View Full Version : Belt Fed shooting and the BLM

12-09-2011, 7:54 AM
Any belt fed shooters taken their toy to the desert and had an encounter with the police? Or in a NF that permits shooting, any encounters with law enforcement? How'd it go? Understanding that each LEO reacts his or her own way in this situation, I'd like to take my ORF 1919 to someplace were I can rapid fire some belts. The local range is cool with the gun but sticks with the no rapid fire rule which takes the fun out of the gun. With it mounted on the tripod it can get a pretty fast cadence on firing. I got to do it a couple times and then they told me that was enough. I have a copy of the letter from the ATF to ORF stating the legality of the gun which I keep in the hard case that I transport it in.

So if you've gone to the desert, burned through ammo with your BF and had the law show up, how'd it go?

12-09-2011, 3:01 PM
Handle it the same as any other time you are shooting. There really isn't any different from rapid firing any other semi- auto firearm. I never carry papers except for AW registration. Most LEO I know don't put any more credit in papers you have than you being to calmly explain the laws and where on offical government web sites they or their supervisor can find the info.

12-09-2011, 3:44 PM
I have had mine out in the desert but never saw any troopers. Scared a few dirt bikers as they drove by.. :43:

12-09-2011, 3:50 PM
Been on BLM land a couple times with my 1919a4, no problems.

12-09-2011, 4:15 PM
My question is more related to a LEO zeroing in on the appearance and thinking it is a full auto 1919. I had a LEO hassle me many years ago regarding an M1A when they were brand new to the public. He was convinced it was a stolen M14 and it was interesting for awhile until I was able to open his eyes to the lack of the full auto stud amongst other differences.

12-09-2011, 11:04 PM
I have never been hassled while out shooting but have let many LEO who are friends fire mine. Sounds like the same thing you did with yourbut M1A would be what could happen if an uninformed LEO came by, but I wouldn't worry about it.

12-09-2011, 11:13 PM
No problems yet. We were out on Tuesday blasting away.
1919 with a 54R conversion...... Sweet!
Extra sweet on the pocketbook:)

12-09-2011, 11:16 PM
I have a few belt-fed guns. I have a set of documents that are laminated and readily accessible for any LEO encounter.