PDA

View Full Version : Lol

louscamaro91
12-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Lol

Dynamic
12-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Nice Rifles, I pick my Sar 8 next week. Do you think the over all lenght will be under 30' with the collapsable stock on the sasr8 with the dummy flash hider pressed in ?

dwtt
12-09-2011, 3:36 AM
Would a semi-auto G3 made by FMP count? I have one with green plastic stock, pistol grip, and forearm. It's OK in accuracy, and it seems reliable, though I haven't shot it much. They brass gets beat up by the gun though.

bcrich
12-09-2011, 6:44 AM
My HK91 clone does kick way more than my other 308 battle rifles and sends the brass into the next zip code. I've got an extra thumbhole stock and forend for the SAR.

joe_sun
12-09-2011, 8:12 AM
I LOVE my PTR-91. It's been solid for me and it seems I got lucky because it eats all the various surplus I've thrown at it including the tar-tastic South African.

I'm the only person in the world that likes the sights and feel of the G3 series over the FAL and I'm also the only person in the world that thinks the FAL kicks more than the G3.

One of these days I hope to move out of California and pick up a real HK91 until then I love my PTR.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/calgunpics/IMG_4794.jpg

NRAhighpowershooter
12-09-2011, 8:32 AM
I have a hk-91 and all I ever did to mine was to add the case port buffer. Waaayyyyy back in the late 90's I used it to get into NRA High Power matches and got my Expert qualification card. Bought it new in '85 for the tidy sum of $495 and it currently has a little over 19K rounds through it and HK rebuilt the bolt rollers back in '98 free of charge.

crazychinaman
12-09-2011, 9:06 AM
You will need a port buffer.RTG parts has them in stock for about thirty bucks.He also has others parts for the H&K family if you need to repair yours.This will save the brass from the mighty dent and putting the brass right next to you about a foot away.The factory collasping stock will hurt your shoulder.Unless you want to spend the bucks on a new recoil sytems from bill springfeild triggers. Try the side folder,It has a bigger recoil pad.I have two H&K 91 from the early 80's.Bought at turners for $320.00 each on sale . I use only factory mags .Steel are the best,They don't dent has easily as the aluminum ones.

challenger
12-09-2011, 10:46 AM
I've got two raw HK91s one with a collapsible and one with a fixed stock. I hate the collapsible stock rails because they offer no cheek support and seem to make the rifle front heavy.

scamp62
12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
RTG parts has what you need, and will ship here !

scamp62
12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
the stock sells for 219.00 new, and 179.00 used
i got the used, and it looks new !

nitroxdiver
12-09-2011, 11:47 AM
One of the best accessories available are the German surplus .22 conversion kits.
They are a bit pricey, but work extremely well and are super accurate. The mags can be disassembled and made into 10 rounders.

Dynamic
12-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Does anybody know the overall lenght of one with the collapsible stock ?

nitroxdiver
12-09-2011, 12:13 PM
The normal ptr 91 is over 30" with the hk collapsing stock.
The ptr 91k ( I think it's called) is less than 30.

Tank 57
12-09-2011, 4:51 PM
Have a 91.Before I bought it,got to shoot with both stocks.Bought the full stocked one.Recoil sometimes gives me a nosebleed.Only rifle I own that ever has.

sir9usr
12-09-2011, 5:42 PM
Yup, I like the platform a lot. I must be in the "minority" since the recoil (to me) was never that bad. I did notice the recoil is straight back without much muzzle climb. Double taps at Angeles always rings twice...

top - HK11 copy by Beltfed Precision off a PTR receiver

middle - C93 w/ surplus Hensoldt

bottom - SR9 built to TC config with a S/S 10x scope

(sorry for the fuzz)

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g356/flea70/HKFam2.jpg

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g356/flea70/HKFam1.jpg

sir9usr
12-09-2011, 6:19 PM
louscamaro91 - thanks, The hensoldt is probably the best value out there. I wish it was the newer model w/ illuminator but I'm not complaining. It holds zero and the rifle itself is capable of 1-2 moa with PMC @ 100yrds (haven't tried Federal yet). If you notice the claw mount itself is on BACKWARDS. The reason was that I ran out of windage so the quick fix was to reverse the scope on the mount to get it to zero up. Although its "cammed" for 308, the drop is close enough.

I have a long neck so I had to put the rubber pad on it to gain a little more stock length for proper eye relief - plus it keeps the stock from sliding off my shoulder (unlike the smooth hard plastic ones). It's working so far...

saki302
12-10-2011, 12:41 AM
The FAL with folding stock definitely kicks harder- something about the recoil system makes felt recoil much rougher on the shooter.

The PTR91KPF (short collapsible model) is still over 30" with the stock collapsed. We measured one with a tape measure.

-Dave

MrPlink
12-10-2011, 3:09 AM
Bought it new in '85 for the tidy sum of $495

you got ripped off! My cousin got his arround then for less than 400!
You win in the end though... his is long gone :(

I really need to add a 91 pattern to my stable. Came close earlier this year, but bought a SCAR instead. I figured I wouldnt want an antiquated platform in .308 anymore if I had a more modern one.

I was wrong...

I have too many fond memories of these bad boys from years ago, I really just need to buy one already (well, getting the cash wouldnt hurt either!)

So yeah, Im jealous of all you guys!

nitroxdiver
12-10-2011, 2:12 PM
The PTR91KPF (short collapsible model) is still over 30" with the stock collapsed. We measured one with a tape measure.

-Dave

Good to know thanks. Don't know why I was under the impression the K model was < 30 with the collapsible installed.

I know my 91 is over 30" for sure since I measured to make sure ;-)

Thnaks for the correction

falic
12-10-2011, 3:19 PM
Just got a Greek SAR8 a couple of months ago to complete the NATO trinity and recently went through the drill.

Things to think about:

- If the thumbhole is missing on a SAR8 it may not be 922R compliant. 4 excellent parts to get is the PTR Hammer, Trigger, Sear, and trigger pack from HKPARTS. Not only does it give you 4 parts but the trigger is way better than the stock G3 parts. I've skipped the trigger job for now, it got that much better.
- A 10 round thermold mag will get you another 3 parts. Buy the thermold stripper clip guide while you're at it. The Germans weren't into stripper clips.
- Check your bolt gap. Bigger is better, within spec. The recoil lessens as the bolt gap increases. My rifle was in spec but I could put +4 rollers in and still stay in spec. This helped tremendously.
- Get a new G3 locking piece for $12 from robertrtg. The geometry on mine was different than the G3 locking piece I bought. The locking piece controls the timing of when the bolt releases. This made a big difference.
- Replace the recoil spring. $8 from robertrtg or if you don't want to deal with it just buy an new recoil assembly for $24.
- Get a heavy recoil buffer. Buy the most expensive one you can afford, robertrtg has a non HK heavy buffer for $64, the rest are double.
- Put as much rubber between your and the butt as you can. Lots of options with HKPARTS, contemplate the club foot.
- Get a port buffer for the brass, robertrtg again. Keeps the rifle from getting dinged up. Dumps my milsurp brass about 10 ft way as opposed to the next county. Keeps the brass from getting munged.
- Get the sight adjustment tool from robertrtg for about half the cost of an HK one. Then learn how to use it at home before you go out into the field. The Sight picture is pretty cool but it's a biotch to adjust and it's something like 1.3" per click.

Oh, and whoever said that an HK kicks less than a FAL (I have both) doesn't have the gas adjusted properly on the FAL.

a1fabweld
12-10-2011, 4:53 PM
I own 2 PTR 16"ers, 1 PTR 18"er, & a Greek SAR8. They are all awesome. I sold my AR308 & FAL to fund the other HK types after owning my 1st. Most of them are bone stock & shoot very well with 100% reliability. I've run everything from steel cased junk to match ammo & handloads through them without any problems. I recently purchased the weld on picatinny rail from HK Parts. I welded it to my 18" PTR91F (standard model), had the receiver powdercoated, added an American Defense scope mount, Bushnell 4200 Tactical 4-12x44 FFP scope, Knights Armament RAS rail to it, an HK Parts heavy recoil buffer, heavy rubber buttpad, PWS hider/brake combo. The thing shoots sub MOA & kicks like an AR15.

I have a few HK collapsible stocks which I don't run because they are just not comfortable. I also have a factory Hensoldt 4X scope on an HK claw mount that I run occasionally with good results.

Best semi auto 308 out there IMO.

a1fabweld
12-10-2011, 6:34 PM
No pics available. Sorry.

I'm gonna hang onto the stocks for now. They can be found at lots of different places. I wish you could shoot one before you bought one. They are as uncomfortable as can be. The sure do look badass though!

ptoguy2002
12-11-2011, 6:38 AM
Here is a pic I had handy of a couple of them:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/ptoguy2002/88f08661.jpg

a1fabweld
12-11-2011, 7:18 AM

Damn PTO! That's an impressive colletion! You have good taste in guns!

louscamaro91
12-11-2011, 7:38 AM

You are a badazz!
What are we seeing here?
I see a beltfed...

ptoguy2002
12-11-2011, 7:43 AM
You are a badazz!
What are we seeing here?
I see a beltfed...

-G3 (with bat wing, featureless)
-German MSG90 (bullet button)
-Michaels machines MM21UE (bat wing, featureless)
-German HK21E (with michaels machines fixed mag 10 round chute, soon to be featureless)

BHPFan
12-11-2011, 7:58 AM
The FAL with folding stock definitely kicks harder- something about the recoil system makes felt recoil much rougher on the shooter.

-Dave

Not to me, I felt the HK91 with retractable stock kicked much harder than the folding stock FAL.

In standard configuration (no mods) among the 3 main Battle Rifles (M1A, FAL and HK91), they all kicked hard, but going from hardest in order: HK, M1A and FAL.

That being said, IMO, if you want lower recoil on your G3 system (HK91 or PTR91), I recommend using a fixed stock along with a heavy buffer. That will make the rifle a real sweet shooter. Otherwise, you can try using a muzzle brake.

To the OP, IMHO, G3 systems are possibly the most rugged and reliable rifles. Arguably as reliable and rugged as the AK. It's been over 10 years since I owned one, but looking at the prices today, the mag rebuild kits possibly have the best prices. The real HK parts are possibly pricy, but that said heavy buffer is worth it IMO. If you plan on reloading your brass, then this is not the right rifle for you because it's great functional reliability comes at the expense of its ejected empty shells.

Personally, I am a FAL guy as I prefer its ergonomics better than the G3, but the G3 is a real freak that doesn't miss a beat gobbling up ammo.

a1fabweld
12-11-2011, 8:04 AM
OK, I've had it with the FUD that HK brass is not reloadable. I reload mine just fine. Yes it gets dented, but it straightens out just fine in a sizing die & shoots like it never happened. I'm putting this info in my sig.

sir9usr
12-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Ptoguy2002 - awesome collection, not one but TWO 21's and a Barrett for good measure. I take it you're in LE or ??? since I heard that was the only way to get an MSG90 - please correct me if I'm wrong...

ptoguy2002
12-11-2011, 1:25 PM
Ptoguy2002 - awesome collection, not one but TWO 21's and a Barrett for good measure. I take it you're in LE or ??? since I heard that was the only way to get an MSG90 - please correct me if I'm wrong...

It was a parts kit from a post sample rebuilt on a semi off list early HK SR9 receiver. Pretty common thing to do in the HK world. The HK super smiths like Michaels Machines and TSC do that kind if work.
Got a third 21 gonna start here as soon as I find another virgin FMP receiver.

BHPFan
12-11-2011, 7:36 PM
OK, I've had it with the FUD that HK brass is not reloadable. I reload mine just fine. Yes it gets dented, but it straightens out just fine in a sizing die & shoots like it never happened. I'm putting this info in my sig.

It's experience on my part BTW as I did own an HK91. If your brass came out fine from your rifle, then great. However, I still stand by my opinion.

West coast
12-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Great rifle, eat and spit any ammo...love it

C123K_LoadMaster
12-12-2011, 2:26 PM
Below are pictures of my H&K SR9T I purchased new back in 1993. Soft shooting with factory buffer in adjustable stock, excellent trigger and very accurate. Brass is perfect for reloading if you install the port buffer.

http://www.fototime.com/7AD0C38F3649FA4/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B5D7314F068BDBA/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/804562952E60C6C/orig.jpg

bollero
12-12-2011, 8:35 PM
Can the brass be reloaded even with the flute chamber marks on the brass?

a1fabweld
12-13-2011, 4:10 AM
Can the brass be reloaded even with the flute chamber marks on the brass?

The flute marks mostly smooth out. It still loads & shoots fine. A port buffer helps lessen the damage to the brass for sure. I don't have a port buffer on any of my 5 HK types & I reload the spent brass from all of them.

ptoguy2002
12-13-2011, 5:49 AM
The final word: depends on the ammo
Some ammo you can reload. Other ammo, in the same gun, will have the flutes pressed into the brass so bad you can't. Others will actually tear the brass. Varies by gun too, clone or no, and cal.
Bottom line, it goes both ways.