PDA

View Full Version : What is up with this AR-15?

SigShooter
03-04-2007, 8:28 AM
My Google-Fu sucks! I can seem to find out what the deal is on this Colt AR-15.

My father has two Colt AR-15s, both legal of course. One is his department issue, and one he purchased for duty last year. The older "issued" AR's receiver is different than any I have seen before.

In the pictures below you will see that there seems to be an extra pin above the safety selector, nope not a "happy hole", but a large pin. Also there is a insert added into the sear relief cut that has an elevated platform on top of it. The platform is stamped "COLT" on it so it seems to be factory.

Any information you all could give would be much appreciated. I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but always forgot to get pics when we went out shooting. Sorry about the crappy pics, all I had was my camera phone. If Clearer pictures are needed I can arrange that.

Receiver from Side showing extra pin:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/tzeki/P03194636.jpg

Sear Relief Cut:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/tzeki/P03202207.jpg

Sear Relief on new AR for comparison:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/tzeki/P03194551.jpg

TonyM
03-04-2007, 8:34 AM
That's a sear block that colt installed. Google "colt sear block" and you should have a lot to read.

Basically (to keep it simple) it stopped the user from inserting the parts required to make the rifle full auto.

Telperion
03-04-2007, 8:37 AM
That's the Colt sear block, added to prevent the owner from modifying it or adding something that would turn it into an MG.

ARRRR-15
03-04-2007, 9:16 AM
Why don't other companies(OLL's) do this? It seems like it would be a good thing for us. The media/brady bunch couldn't say that these rifles are easily converted to full auto. If they did something like this I would trade my OLL for any OLL w/ a sear block, to have a pistol grip with detachable mag. It would just show that we only want the AR for target shooting, hunting, and 2A rights and not for spraying full auto fire from the hip into a crowd.

Spica
03-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't believe most OLL's need a sear block, as the majority of them has a high shelf. So to convert one of these to accept an auto sear would entail removal of material from the shelf, a task I believe is not easily accomplished. Of course there are a few OLL's that are manufactured with a low shelf, but even with this feature, the rifle would still require additional modifications for it to go full auto.

As far as the brady bunch goes, I don't believe it would matter to them if the rifle has a sear block or not.

KenpoProfessor
03-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Why don't other companies(OLL's) do this? It seems like it would be a good thing for us. The media/brady bunch couldn't say that these rifles are easily converted to full auto. If they did something like this I would trade my OLL for any OLL w/ a sear block, to have a pistol grip with detachable mag. It would just show that we only want the AR for target shooting, hunting, and 2A rights and not for spraying full auto fire from the hip into a crowd.

HMmm, there's that compromise thing again, you know, SENSIBLE gun laws.

2nd Amendment rights means the right to own those weapons with a military application should we need it, which means, NFA should be nulled and voided.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

24_minutes_to_1000
03-04-2007, 12:17 PM
"Why don't other companies(OLL's) do this? It seems like it would be a good thing for us. The media/brady bunch couldn't say that these rifles are easily converted to full auto. If they did something like this I would trade my OLL for any OLL w/ a sear block, to have a pistol grip with detachable mag. It would just show that we only want the AR for target shooting, hunting, and 2A rights and not for spraying full auto fire from the hip into a crowd."

The only catering-to to the Brady Bunch that I would ever condone would be catering a party to celebrate the deaths of each and every one of those freedom hating gun grabbers.

Those worthless pieces of excrement are in active battle to strip us of our rights, and as such should be given no quarter, and no compromise should ever be considered.

If I saw Sarah Brady on fire and had the means to quench the fire, I would sit down and enjoy each minute of her smoldering show.

And yes, I do get pretty damned grumpy when I consider what these gutless do-gooders have done to our once great republic while we sat by and watched.

Spica
03-04-2007, 12:36 PM
If I do see Sarah Brady or a certain legislator with a propensity for holding a rifle with her finger on the trigger in flames, and I have a bucket of water. I would pour that water on me. I don't want to get singed, those things hurt.;)

ARRRR-15
03-05-2007, 7:41 AM
HMmm, there's that compromise thing again, you know, SENSIBLE gun laws.

2nd Amendment rights means the right to own those weapons with a military application should we need it, which means, NFA should be nulled and voided.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

True, but how many AR owners even know how to make auto parts, 5%? When the SHTF, I'm sure most would keep their's semi, because they can't or don't know how to make it function in auto. For that 5% that know how and can make an auto work, they could just mill file out the sear block when the SHTF.

It's kinda like the same reasoning behind the prince 50 lock or going with out a grip. It's legal and the DOJ knows this and seems to be happy(for now) that you need a tool to remove the mag, but if need be it can be converted back to SHTF mode.

The whole OLL thing is a compromise, not intentional though. Same as the mag lock and gripless builds. You can have that but not that. If we are willing to take the grip off the gun to use detachable hi caps, then why wouldn't you have a lower with a sear block to be able to put the grip back on and use your hi caps, have a forward grip, and a flash hider.

I know this is far out, but if it came up I would be down to swap my OLL for a sear blocked version.

ocabj
03-05-2007, 7:57 AM
If you plan on using a Geiselle trigger, or any other 2-stage competition grade trigger, you need to remove the sear block because it gets in the way of competition grade trigger mechanisms.

http://www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184

Use the above URL for instructions on removal. I had the same sear block on a Colt Sporter Lightweight. It took about 20 min to remove it with a Dremel, breaking several cutters. Follow the advice in the instructions and use oil.

Here's a couple pics of my Colt Sporter without the sear block:

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/geissele_coltlp/IMG_4461.sized.jpg

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery/albums/geissele_coltlp/IMG_4469.sized.jpg

Notice the remnants of the roll pin at the rear of the lower channel.

I met a guy at the last Santa Margarita high power match who also has a Colt, and was using a 2-stage, but I can't remember which one actually fit. Not sure if he said Timney or JP, or something else.

KenpoProfessor
03-05-2007, 8:08 AM
True, but how many AR owners even know how to make auto parts, 5%? When the SHTF, I'm sure most would keep their's semi, because they can't or don't know how to make it function in auto. For that 5% that know how and can make an auto work, they could just mill file out the sear block when the SHTF.

It's kinda like the same reasoning behind the prince 50 lock or going with out a grip. It's legal and the DOJ knows this and seems to be happy(for now) that you need a tool to remove the mag, but if need be it can be converted back to SHTF mode.

The whole OLL thing is a compromise, not intentional though. Same as the mag lock and gripless builds. You can have that but not that. If we are willing to take the grip off the gun to use detachable hi caps, then why wouldn't you have a lower with a sear block to be able to put the grip back on and use your hi caps, have a forward grip, and a flash hider.

I know this is far out, but if it came up I would be down to swap my OLL for a sear blocked version.

You see, the whole idea of the OLL movement was that we would not compromise and go with the Rugers, Kel-Tecs, etc. that CA would allow us, we wanted what the rest of FREE AMERICA has. We didn't compromise, we innovated and complied EXACTLY the letter of the law used against us.

Once again, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. It has been, here and a few other states, and we are simply taking back what we're righted to have according to the 2nd Amendment. We should be allowed to have whatever military weapons are available, and in their military forms, not some shell of it that works partially.

If you're willing to compromise great, I'm not, and I'm trying to do my part in the RKBA movement. I keep my firearms in their semi-auto state to comply with the CURRENT law that we're attempting to change. Things won't change if you're always willing to compromise at their level, let them meet us at ours. England has found out the hard way, and Australia is well on their way down the slippery slope.

BTW, I think you're mistaken if you think only 5% of gun owners know how to make their weapons full auto should the need arise, I would believe it's much higher.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

ARRRR-15
03-05-2007, 9:24 AM
I see what you saying, but as the laws are written right now it would be a step up from what we have now(kinda like the OLL deal). Having a non sear blocked lower without a grip doesn't seem to be an advantage to me. I feel that it would be another win for us if what I proposed went through. As you pointed out, it's not about being able to convert or assemble your rifle into SHTF mode, it should be legal to have the SHTF already.

SHTF mode to most AR owners would be to unscrew their prince50's or put their pistol grips on. With the sear block this could make most peoples SHTF mode legal as of now.

And, again if you really needed to have an auto you could mill/grind/file out the block. I dout that more than 10% of the percent that know how to make an AR full auto even have the parts lying around. They would need to be machined or cut out. It you have the know how and tools to make auto parts then I'm sure you could remove the block in acouple of hours.