PDA

View Full Version : Tell Us About Your Survival Course Experience

TheChief
12-08-2011, 7:00 PM
There are quite a few survival courses out there. Tell us about your experiences while attending one.

TheChief
12-09-2011, 9:56 PM
Has no one attended a course like this?

thenodnarb
12-09-2011, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine just last weekend attended this course in tehachapi. It was a two day course. She said it was really good, learned a LOT. She showed me the bow drill she made while out there. She was apparently successful in starting a fire with it because she brought no other fire starting gear with her. It was reportedly very cold (december). I don't know what gear she brought with her. She mentioned only a backpack and a knife. The bow drill was made with paracord(supplied to her?). Her husband said he gave her lots of "gear" to take(presumably a sleeping bag, and don't know what else).

She said the guy teaching the course really knew what he was doing. Said he was kind of arrogant(but that didn't put her off).

That is literally all I got from her. Wish she would come on and write a review. But from her recommendation, I might do a one or two day course in the future. Previously I was a bit skeptical of the program, but now I'd be willing to do it.

Oh one more thing: she said there was some pretty extensive plant identification and uses training.

Hope that helps.

11HE9
12-09-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't need a class...

I'm goining off what I've learned from my Grandfathers, a few Nam vets, ten years in the Army, and several years of trial & error :D

tommyid1
12-10-2011, 10:35 PM
A friend of mine just last weekend attended this course in tehachapi. It was a two day course. She said it was really good, learned a LOT. She showed me the bow drill she made while out there. She was apparently successful in starting a fire with it because she brought no other fire starting gear with her. It was reportedly very cold (december). I don't know what gear she brought with her. She mentioned only a backpack and a knife. The bow drill was made with paracord(supplied to her?). Her husband said he gave her lots of "gear" to take(presumably a sleeping bag, and don't know what else).

She said the guy teaching the course really knew what he was doing. Said he was kind of arrogant(but that didn't put her off).

That is literally all I got from her. Wish she would come on and write a review. But from her recommendation, I might do a one or two day course in the future. Previously I was a bit skeptical of the program, but now I'd be willing to do it.

Oh one more thing: she said there was some pretty extensive plant identification and uses training.

Hope that helps.

what class was this? info??

cptorrez
12-10-2011, 11:15 PM
^^^^^^I think this class was the one at California survival school

thenodnarb
12-10-2011, 11:48 PM
^^^^^^I think this class was the one at California survival school

Yes, this was the class. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I used to scoff at people who touted themselves as "survival experts" since I felt real sportsmen don't get lost in the woods. But now I see the value in the knowledge, and I'm interested in learning all I can. Having survival knowledge isn't just useful to lost hikers. Other things can happen like getting injured, breaking down etc...

I'm planning a survival exercise for me and my friends sometime this winter. It will involve us each taking our bug out bags or backpacking gear and hiking into the woods for 3 days and 2 nights. We will only be permitted one 3 day ration. If you don't want to eat that, you'll need to shoot, catch, or forage for your meals. You can bring 1 .22 rifle, and we can hunt whatever small game is in season. It will be an exercise in fire starting, hunting, game preparation, cooking, water purification etc... Hopefully we can all teach each other about basic skills. I know my friends don't know how to gut or skin animals like rabbits or quail, so hopefully I'll be able to teach them if we get something. It should be fun.

EDIT: I should mention that quail aren't legally taken with a .22 so one of us might bring a .410
Some small game can be taken without a hunting license.Not so sure about this anymore. Seems you do need a license for even small game :( California sucks. Guess my friends have to get their hunting licenses first if they want to hunt.

TrailerparkTrash
12-11-2011, 5:05 AM
I was raised to live off the land by a pack of wolves at a very young age. Ive attended Gunsite, Blackwater, Thunder Ranch. Military and a police academy. I have been living off the "power grid" before it was a fad. I once watched a training survival film on how to eat your dead fellow passengers if you crash an airplane in the Andean mountains. :D

Thats my experience. :D