PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Button installation tip - get that inner button down far enough

shark92651
03-04-2007, 12:03 AM
The first time I dropped my mag via the Bullet Button at the range I ran into a problem. Using a bullet tip I pushed the magazine catch too far in and the edge of it caught on the outside of the receiver and did not retract back in. It refused to hold my magazine in place until I noticed what was going on and wiggled the catch and it snapped back into place. To avoid this situation I needed to screw that inner button down a bit farther. On my first upper I was able to just use a small precision screwdriver on one side and get it in far enough to avoid this problem but on my second I could not get it to move any more. Rather than try to buy a special spanner bit I just cut the head off of an appropriate sized nail and bent it into a "U" shape. I then filed the ends down until they were shaped like a slotted screwdriver. I also filed a bit down on the inside of the "U" so that it could clear the threaded shaft of the magazine catch. I then just bent it to fit and snugged it down using a pair of pliers until the magazine would no longer catch on the receiver. Problem solved.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/157/409643851_315646fe96.jpg

Prince50
03-05-2007, 9:24 AM
Nice!

How much for 1,000 of them. LOL!

Darin

stator
03-05-2007, 9:49 AM
Using a bullet tip I pushed the magazine catch too far in and the edge of it caught on the outside of the receiver and did not retract back in.

Do you mean to say the magazine catch caught the edge of the boss?

shark92651
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Nice!

How much for 1,000 of them. LOL!

Darin

The labor cost alone would price me out of the market :D

shark92651
03-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Do you mean to say the magazine catch caught the edge of the boss?

Is the "boss" what you call that protrusion around the mag catch? It's weird, on my first upper I snugged the inner button just past the end of the threaded part of the catch and even if I press it all the way in with a tool it will not catch and always closes back on it's own. On my second upper, I hud to snug the inner button down at least 1/8" past the end of the threaded shaft. I don't know if it was a slight difference in the catch or the length of the inner button or what.

xrMike
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Nice MacGyver'ing job!

thomye
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
i'm confused. is this an older BB kit? my inner mag button is smooth and there is nothing for it to catch on. i might not be looking at the right place.

shark92651
03-05-2007, 1:03 PM
i'm confused. is this an older BB kit? my inner mag button is smooth and there is nothing for it to catch on. i might not be looking at the right place.

It is not the inner button that catches on anything. I am talking about the back side of the magazine catch, the part that is rectangular and flush with the left-hand side of the lower receiver. When you push in the button with a tool, the magazine catch on the left side of the receiver slides out to allow the mag to drop. In some cases it can catch on the left-side of the receiver if the inner button is not screwed down far enough. As a matter of fact, sometimes it can actually fall out altogether and swing down (but you would REALLY have to screw up by only screwing it in part of the way for it to be this bad). Does this make more sense? I am not trying to cause an alert but just passing on an issue I had and that can happen to others.

Fjold
03-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Another thing to be careful of is that you don't try to insert the anodized housing to far into your receiver.

Mine was very tight to install and I had to remove some of the burr from each side to get it started and pound on it with a plastic mallet to get it in.

When it stopped going in, it was sticking out at least 3/8th of an inch out of the side if the receiver. I couldn't believe that it was seated all the way so I used a phenolic pin (the one for pushing the takedown pin out) and my plastic mallet and actually broke the insert on the thin side next to the hole.

I have to buy another kit from Wes.