PDA

View Full Version : Bad Experience.. Cheaper Than Dirt

SlickmisterN
12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
So I wouldn't normally write about bad service but this situation bothered me to the point I need to get it off my chest. I placed an order for an Bushmaster upper yesterday morning. Got a confirmation for the order by e-mail a few minutes later, charge and receipt - great! Today, mid-day I get an e-mail telling me the item was actually not in their warehouse, and that they would have to reverse the charge. They sold me something they didn't have... So now I have no upper, no money and must wait for my bank to re-issue the credit amount to my account tomorrow or the next day. This has put me out in more ways than one. I am extremely frustrated and dissatisfied with "cheaper than dirt's" ability to quickly and accurately represent their inventory on their site (cheaperthandirt.com) buyer beware that you can't 100% count on them for anything they have up. CONFIDENCE LOST!

gun toting monkeyboy
12-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, well. It is Cheaper Than Dirt. You can find over a decade of complaints about their crappy service. I have heard stories of people shopping in their physical store, and having employees pull items out of their carts in the check-out line because somebody online had placed an order for it, and it was the last one available. I use them, especially when they have good prices on ammo. But I don't trust them with anything more critical than cheap range ammo. And from eveything I have heard, their customer service sucks. Caveat Emptor.

-Mb

CK_32
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I've heard of worse. That's your banks problem really. I have had that happened to me and it took my bank a day to do it. I'm guessing your probably have ****ty Bank of America who's services are horrible at best.

Still sucks to hear that but I'd blame your lame as* bank more than them. This happens with a LOT of companies.

aermotor
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Marks Armory is a great place for uppers: http://www.marksarmory.com/category_s/94.htm

high_revs
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
2 different issues

1. CTD listed something they don't have in stock and sold it.
2. Slow process of crediting OP's account. Mine (CU) actually takes somewhere between 2-3 days also. I'd be very happy if it was 1 or 2 days. But more an exception than the rule. It used to be that you don't even see credit back until close to 5 days.

nani
12-08-2011, 1:05 PM
This is true for any retailer, really. I've had it happen more than once. It's like seeing an advertisement in a newspaper, you go to the store, and it's already sold out. Go to another store.

zfields
12-08-2011, 1:11 PM
Down with CTD. There instore service sucks just as bad.

crya79
12-08-2011, 1:14 PM
Sounds like bad luck. Sure it could have been worse, but I think OP's point is if you're trying to be an online retailer, do as most responsible online companies do and don't friggin charge the guy until the item ships, so as to avoid this unfortunate situation. Not everyone wants to wait around to confirm the credit will reappear. They don't HAVE to charge you immediately. I won't do business with CTD.

C3ncal559
12-08-2011, 1:22 PM
Sorry to hear that . Hope everything works out bud. I was really iffy on shopping there website. Now I won't at all.

shamu415
12-08-2011, 1:40 PM
they also sell your info to 3rd party advertisement

Jason P
12-08-2011, 1:49 PM
I'd check with Woodbury Outfitters. I've used them a couple of times now and have been happy with them. Their prices are usually in line with CTD and Buds too.

SlickmisterN
12-08-2011, 3:19 PM
I've heard of worse. That's your banks problem really. I have had that happened to me and it took my bank a day to do it. I'm guessing your probably have ****ty Bank of America who's services are horrible at best.

Still sucks to hear that but I'd blame your lame as* bank more than them. This happens with a LOT of companies.

Thanks for the reply's guys I just wanted to vent. Not wholly cheaperthandirts fault, I know, but they caused the inconvenience and yea, you got it man, B.O.A. sigh. I'm back on track though with an order through grabagun.com thanks to my old man. He's letting me use his American Express so I could place the order and get everything rolling before more places go out of stock and get backed up with the holidays. All the reviews of grabagun are fantastic having very satisfied customers so I'm hoping there won't be anymore hiccups.

I was looking for the 20" Bushmaster Predator upper with fluted heavy barrel for around $440. Can't wait to slap her on my cmmg lower hopefully some time next week. Pics to follow soon!

Edit. Grabagun just sent me an email saying they were wrong too and will have to cancel that order. Jesus christ does anyone have the bushmaster 20" predator upper actually in freaking stock for similar price. This is truly baffling to me...

Quinc
12-08-2011, 3:46 PM
Sounds like DELL.

zfields
12-08-2011, 4:11 PM
Sounds like DELL.

+1. I used to do dell repair work, I will never own one.

coq
12-08-2011, 4:19 PM
Where do you live? If you are in CA, I can't believe they would even consider selling you an AR upper in the first place. Hell, they wouldn't even ship me a barrel wrench.

NoHeavyHitter
12-08-2011, 4:24 PM
I've had issues with CTD telling me that 62gr green-tip M855 is illegal in Kaliforneeya because it's "armor piercing" so they say. While I will no longer shop with them, the charge to my CC was reversed without delay.

If the outstanding amount is affecting your "spending ceiling", then you should contact them and have it made right immediately. If they can't or won't help, call your card holder for assistance.

Dave07997S
12-08-2011, 4:25 PM
I have bought tons of ammo from them without any issues and I live in Cali. Play del Rey to be exact.

Dave

Oceanbob
12-08-2011, 4:26 PM
I've dealt with several gun related companies who DO NOT CHARGE my card until the order is boxed and ready to ship out.

I appreciate that. How hard would it be for CTD to simply verify stock before charging the mans card..?....

Be well, Bob

Thanks for the reply's guys I just wanted to vent. Not wholly cheaperthandirts fault, I know, but they caused the inconvenience and yea, you got it man, B.O.A. sigh. I'm back on track though with an order through grabagun.com thanks to my old man. He's letting me use his American Express so I could place the order and get everything rolling before more places go out of stock and get backed up with the holidays. All the reviews of grabagun are fantastic having very satisfied customers so I'm hoping there won't be anymore hiccups.

I was looking for the 20" Bushmaster Predator upper with fluted heavy barrel for around $440. Can't wait to slap her on my cmmg lower hopefully some time next week. Pics to follow soon!

Edit. Grabagun just sent me an email saying they were wrong too and will have to cancel that order. Jesus christ does anyone have the bushmaster 20" predator upper actually in freaking stock for similar price. This is truly baffling to me...

Noah3683
12-08-2011, 5:04 PM
Where do you live? If you are in CA, I can't believe they would even consider selling you an AR upper in the first place. Hell, they wouldn't even ship me a barrel wrench.

This..... ammo is totally different. They wouldn't even ship me Troy sights because they are "intended" for an AR-15.... they will not sell "assault weapon" parts or even tools related to them to CA. Would not be surprised if the upper was actually in stock and they just said that because the checkout didn't catch it.

crya79
12-08-2011, 5:06 PM
I'll sell you my bushy upper for $500...

xSARSx
12-08-2011, 6:12 PM
cheaperthandirt is pretty decent imo. only bought ammo from them a couple of times when they have good ammo deals and never had a problem

TKM
12-08-2011, 6:41 PM
Repeat after me. Cheaper than dirt isn't.

Friends don't let friends buy from CTD.

bill_k_lopez
12-08-2011, 6:52 PM
This is true for any retailer, really. I've had it happen more than once. It's like seeing an advertisement in a newspaper, you go to the store, and it's already sold out. Go to another store.

I'm sure this has more to do with the same issue that happened with the HP Touch tablets. Everyone online was saying they had stock - even big places like CDW. As it turns out their "stock" is actually what their distributor says they have, and that distributor sells to 2,000 other stores.

I'm guessing that CTD has a few of their sale items in stock for selling retail, and they rely on drop shipping from their distributor to their online customers.

Dave07997S
12-08-2011, 7:08 PM
I like em for ammo purchases..bought 2k rounds of 5.56 for $638.00 with no sales tax and free shipping...

Dave

TKM
12-08-2011, 7:43 PM
Cheaper than dirt isn't.

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.223_Remington_5.56x45mm?sort=1&group=2

WolfmanJak
12-08-2011, 10:31 PM
I ordered a loading press from them with accessories for that specific press and they sent me an email after they shipped saying they didn't have the press in stock but they sent everything else. I called and asked why they have it marked as "in stock" when it wasn't and why they send accessories specifically for a press when they weren't sending me the press. The lady told me that they only mark something out of stock after someone places an order for it and they don't have it. No option to use store credit or anything. They transferred the money back and I had to wait a few days to get my money. They do have terrible customer support.

akjunkie
12-08-2011, 11:15 PM
So I wouldn't normally write about bad service but this situation bothered me to the point I need to get it off my chest. I placed an order for an Bushmaster upper yesterday morning. Got a confirmation for the order by e-mail a few minutes later, charge and receipt - great! Today, mid-day I get an e-mail telling me the item was actually not in their warehouse, and that they would have to reverse the charge. They sold me something they didn't have... So now I have no upper, no money and must wait for my bank to re-issue the credit amount to my account tomorrow or the next day. This has put me out in more ways than one. I am extremely frustrated and dissatisfied with "cheaper than dirt's" ability to quickly and accurately represent their inventory on their site (cheaperthandirt.com) buyer beware that you can't 100% count on them for anything they have up. CONFIDENCE LOST!

Most likely they did have it in stock. Then they saw U were in California.
Instead of giving their regular excuse of NOT selling "Assault Weapon" parts to Cali, they probably felt it easier just to say Not in Stock. I know people in the past who had their order rejected for minor parts like Factory Handguards or a Bayonet Sheath.

Screw CTD. Buy from someone Cal friendly.

SLOAR15
12-08-2011, 11:23 PM
I've had really good service from www.elementarms.com, very pleasant to deal with verified stock while on the phone with me.

astroboy
12-09-2011, 12:49 AM
I have heard a lot of negative things about
CTD, hence, I have never conducted any
business with them.

Cali-Shooter
12-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Buying from CTD is like settling for a whore that you know is always available, instead of going out and spending the time to find a proper, real girl to get with that doesn't just love you for your money.

Rebellious
12-09-2011, 1:03 AM
Buying from CTD is like settling for a whore that you know is always available, instead of going out and spending the time to find a proper, real girl to get with that doesn't just love you for your money.
^this

and...

CTD doesn't support CA so don't support them.

gh429
12-09-2011, 1:08 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems, but having owned / own 4 different ecommerce businesses, I must say that this is pretty normal. The firearms industry is not Walmart or Costco - it's a small niche business with very limited amount of parts, and every part is "special." You'r not buying Dove soap, you're buying a firearm component that even the big guys probably only sell a few a month of.

Most of these businesses cannot invest in high dollar enterprise solutions to manage their inventory - if they did you'd see much higher prices.

Honestly I know you feel shafted, but at least CTD let you know. In some of the more niche ecommerce businesses I know many competitors that wouldn't even call the customer to let them know. Hell I have given employees crap plenty of times when they forget to inform a customer. What you can always do is to call your bank and tell them to make the funds available immediately - most banks can do that.

problemchild
12-09-2011, 5:38 AM
Big ticket items I ALWAYS CALL TO CONFIRM STOCK FIRST. Half the time the online retailer does NOT have stock. I said HALF the time. Yes 50% are liars!

problemchild
12-09-2011, 5:41 AM

Personally I like whores. My daddy always told me if it flies, f==ks or floats your are better off renting it.

Hey G.I. you want boom boom? Long time short time G. I., Twenty dollah!

dieselpower
12-09-2011, 5:50 AM
I did not read the whole thread. I really see no point.

DO NOT SHOP AT CHEAPER THAN DIRT. THEY HAVE MADE IT CLEAR IN THE PAST THEY DO NOT SUPPORT CALIFORNIA GUN OWNERS IN THEIR FIGHT AGAINST UNREASONABLE GUN LAWS, AND CHEAPER THAN DIRT SUPPORTS THE GUN LAWS. THEY EVEN ADD TO THE GUN LAWS BY MAKING UP FURTHER RESTRICTIONS AGAINST CALIFORNIANS THAT ARE NOT REALLY LAWS. THEY HAVE BEEN TOLD ABOUT THIS COUNTLESS TIMES, AND STILL MAKE UP THEIR OWN LAWS AGAINST US. THEY ARE NOT CALIFORNIA FRIENDLY AND SHOULD BE BOYCOTTED AT ALL COST.

coq
12-09-2011, 5:56 AM
I like em for ammo purchases..bought 2k rounds of 5.56 for $638.00 with no sales tax and free shipping...

Dave

When did you get the Free Shipping promo? Not still going on, is it? CTD usually has some great ammo prices, but they take it right back with way-high FedEx ground shipping and who knows what "handling." I'd estimate they charge almost 2x the shipping you'd pay at most other online stores.

Dave07997S
12-09-2011, 8:53 AM
When did you get the Free Shipping promo? Not still going on, is it? CTD usually has some great ammo prices, but they take it right back with way-high FedEx ground shipping and who knows what "handling." I'd estimate they charge almost 2x the shipping you'd pay at most other online stores.

I am so sorry, I realize that I bought the ammo from TargetsportsUSA.com. Brain fart on my part. I will leave another post saying so.

Dave

Dave07997S
12-09-2011, 8:54 AM
Hey guys, my bad I realize I bought my ammo from TargetsportsUSA, not CTD.

Dave

CK_32
12-09-2011, 9:37 AM

Sorry if I came off at you. I was just trying to say it wasnt only CTD. Your bank wasnt helping you out either. But either way still sucks sorry to hear you went through that..

My gf has BOA and she ordered me and her a NFL jersey and i forgot what happened and they were sold out or something and BOA held onto her money for like 5 weeks and then she got an overage charge because of like a fee they charged for it and all this other ****. It was a nightmare for that whole time and I had to deal with her pissed off about it. I didnt get much that month :(

I'm just surprised how a lot of what BOA gets away with.. I have a credit union so I'm pretty lucky and never have to deal with this kinda of BS.

CK_32
12-09-2011, 9:39 AM

A cheaper than dirt whore :D

Cali-Shooter
12-09-2011, 9:49 AM
A cheaper than dirt whore :D

LMAO! Holy s**t that is funny. :D

sm510husky
12-09-2011, 2:29 PM
was it the varmint upper? if so thats my fault. i put my local shop on to the price of them,and they scooped them up. if you want i can put you in contact with my shop. they will match the CTD price including shipping OTD.

sm510husky
12-09-2011, 2:34 PM
i have to admit,its a friggin tack driver. i finished breaking it in today.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/nationjanes/2011-12-07162036.jpg

imarangemaster
12-09-2011, 3:07 PM
About three years back when I lived in Illinois, I ordered an 8-pack of Saiga Promags for 223. (Yup, I know the suck, but at the time they were the only thing available for 223 saigas) They sent me one 223 and 7 7.62x39s! I had to pay return shipping to get them exchanged, even though the invoice showed it was supposed to be all 223.

rromeo
12-09-2011, 5:08 PM
This sounds like one of the best experiences I've ever heard somebody having with Cheaper Than Dirt.

Rumline
12-09-2011, 5:50 PM
I've placed probably 10-12 orders with them in the past year. Mostly ammo but also some targets and accessories. Didn't know about them being non-CA-friendly, that sucks. But all my orders arrived on time and without incident, and they usually have the cheapest prices on the ammo I buy.

Wherryj
12-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, well. It is Cheaper Than Dirt. You can find over a decade of complaints about their crappy service. I have heard stories of people shopping in their physical store, and having employees pull items out of their carts in the check-out line because somebody online had placed an order for it, and it was the last one available. I use them, especially when they have good prices on ammo. But I don't trust them with anything more critical than cheap range ammo. And from eveything I have heard, their customer service sucks. Caveat Emptor.

-Mb

Wow, if that is really happening this store has serious issues. The person online may understand if the item isn't available when it was thought to be available-maybe not.

However HOW do you explain to a patient that PHYSICALLY had the item that it is now "not available"? The only message I get from such a situation is that the OTHER customer is more important somehow. You definitely lose the in store customer that way.

HBrebel
12-14-2011, 11:47 AM
NO ORDERING AND SHIPPING PROBLEMS FROM CHEAPERTHANDIRT BUT THEY ARE BECOMING ANTI-CA SO THEY ARE OUT.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
12-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm DONE with cheaper than dirt, several weeks ago I was told by one of there customer service people that it was Illegal to ship me the Hoague AK grip I wanted.
Then Last week they actually let me order a J-tac break untill I got to work two days later an saw there e-mail letting me know there LAWYERS advised them this item is also illegal in California.

GUESS I'll find somewhere else to pick up 1000rds of 556 an 7.62!

Don't deal with CHEAPERTHANDIRT!!

zfields
12-14-2011, 12:03 PM
NO ORDERING AND SHIPPING PROBLEMS FROM CHEAPERTHANDIRT BUT THEY ARE BECOMING ANTI-CA SO THEY ARE OUT.

Becoming? They have been for a long time.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk