PDA

View Full Version : Registered Assault Weapon

NorCalRifleman
03-04-2007, 6:14 AM
I'm active duty and have been told that I can have a registered assault weapon. What features exactly does that include? I was hoping to build an AR15 with a threaded flash suppressor or muzzle brake that I could eventually replace with a suppressor. Anyone have some experience or legal knowledge on the issue?
Also, if I did get the entire package, suppressor and all, is it legal to hunt non-game animals with a suppressed rifle? I'm talking ground squirrels and coyotes if it matters.

Thanks.

hoffmang
03-04-2007, 9:38 AM
If by active duty you mean Law Enforcement, if you can get a letter from your chief, you can buy any SemiAutomatic AR in any legal Federal length (26") while ignoring all the CA specific laws.

Email me if you want an example letter.

If by active duty military, others know the drill better than I.

-Gene

MustangO4
03-04-2007, 4:43 PM
If you're active military and got PCS'd to CA and own "assault weapons" currently you can register them in CA now. You have to apply with the DOJ and send in a copy of your orders etc. If you plan on staying in CA, I'd do it. If you plan to leave, I'd just make them CA legal that can be reversed and not have to register them.
My understanding is that even being active duty, if you are now in CA, you cannot buy anything that CA doesn't allow here.

Search and there is more info on here.

shonc99
03-04-2007, 8:00 PM
This is a brief sumary as there are threads about it.

1. You have to have orders stationing you in CA.
2. You have to be a resident of another state.
3. You can register whatever you have that CA considers to be an AW. (AW pistol, AW rifle- whatever.)
4. Once you get it you cannot add weapons to it.
5. There is nothing that says you had to have owned a given AW before coming into CA, only owning it before filling out the ppwrk.
6. If you retire or get out the permit expires.
7. You have to renew it yearly.

Therer are a few more details but if you need more, PM me

Cheers

bwiese
03-04-2007, 8:08 PM
I'm active duty and have been told that I can have a registered assault weapon. What features exactly does that include?

If you've PCS'd to CA, you can bring in an assault weapon - if and only if you first apply for, and then receive, a "MAWP" (Military Assault Weapons Permit) from Calif DOJ

This is NOT a registered assault weapon at that point - it is a permitted AW; registration and permitting are two separate and nonoverlapping concepts regarding CA AW ownership.

This AW can either be a named gun (say, "Colt AR15" or "Bushmaster XM15") banned on the Roberti-Roos or Kasler lists, or any generic AW (that is, a semiautomatic centerfire rifle w/detachable magazine and one or more "evil features" - pistol grip, folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock, forward grip, flash hider, etc.) .

I was hoping to build an AR15 with a threaded flash suppressor or muzzle brake that I could eventually replace with a suppressor.

Do note that threaded barrels are not an evil feature in CA. (They were an evil feature in the now-expired old Federal AW ban, but that's dead & gone...) Muzzle brakes (as well as threaded bbls) are perfectly legal on any firearm and are not considered an evil feature causing a transition to AW status.

Most folks honestly don't need a flash hider - and a brake can help for 2nd-shot recovery in double-tap situations.

A flash hider is indeed one evil feature that would cause a semiauto centerfire rifle with detachable magazine to transition into AW status. (Some folks with M1As and Mini14s have gotten into trouble for this one evil feature.)

As far as eventual replacement with a true (sound) suppressor, don't hold your breath, at least while in CA. You'll not get permission and thus won't get Fed permission.

When you move to a free state, you can deal with the Feds and pay the $200 transfer tax and use it in whatever way is legally appropriate in the free state to which you've moved...