PDA

View Full Version : AK build question

Sal
03-03-2007, 7:36 PM
so i bought a romak/dragunov receiver, and the front rivet holes dont line up with the trunion, which would be better to drill to make them line up, the receiver or the trunion?

also, for the rivets, there are 3 on each side, it uses two short and one long through it, different than a normal AK, the only long rivet i have that fits through it has a flat head on the pre squished side, think i should get a round head, or just make it flat on both sides on that rivet, and then round heads on the other two front ones?

Thanks!

Builder
03-03-2007, 8:06 PM
Hi Sal,
You really shouldn't be doing any drilling into either as any elongated hole weakens the rivet junction strength.
How far off are the holes? And which ones? A picture is worth a thousand words. :)
Thanks,
Builder

Sal
03-03-2007, 8:16 PM
yeah, i know it will weaken it, but i dont think there is any other option.

the front and rear holes line up, the rear holes have burrs in them so they dont look wide enough, but they line up almost centered, so they arent the problem.

the problem is the middle/upper hole on both sides, its off by half the diameter.

i guess i could just weld the trunion on the middle, and then use rivets in the front and rear.

here is the picture

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Spikespigiel/romaktrunion.jpg

oh yeah builder, i sent you a PM about your romak/PSL build, did you get it?

Builder
03-03-2007, 8:47 PM
Hi Sal,
Thanks for the PM's.
Like you point out, go for the lined up holes first. Get them secure. If you just grind/drill the upper-middle receiver hole to line up with the trunion, it won't be as secure a fastener as it should be. Might not be a problem, but....
You could over drill the receiver and trunion so that the holes match and then use the appropriately sized ("oversized") rivet to match the new holes.
Or you could TIG weld the receiver to close the rear portion of the hole to match the trunion as you file the hole's forward side to match the trunion.
Good looking receiver!
Does your scope rail have the narrower dimensions as the part kit scope rail?
Thanks,
Builder

Sal
03-03-2007, 9:29 PM
the rail is unfortunately wider than the one that came in the parts kit.

i guess i'll rivet in the front and back, then drill out the receiver, and put a bit of weld at the removed piece, then put a rivet through the hole, that seems the best option so far.

sjpd
03-04-2007, 8:33 AM
Hey Sal, where did you find the Romak 3 receiver? (I have a coldsteel blank but would rather have one like yours)

Sal
03-04-2007, 12:31 PM
i bought the parts kit and receiver as a package from a guy who couldnt figure out how to build it on gunsamerica.com.

they sell them here, never ordered from them but the receiver looks the same.
http://www.tickbitesupply.com/partskit.html

virulosity
04-13-2007, 4:30 PM
I bought my receiver from centerfire systems. You can get one as long as the person your dealing with isn't a moron. Mine was bent out of shape by about 15 degrees. After some careful work I bent it back and all of the rivet holes actually line up perfectly. Does anyone know where the best place to buy rivets is? I only need rivets for the front trunnion as this is a 100% stamped romanian receiver.

grammaton76
04-13-2007, 4:33 PM
ak-builder.com is the best place for rivets, period.

AVOID Tapco rivets! They're a harder steel, and far more likely to crush at funny angles.

virulosity
04-13-2007, 11:40 PM
what rivet kit should I get? They don't list the PSL.

ghost
04-14-2007, 8:26 AM
I bought my receiver from centerfire systems. You can get one as long as the person your dealing with isn't a moron. Mine was bent out of shape by about 15 degrees. After some careful work I bent it back and all of the rivet holes actually line up perfectly. Does anyone know where the best place to buy rivets is? I only need rivets for the front trunnion as this is a 100% stamped romanian receiver.

theres a guy on the forum selling rivets and ak mag locks.pm "morepoop4u"