LW-50, better than stainless, but took nearly two pounds out of the gun. While some may shoot 1/2 MOA out of a bench vise, you'll become very frustrated with how much you, the shooter, affect harmonics off a bipod.

I'm sorry, but the PredatAR isn't a 800y+ rifle, they sure as s--t build one that is however.

Hoop
12-13-2011, 10:07 AM
While some may shoot 1/2 MOA out of a bench vise, you'll become very frustrated with how much you, the shooter, affect harmonics off a bipod.

Very true. You have to put pressure on the bipod forwards as well as keep the rifle on target the entire time (best way I can explain it) which can be very difficult with a lighter barrel and a pogo stick bipod off a bench.

To the OP: you can build a rifle for a thousand bucks that will do what you want. The only thing I'm wondering about is whether or not a carbine course would put excessive wear on a stainless barrel vs. a chrome lined, but when you can get decent stainless barrels like WOA for ~250 that probably doesn't matter a whole lot...

furrly
12-13-2011, 10:47 AM
defiantly a predatar..

Omega13device
12-13-2011, 1:00 PM
The OBR is a solid platform, it was designed with this in mind. Precision adds weight, period. One has to look at harmonics when designing something that will consistently, key word, place well guided shots. A heavier barrel equates to less and better managed barrel whip while a stronger upper rail, bolted on handguards of thicker design adds to overall rigidity. If you dont think rigidity plays into shooting a gas gun, try varying the weight you put on the cheek rest, or varying the preload on the bipod; there's a bit more going on than a pencil barrel. Look at precision bolt gunners, bedding stocks, warn scope rings, etc.. Those things are stupid simple by comparison yet weigh as much as an OBR. While I'm not sold they are more accurate in .308, they are more easy to master and forgiving of the aforementioned factors.

The PredatAR has given us a light weight .308 which the same quality we expect from Larue. They used LW-50, better than stainless, but took nearly two pounds out of the gun. While some may shoot 1/2 MOA out of a bench vise, you'll become very frustrated with how much you, the shooter, affect harmonics off a bipod.

I'm sorry, but the PredatAR isn't a 800y+ rifle, they sure as s--t build one that is however.

No argument here, I was just saying that the scope mounting options are there.