PDA

View Full Version : Unregistering a RAW

norcal_patriot
12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
My dad has an HK SL8-1 that is a registered assault rifle. He wants to sell it, but doesnt want to drive to reno to do so. So I figured we could get a kydex cover for the thumbhole and make it featureless..

But.. my question is, it being a RAW is it possible to remove it from its status? Or what has to be done in order for it to be legal to sell in CA.

MXRider
12-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Why not just sell it to someone out of state? All you would need to do is ship it an FFL outside CA right? It might be the easiest way to do it.

chead
12-08-2011, 12:01 PM
You can unregister it with the DOJ. Give'em a call, they can send you paperwork.

zfields
12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
but....why......

joelogic
12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Unregistering a RAW is like killing a bald eagle.

Ubermcoupe
12-08-2011, 1:28 PM

and then selling to North Korea... (No offense to North Koreans).

hnoppenberger
12-08-2011, 2:23 PM
if you are an actual 'norcal patriot' then you would not get rid of that rifle.

Steve1968LS2
12-08-2011, 2:31 PM
A tear welled up in my my eye when I read this thread... :(

aermotor
12-08-2011, 3:02 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

Brown Rock
12-08-2011, 3:30 PM

With a bomb.

helpme
12-08-2011, 3:55 PM
Why would you get rid of a RAW!? They're priceless.

Unless he's selling it for its weight in gold, you should just keep it ...

Noah3683
12-08-2011, 3:58 PM
:troll:?????????????????

chead
12-08-2011, 4:28 PM
Lots of people sell their RAWs and in the process have to send them out of state or un-RAW them. I doubt he's trollin'..

Noah3683
12-08-2011, 4:31 PM
Lots of people sell their RAWs and in the process have to send them out of state or un-RAW them. I doubt he's trollin'..

lol it was a joke simply because it's not all that common to see.

nyj09
12-08-2011, 4:35 PM
Maybe he doesn't want the scumbags at the Cal DOJ to have that power over him.

bwiese
12-08-2011, 5:05 PM
Gawd kills a kitten everytime someone deregisters a reg'd AW or destroys a pre-2000 large
capacity magazine. We need to keep the RAW database populated so the category doesn't
die out and keeps DOJ in 'occupational therapy' - until we take down the AW laws.
This HK SL8 appears not to be a Roberti-Roos 'banned by name' gun (Category 1), and is not
a Kasler-listed AR/AK formally banned 'series' member (Category 2), so it's a Category 3 gun
defined by features.
This RAW, if sold within CA with full configured features suite, needs to be run thru a CA FFL
w/AW permit. Use of his services will not be cheap.

This gun, however, can be driven out of CA or flown with out of CA to, say, Reno or Phoenix and
sold to/thru an FFL there, or shipped from there (say, from UPS office, or US post office/rifles only)
to a regular FFL in any free state.

While neither a Category 3 RAW with sufficient features removed or with a BulletButton is not an AW
(registration allows it to be an AW; configured features determine actual AW status) some drama might occur if reg'd AW status were not cleared.

In particular, the subsequent buyer might have drama in a traffic stop..

The gun can have features removed/changed into non-AW status, and then one can contact CA
DOJ for AW deregistration. They will ask why it's not an AW and you should tell them why. (If
they refuse to accept for your valid reason, please contact CGF, as this reflects on DOJ
indeterminism/incompetence. There is a small but nonzero chance a CA DOJ agent may make
contact to 'verify' the non-AW status and that deregistration will not occur until this happens. If
this happens you should have the whole house locked up and meet with the agent in the backyard,
etc. Do NOT let the agent go into the house, or let him see other guns.

Cyc Wid It
12-08-2011, 5:50 PM
Maybe he doesn't want the scumbags at the Cal DOJ to have that power over him.

One might argue that having a RAW is power over them, as opposed to the other way around.

norcal_patriot
12-08-2011, 5:52 PM
Good Lordy.

Didn't expect this. It's not my gun, it's my fathers, he's disabled and it makes it difficult for him to work a normal job so he has a fixed income. He needs money! We pondered driving to reno, but he doesn't have a car which leaves it to me to do.. and my silverado isnt fuel friendly exactly.

Looks like "un-registration" then installing the grip cover is the best option. Thanks for your help guys!!

Not to worry though, he still has a registered Colt H-bar AR15 though!

nyj09
12-08-2011, 5:55 PM
One might argue that having a RAW is power over them, as opposed to the other way around.

I don't see how someone "letting you" have or do something gives you power over them... we're all their slaves.

zfields
12-08-2011, 5:58 PM
I don't see how someone "letting you" have or do something gives you power over them... we're all their slaves.

The state is "letting you" only have 10 round mags, neutered rifles, certain barrel lengths.

RAW's they had to give in to owners and grandfather them in.

As for the rest, I think your tinfoil hat may be on to tight.

Arnelcheeze
12-08-2011, 6:27 PM
don't kill a bald eagle.

nyj09
12-08-2011, 7:43 PM
The state is "letting you" only have 10 round mags, neutered rifles, certain barrel lengths.

RAW's they had to give in to owners and grandfather them in.

As for the rest, I think your tinfoil hat may be on to tight.

Yeah... no tinfoil hat here. Lol, you're missing the point.

It's ok, maybe you'll wake up one day, it took me a few years.

bwiese
12-08-2011, 7:59 PM
Looks like "un-registration" then installing the grip cover is the best option.

NO NO NO NO NO... wrong order.

1. Remove/change features to make non-AW.

2. THEN file for deregistration.

If you do it the other way around you risk having an unreg'd AW!

george223
12-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Sell it out of state through Gunbroker.com. It would mean you would have to ship it to an FFL of the buyer's choice and you wouldn't have to drive to Reno. If you sold it to a dealer, you would probably get less for it but it would be an easy transaction. You can also use gunbroker to determine it's value and see what others are selling for. Good luck.

peter95
12-09-2011, 1:03 PM
Don't sell it! Talk him not to. It'll be impossible to ever get that again...

akjunkie
12-09-2011, 6:00 PM
Convert that RAW SL8 to a G36 "clone":-)

glocklover
12-10-2011, 6:40 AM
Convert that RAW SL8 to a G36 "clone":-)

FOR REALS!!!!!!!!!!

Cali-Shooter
12-10-2011, 8:20 AM
Good Lordy.

Didn't expect this. It's not my gun, it's my fathers, he's disabled and it makes it difficult for him to work a normal job so he has a fixed income. He needs money! We pondered driving to reno, but he doesn't have a car which leaves it to me to do.. and my silverado isnt fuel friendly exactly.

Looks like "un-registration" then installing the grip cover is the best option. Thanks for your help guys!!

Not to worry though, he still has a registered Colt H-bar AR15 though!

If your father wants to sell off CA RAW's, gunbroker could be the best option. Only thing is, gb takes a -small- but nonetheless annoying percentage of the final selling price, but for the sheer amount of listing and buyers it could be worth it, otherwise posting it on various gun forum sales sub-forums could be another, yet time consuming option.

brianm767
12-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Sell it out of state through Gunbroker.com. It would mean you would have to ship it to an FFL of the buyer's choice and you wouldn't have to drive to Reno. If you sold it to a dealer, you would probably get less for it but it would be an easy transaction. You can also use gunbroker to determine it's value and see what others are selling for. Good luck.

To send a RAW out of Cali, legally you have to use a licensed Assault weapons FFL to do it. If it is de-registered then he can ship it or sell it here so it can stay here.

Personally I would rather see a RAW de-reregistered, yah I know boo me, baby kittens will die etc.. But at least the gun could stay in Cali, that's better than it leaving the state.

I have a SAR -8 and a DR-200 registered due to features, if was to ever sell them, I would put bullet buttons on them de-register them and keep them in the state., just my opinion.

saki302
12-10-2011, 2:17 PM
Why not un-RAW it properly, then sell it HERE?

You'll get more money, and the weapon stays in CA.

-Dave