PDA

View Full Version : Top Shelf AK Builders?

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-08-2011, 7:26 PM
Can anyone point me in the direction of what some may call a reputable top shelf AK builder. Im looking to build AK 74 pistol and rifle milled reciever and still have plenty of questions. If anyone knows of a CLEAN 74 for sale please pm me. Im open to web sales to order a custom built and would prefer a shop I can drive to in central cali. Thanks

justjeff
12-08-2011, 7:35 PM
Red jacket they open a whole new market with game changers.

pacifico23
12-08-2011, 7:37 PM
Company or People themself?

People:
If you are in so cal check out th AK Build party coming up this presidents day weekend in So Cal. Some of the best AK builders in Southern California will be there to help out and probabaly also do their own projects.

If your up North, based off Calguns Nicorishi, SJGunGuy, NorCalk9 LOVES his 5.45 and I think has built quite a few in his day.

Shops:
Valkrie Arms
Arsenal
Red Jacket (haters gonna hate)

edit** Noticed your in central valley.... Hmmm got me there. Im sure there is a couple people up in Bakersfield or Fresno area.

zfields
12-08-2011, 7:39 PM
uhh ohh, the AK 74 pistol, the big hush hush you dont talk about on boards.

Cyc Wid It
12-08-2011, 7:47 PM
uhh ohh, the AK 74 pistol, the big hush hush you dont talk about on boards.

This should be interesting. :popcorn: I would replace Red Jacket with Krebs on Pacifico's list.

zfields
12-08-2011, 7:51 PM
Dont forget rifle dynamics. One of the really well known ones.

There is a local guy here in TX that does some AWESOME work. Parnhum custom guns.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-08-2011, 7:54 PM
Thanks guys. What's up with the no go on the 74 pistol?

pacifico23
12-08-2011, 8:00 PM
This should be interesting. :popcorn: I would replace Red Jacket with Krebs on Pacifico's list.

Krebs and Rifle Dynamics are above and beyond in my opinion. Unless the guy is willing to dish over 1k for an AK I wouldnt reccomend them.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-08-2011, 8:08 PM
Zfields I checked out that tx shop. Saw a couple clean AK on there site. Im gonna contact them thanks

joe_sun
12-08-2011, 8:18 PM
Mario at Piece of History Firearms but wow does he charge a premium for his premium work.

ke6guj
12-08-2011, 8:24 PM
Thanks guys. What's up with the no go on the 74 pistol?

people don't want 5.45 ammo to be classified as handgun ammo. if that happens, all the cheap steel-core ammo becomes federally-classified pistol AP ammo and can no longer be imported. And any FFL with it in his possession can't sell it to the public.

it happened before with 7.62x39 ammo with AK/AR pistols.

zfields
12-08-2011, 8:26 PM
Zfields I checked out that tx shop. Saw a couple clean AK on there site. Im gonna contact them thanks

Ive checked out a few of his....personal AKs. Very clean work. SBR suppressed ak 74 that just about made me make a mess.

atsaubrey
12-08-2011, 8:39 PM
Where you at in the central valley? Got a kit? Original barrel?

Cyc Wid It
12-08-2011, 8:59 PM
Krebs and Rifle Dynamics are above and beyond in my opinion. Unless the guy is willing to dish over 1k for an AK I wouldnt reccomend them.

This is true, but he did say top shelf ;) and I even let Arsenal slide!

Olav
12-08-2011, 9:05 PM
This is true, but he did say top shelf ;) and I even let Arsenal slide!

I've got a krebs saiga 12 and it's awesome their ak's must be too

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-08-2011, 9:06 PM
Yes I did mean top shelf. I perfer to have one very nice rifle and pistol for the AK set. And located in Fresno. Im currently looking into the advised companies. Thanks all

CSACANNONEER
12-08-2011, 9:24 PM
Either have SJgunguy24 build one or contact Mark Krebs. I've met both of them and seen their work. Arsenal is an expensive mass production shop and far from a top shelf custom builder. If you want name recognition, I'd go with Krebs but, SJgunguy24's work is second to none. I've inspected AKs from every manufacturer who has showed thier products at the last few SHOT shows and witnessed hundereds of AKs being manufactured at build parties. So, I'm not just regurgitating what I've read on the internet or heard at some LGS.

zfields
12-08-2011, 9:28 PM
Either have SJgunguy24 build one or contact Mark Krebs. I've met both of them and seen their work. Arsenal is an expensive mass production shop and far from a top shelf custom builder. If you want name recognition, I'd go with Krebs but, SJgunguy24's work is second to none. I've inspected AKs from every manufacturer who has showed thier products at the last few SHOT shows and witnessed hundereds of AKs being manufactured at build parties. So, I'm not just regurgitating what I've read on the internet or heard at some LGS.

Id have SJ build me one if he could do a SBR for me.

jmzhwells
12-08-2011, 9:38 PM
If you are in Fresno why not check out PRK arms. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

bloodhawke83
12-08-2011, 9:41 PM

People:
If you are in so cal check out th AK Build party coming up this presidents day weekend in So Cal. Some of the best AK builders in Southern California will be there to help out and probabaly also do their own projects.

If your up North, based off Calguns Nicorishi, SJGunGuy, NorCalk9 LOVES his 5.45 and I think has built quite a few in his day.

Shops:
Valkrie Arms
Arsenal

edit** Noticed your in central valley.... Hmmm got me there. Im sure there is a couple people up in Bakersfield or Fresno area.

:ban:

NorCalK9.com
12-08-2011, 10:06 PM
+1 for sjgunguy @ valkyrie arms!
I have seen 3 of his builds and hot dang he pays attention to detail, between him n nico I have gun dreams at nite.

m03
12-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Piece of History Firearms: http://www.pieceofhistoryfirearms.com/

For milled builds, go with a kit that still has the stubs (or at least the front stub with the original markings intact), and have a "reweld" build done by MyGuns North West / TurboThis: http://www.mygunsnorthwest.com/

Also, just say no to 5.45 pistols.

aermotor
12-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Red jacket they open a whole new market with game changers.

That is the absolute LAST PLACE I would ever go....

arsilva32
12-08-2011, 11:10 PM
+1 for SJgunguy he seems to really know his way around AK,s and seeing that cannoneer gives him a good plug, thats the way i would go.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-09-2011, 5:55 AM
Thanks all. Cannoner I will listen and look in that guys work. Ok guys I will pass on the 74 pistol then...

thedrickel
12-09-2011, 10:13 AM

People:

Shops:
Valkrie Arms
Arsenal

LOL, talking on CGN incessantly about his 3 or 4 builds does not equate to having built quite a few in his day. :)

NorCalK9.com
12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
LOL, talking on CGN incessantly about his 3 or 4 builds does not equate to having built quite a few in his day. :)

Dont know what your problem is, but I have built, w/ the guidance and teching from Niko.
So yeah I have built a FEW, or does it not count cause the rearends didnt blow up? didnt jam ip every 2 rounds? Since the ones I build work great I guess they dont count. Btw I for now still build under guidance so i'm no expert at building but I know my way around a kit.

thedrickel
12-09-2011, 5:39 PM
So you still can't fathom the difference between a trunnion pushing out, and an add on sling plate pushing out, which was poorly installed by the owner of the gun?

rojocorsa
12-09-2011, 5:45 PM

This.

Oh, and that man Mario at POHF. Those dudes builds are amazing, down to every last detail...

NorCalK9.com
12-09-2011, 6:36 PM
So you still can't fathom the difference between a trunnion pushing out, and an add on sling plate pushing out, which was poorly installed by the owner of the gun?

Huh? Not sure what youre talking about, the video I watched on a home build the rear blew off and the pistol was jamming every 2 rounds, and since I now know wat a trunion front n rear I know the one I saw in the video there was bothing wrong with the rear trunion but it sure was a jamomatic lol
Inside joke.

pacifico23
12-09-2011, 6:57 PM

Nah. No way. I've seen two of their conversions. I would take one over a arsenal, that's for sure. Keep in mind Red Jacket isn't what you see on Sons Of Guns. Sons of Guns is a Discovery show meant to eppease the masses; not the ak gurus. That shop isn't even there main shop area you see on tv... They have like 3 building with like over 30 smiths. Don't hate tll you see one in person and compare it to an Arsenal.

And yeah my bad, he did say top shelf. Just kinda hard to justify paying over 1k for an ak... Even if it was from Rifle Dynamics.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-09-2011, 7:13 PM
so if I am in over 1k+ do you find that its worth the extra spent. Again I want looks and performance. I want modern day precision in terms of the all around build

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-09-2011, 7:14 PM
many builders have pointed me to contact Mark Kreb. But havent found the time quite yet. Busy as can be as we approach end of year

Jason762
12-09-2011, 7:20 PM
Off topic, and I apologize, but I have to ask:

What's up with the hate on Red Jacket? Have the haters owned a sub-par build from RJF? Or do they just not like the TV show? Or what?

DemocracyEnaction
12-09-2011, 7:21 PM
people don't want 5.45 ammo to be classified as handgun ammo. if that happens, all the cheap steel-core ammo becomes federally-classified pistol AP ammo and can no longer be imported. And any FFL with it in his possession can't sell it to the public.

it happened before with 7.62x39 ammo with AK/AR pistols.

You can't classify ammo as pistol or rifle. They tried that already.:oji:

NorCalK9.com
12-09-2011, 7:24 PM
Nah. No way. I've seen a two of their conversions. I would take one over a arsenal, that's for sure. Keep in mind Red Jacket isn't what you see on Sons Of Guns. Sons of Guns is a Discovery show meant to eppease the masses; not the ak gurus. That shop isn't even there main shop area you see on tv... They have like 3 building with like over 30 smiths. Don't hate tll you see one in person and compare it to an Arsenal.

And yeah my bad, he did say top shelf. Just kinda hard to justify paying over 1k for an ak... Even if it was from Rifle Dynamics.

You know how it is, everyone wants to drag down those who get ahead. Rjf is the 1% so the 99% dont like em!
I sure wouldnt mind having one of them there supressed saiga12's

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-09-2011, 7:46 PM
The red jacked show can be humerous. Kinda some good ol boys going you think we can build this??.... uh.. yea.. um.. think so and they just wing it. I dont think of them in terms of precision of any sort. This is strictly based of of there tv show. I think we should start a new thread in regards to tv show builders. one moment and i will

Cyc Wid It
12-09-2011, 8:07 PM
Off topic, and I apologize, but I have to ask:

What's up with the hate on Red Jacket? Have the haters owned a sub-par build from RJF? Or do they just not like the TV show? Or what?

They make crappy guns and the show is BS. No more Red Jacket threads please.

ke6guj
12-09-2011, 8:08 PM

what do you mean?

they did it for 5.56AP, 7.62x51AP, and 7.62x39 steel core.

zfields
12-09-2011, 8:08 PM

You are talking about the state.

Fed can still determine what is considered to be AP pistol ammo, and not allow import.

chead
12-09-2011, 8:18 PM
The first choice you need to make is do you want a legit REPLICA or an AK-style rifle. Replica means big money but unless you're a historian or collector, it's not really worth it in my opinion. Lots of folks like AKUSA, Marshall, and Piece of History.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-09-2011, 9:04 PM
historical is like when you have a numbers matching car all original. To some there jaw hits the floor and they smile ear to ear. Me personally I need something flashy with a big blown motor and tubbed out. Can someone interpert that into an AK please.. ha ha

SJgunguy24
12-10-2011, 4:37 AM
historical is like when you have a numbers matching car all original. To some there jaw hits the floor and they smile ear to ear. Me personally I need something flashy with a big blown motor and tubbed out. Can someone interpert that into an AK please.. ha ha

Like this?

It's my personal Rusky AK74 and I do my best to make customer guns look better.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/my74.jpg

Close up of the rivets.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/mybulgy2.jpg

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-10-2011, 9:09 AM
^^ pm sent

Jason762
12-10-2011, 10:05 AM
They make crappy guns and the show is BS. No more Red Jacket threads please.

So you owned one of their guns? Could you post pics and point out what was crappy?

NorCalK9.com
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
So you owned one of their guns? Could you post pics and point out what was crappy?

I doubt it....
And just like with anything everything cant be perfect!
I'd take one of rjf ak builds any day over a arsenal sgl!
And furthermore i'd take a sjgunguy build over any of the other 2.
Paging sjgunguy Christmas is coming upon us, and my wish is for one of your great builds! There will be milk n cookies by the fireplace for you. Lol

zfields
12-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Paging sjgunguy Christmas is coming upon us, and my wish is for one of your great builds! There will be milk n cookies by the fireplace for you. Lol

I see your wager and raise you Scotch and a Steak.

NorCalK9.com
12-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I see your wager and raise you Scotch and a Steak.

Yeah? Caviar n fine champagne!
Btw ive never ate caviar n dont think I ever will.

zfields
12-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah? Caviar n fine champagne!
Btw ive never ate caviar n dont think I ever will.

Cmon man, were talking about an AK builder here, not a classy girl from the cougar bar.

:D

NorCalK9.com
12-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Cmon man, were talking about an AK builder here, not a classy girl from the cougar bar.

:D

Youre rite
Vodka n cookies

chead
12-10-2011, 1:16 PM
Youre rite
Vodka n cookies

Consolidate: cookies 'n cream vodka.

Cyc Wid It
12-10-2011, 1:23 PM

No, but my favorite shop has handled some - and unlike most shops, the people know their way around an AK. This topic has come up before, I'm sure you can find older threads.

NorCalK9.com
12-10-2011, 7:55 PM
No, but my favorite shop has handled some - and unlike most shops, the people know their way around an AK. This topic has come up before, I'm sure you can find older threads.

Hear say is bot fact!
Your gunshop may say that so that people will buy from them rather than rjf.
Or it could have been isolated incidents of bad qc!
And believe it or not, not every manufacturer can get it rite 100%!

Cyc Wid It
12-10-2011, 8:23 PM
Hear say is bot fact!
Your gunshop may say that so that people will buy from them rather than rjf.
Or it could have been isolated incidents of bad qc!
And believe it or not, not every manufacturer can get it rite 100%!

Actually I would rather buy from them anyway - a majority of people in the area use their expertise for AK related builds. To be frank, I have minimal interest in AK pattern rifles and don't see myself ever owning more than 1 barring the opportunity to SBR something.

zfields
12-10-2011, 8:48 PM
Let me guess, you are in the south bay?

NorCalK9.com
12-10-2011, 8:52 PM
Actually I would rather buy from them anyway - a majority of people in the area use their expertise for AK related builds. To be frank, I have minimal interest in AK pattern rifles and don't see myself ever owning more than 1 barring the opportunity to SBR something.

So why even make that cooment? And if you talking avout valkyrie arms, well then youre a lucky man lol. Ive been down that way 3x and theyre always closed in mornings when I go. Ill get in there one day hopefully.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-10-2011, 9:13 PM
So I have a bet now with the girl... story goes I slammed a sledge hammer on my finger couple months back and its all black. She said if the finger nail falls off I owe her the kimber raptor and if it stays on she pays for the AK pistol. Either way thus far I have had some great help from fellow cal gun members and and making progress. Still lots of decisions to make on the rifle and pistol but I want them similar. I will post up with I do conclude whom will be doing the builds and certainly start a new thread to show progress.

zfields
12-10-2011, 9:15 PM
I had a death toe* for for 3 years that I smashed with a 2x12x12 chunk of fir. Last summer, got hammered and finally pulled it off.

You can do it. Just keep away from the Wild turkey and drunk friends.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-11-2011, 8:13 AM
Oh man! Na couldn't do that.

So an update I received some pictures/info from sjgunguy and am discussing some build options as well as another builder in tx parham firearms.

Flouncer
12-11-2011, 3:27 PM
So, another AK thread ends in cheap sweet liquor and disgusting toe slime and discoloration. Thank Gawd for bolt guns and Mauser. :gene:

zfields
12-11-2011, 3:32 PM
So, another AK thread ends in cheap sweet liquor and disgusting toe slime and discoloration. Thank Gawd for bolt guns and Mauser. :gene:

Dont make me post pictures of it.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
12-11-2011, 8:11 PM
Ugh no no.. not the toe. But feel free to post some AK pics. Maybe a of the pistols