PDA

View Full Version : AK folder + bayonet for OAL ?

Jeepers
12-09-2011, 3:41 AM
can a bayonet be used for OAL with a folding stock ak ?

metalliman545
12-09-2011, 5:58 AM
If its permanently fixed?

Jeepers
12-09-2011, 6:10 AM
i am not talking about making a short barrel legal , i am talking about making up whats need to be able to fold the stock and still be within the 30 OAL for the stupid Cali law(feds see OAL as measured stock extended, cali measures while folded) so no "permanence" needed

metalliman545
12-09-2011, 6:29 AM
I'm pretty sure there has to be some sort of permanently affixed to the firearm. Kinda like the butt plates used for oal. Or the fake cans that are attached.

CSACANNONEER
12-09-2011, 6:57 AM
I'm pretty sure there has to be some sort of permanently affixed to the firearm. Kinda like the butt plates used for oal. Or the fake cans that are attached.

No there doesn't. While I believe that a bayo would meet the letter of the law, I also think that 57 or 58 DAs in Ca might have issues with it. Is it worth the $20-$100 grand to find out that it's legal?

RustyMacHine
12-09-2011, 7:06 AM
can a bayonet be used for OAL with a folding stock ak ?
I think you've been reading my mind:TFH:. I'm contemplating on doing this for my next build instead of a grenade launcher brake/barrel extension.

No permanence necessary... however driving to and from the range with bayonet and the stock folded will raise some questions if you ever get pulled over with it or shooting with a bayonet at the range even with the sheath on there will get you some crazy looks.

I've seen some folders for sale at a shop, but with the bayonet was semi-permanently sealed and stuck on there. I'm sure it's for liability purposes... other than that it doesn't have to be permanent.

RustyMacHine
12-09-2011, 7:25 AM
@ No there doesn't. While I believe that a bayo would meet the letter of the law, I also think that 57 or 58 DAs in Ca might have issues with it. Is it worth the $20-$100 grand to find out that it's legal?

Since we're talking about OAL and you're a very knowledgeable guy...
Let's just say I build another Hungarian clone an AMP-69 if I ever find the parts to come close. Can I use an inert rocket as a barrel shroud to cover the extended barrel so I can obtain that look? (This is for photo ops purpose only of course. Most of the range I go to aren't into this type of guns.)

Jeepers
12-09-2011, 7:42 AM
No there doesn't. While I believe that a bayo would meet the letter of the law, I also think that 57 or 58 DAs in Ca might have issues with it. Is it worth the $20-$100 grand to find out that it's legal?
this is why i ask , i dont have the 20-100 grand to find out , but see it as no differant then any other muzzle devise to extend the folded OAL other then its a push button release instead of left hand threads ...

edit to add i am not concerned with range rules or anything like that , i have not been to a range to shoot that had a range officer in many many moons i only shoot on pvt land and at my gun club range in trinity co (no officer except during matches)

zfields
12-09-2011, 7:48 AM
You may not see it as different, but dumb anti gunner's do.

69Mach1
12-09-2011, 7:52 AM
Although it meets the "letter of the law", all agree, we don't recommend it.

Jeepers
12-09-2011, 7:59 AM

ok thats what i was looking for

what about extending the OAL out the back(pistol grip area) with say a single point sling mount(/bottle opener ..lol) and using a AK74 break

69Mach1
12-09-2011, 8:05 AM
ok thats what i was looking for

what about extending the OAL out the back(pistol grip area) with say a single point sling mount(/bottle opener ..lol) and using a AK74 break

Talked about, done before, and fine.

zfields
12-09-2011, 8:07 AM
They also make some extended AMD65 style breaks, that way you dont have to use the dumb single point mounts for AKs.

With a long barrel, they are useless, and just end up hitting yourself in the jewels.

69Mach1
12-09-2011, 8:16 AM
My friend AIMSMALL makes extented 14x1LF brakes just for this purpose.

Jeepers
12-09-2011, 8:24 AM
My friend AIMSMALL makes extented 14x1LF brakes just for this purpose.i have seen them , but to me adding those inches to the front end by extending the already long break ruins the orig looks and not knocking his product but i can not bring myself to pay 30-40% of the total gun cost to build in just a muzzle break

CSACANNONEER
12-09-2011, 7:48 PM
@

Since we're talking about OAL and you're a very knowledgeable guy...
Let's just say I build another Hungarian clone an AMP-69 if I ever find the parts to come close. Can I use an inert rocket as a barrel shroud to cover the extended barrel so I can obtain that look? (This is for photo ops purpose only of course. Most of the range I go to aren't into this type of guns.)

A barrel shoud? Do you mean one of those things that goes up?

J/K
I don't see why not.

chead
12-09-2011, 8:16 PM
It's legal, but only just. I'd go ahead and zip-tie it on to show that at least you're not completely thumbing your nose at the law.

ColdDeadHands1
02-18-2013, 1:11 AM
Bringing this back from the dead. The consensus is that using an unfixed bayonet with an underfolding stock is a bad idea. I agree. However, what if the bayonet was fixed with a device that requires an allen wrench to remove a screw prior to being able to remove the bayonet?

MrPlink
02-18-2013, 1:43 AM
That would probably be much safer

Mamluke
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM

THIS ^^^^^

Get a can opener on the back end, or an extended muzzle device.
I use Aimsmall muzzle, works great!

Q
02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Bringing this back from the dead. The consensus is that using an unfixed bayonet with an underfolding stock is a bad idea. I agree. However, what if the bayonet was fixed with a device that requires an allen wrench to remove a screw prior to being able to remove the bayonet?

The ideal bayonet would be a spiker fsb that's pinned on. Like a double underfolder. :D
It would have to be a custom build though all the double underfolders are listed.
Still I don't see a point in folding the stock. Might as well get a 870p with original leo top folding stock

hellayella
02-18-2013, 11:44 AM
no on the bayonet..it's just looks like a hassle...jsut pin the stock open if u don't like the extended muzzle brake...

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y492/hellayella8888/PolishUF2.jpg

trust me I don't like that pinned bull**** either, but the law's the law...

RailroadGunner
02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I had my Polish underfolder pinned in the open position when i first built her. After a week i was looking for a way to legally make it a folder again (what's the fun of having an underfolder you can't fold right?). Well, i considered the bayonet option but went with an AKbuilder 5.5" fake can. It cannot be removed without a tool, once it's screwed on the pin sinks well into the retaining groove on the can and a finger cannot even get close to depressing it. She still looks great and is 100% 30" O.A.L. legit.
http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o726/Railroadgunner/EastSanGabrielValley-20130206-001841_zpsac9d0205.jpg
http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o726/Railroadgunner/EastSanGabrielValley-20130206-00194_zpsb10f2f2d.jpg

hellayella
02-18-2013, 12:43 PM
looks good, West Co in the hizzle...