View Full Version : How to remove a stuck choke tube?

03-03-2007, 7:42 PM
Just picked up a Remington SPR 310, and tried to remove the lower barrel choke tube but it's seems to be stuck. What's the best way to get it unstuck? Direct heat? Indirect heat?

03-03-2007, 8:12 PM
First, clean the barrel. It could be wadding and plastic in the barrel causing the problem.

Have you tried a penetrating oil like Kroil? Apply and let it sit awhile. After that, a little muscle on the choke wrench should do the trick. I would try this prior to using heat.

Once you get it off clean the threads and the choke tube. Apply a lubricant to the threads of the choke tube. I use PRO-Gold from Pro-Shot but, any lube that is heat resistant and doesn't work down will suffice. Just a little will do the job. Spread with a finger along the start of the tube threads, it will coat them all as you screw it into the barrel. Remove any excess from barrel with a patch. Provided you don't cross thread, it will prevent the tube from getting stuck in the future.:) You don't have to crank the tube down, hand snug is sufficient. Let us know how it all works out.

03-03-2007, 8:12 PM
I would think that one of those methods might work, or a penetrating lube of some kind. My dad had one choke tube that he caused to seize up by tightening it with the wrench every time he showed it off to someone. No amount of wrenching was going to unseize it. You may need to have a gunsmith look at it.

03-04-2007, 3:35 PM
Wilit, how many rounds did you shoot through your Spartan?:confused:

Please keep us posted on how your resolve this matter?

03-04-2007, 4:34 PM
I hadn't shot it yet. :( It's brand new and I just picked it up after the 10 day wait yesterday.

So i spayed a little WD-40 around the choke and let it set for a few hours. Came back and with a little leverage on the choke wrench I was able to get the choke out. It was rusted in place. I cleaned the threads really well and oiled the threads on the new choke before installing. Seems to be okay now.

03-04-2007, 4:56 PM
Are you saying that you bought this new from the factory!? If so, send Remington an email with a picture of the rusty tube. I would think that they would send you a new choke tube and some rem oil at the very least.

03-04-2007, 7:19 PM
Yep brand spanking new. The box hadn't even been opened until completing the paperwork on pickup day. Had I thought about it, I probably should've documented it before cleaning it, but I didn't. :(

03-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Don't use oil use grease on your choke tubes. Oil goes away grease won't. Keep choke grease with your chokes and grease them every time you change them.

Good luck