PDA

View Full Version : What length free float handguard to cover low pro gas block?

LAL6
12-08-2011, 3:12 PM
Hi I'm starting a 6.8 build and I'm having trouble finding the right handguard. Heres what I'm working with:

MEGA billet upper
16" Bison Recon barrel, Mid-Length gas tube and low-profile YHM gas block.

I'm looking for a handguard that will give me a continuous top rail, and cover the gas block. I like the ones from DD, YHM, and Larue.. but not sure what length to get.

Thanks for any help, Scott

HK Dave
12-08-2011, 3:14 PM
You need 10" to 12" to cover the mid length gas block.

With 10" it'll be showing a bit... with 12" it should cover it completely.

NoHeavyHitter
12-08-2011, 3:18 PM
I have a LaRue 13.2 inch free-float rail that completely covers the gas block on my AR. While LaRue products are pretty spendy, you can call or e-mail them questions about what will fit with their products and they have always been good (at least with me) about getting me an answer fast.

RRichie09
12-08-2011, 3:25 PM
My 11" Larue goes past the gas block by 1/2". So the 10" must show 1/2".

Just to be clear, what gas block do you plan to use? Some are longer than others like the Larue low profile gas block or an A2 FSB that's been cut down.

LAL6
12-08-2011, 3:34 PM
My 11" Larue goes past the gas block by 1/2". So the 10" must show 1/2".

Just to be clear, what gas block do you plan to use? Some are longer than others like the Larue low profile gas block or an A2 FSB that's been cut down.

It's a yankee hill block, .950" per the YHM website. A tad longer than the Larue, shorter than an A2.