PDA

View Full Version : Stag Upper, Factory Zero'd or Not?

James R.
03-03-2007, 8:20 PM
Just out of curiosity...I haven't shot my lefty stag upper yet. I wonder, do they zero the irons on those things so you're gonna at least be on the paper with your first shot? Seems like since it's a complete upper that'd be pretty easy for them to do. I have the little laser bore sighter thing but I'm out of the @%$@% batteries it uses.

Regards,

James R.

SixthChameleon
03-03-2007, 8:33 PM
I think it's mechanically zeroed, but not boresighted. I bought the 2H with the ARMS #40, and I had to do make adjustments on mine.

bobothebigdog
03-03-2007, 8:35 PM
Elevation should be good.

fairfaxjim
03-03-2007, 8:36 PM
Boresight it before you waste your ammo. Search for boresight methods if you are not familiar with doing it.

James R.
03-03-2007, 8:51 PM
Boresight it before you waste your ammo. Search for boresight methods if you are not familiar with doing it.

I've put tons of rifles on the paper before in a single shot. Maybe I should just dig up some batteries for my laser bore sighter. I shot my little heavy barrel AR for the first time and the EOTech was within a few inches of point of aim at 50 yards on the first shot.

I was just curious if they dial those in as a matter of practice. The rear elevation seems easy to get right, but I wondered if they bother to count turns as they thread in your front sight.

Regards,

James R.

Fjold
03-03-2007, 10:14 PM
My Stag 2HL came with the rear site adjusted exactly in the middle of the adjustment range. It required two click right for it to group horizontally at 100 yards for me but it could be because I shoot left handed.

The front site was adjusted all the way down which caused me to shoot about 18 inches high at 200 yards. I had to adjust the front sight 3+ revolutions up to correct that.

Technical Ted
03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
My Stag 2HL came with the rear site adjusted exactly in the middle of the adjustment range. It required two click right for it to group horizontally at 100 yards for me but it could be because I shoot left handed.

The front site was adjusted all the way down which caused me to shoot about 18 inches high at 200 yards. I had to adjust the front sight 3+ revolutions up to correct that.
Manufacturers of milspec uppers are only required to fire a few rounds for functional testing and those rounds have to be within a specific distance of the point of aim when the iron sights are set to mechanical zero.

Mechanical zero means the rear peep is centered in it's range of travel, the rear elevation wheel is bottomed out at the last full click with the 300m mark aligned with the mark on the receiver and the tip of the front sight post is 5 mm above the machined surface of the Front Sight Base.

Milspec allows for +/- 4 clicks to zero the windage.

Socal858
03-04-2007, 11:06 AM
close but not zeroed. mine aimed to the left.

24_minutes_to_1000
03-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Now why did you go and mess up a perfectly good 600 yard zero?