PDA

View Full Version : Help me "bury" something

DTOM CA!
12-08-2011, 9:01 AM
I am thinking about burying some small valuables and would like some advice. I would like to know what the best location would be around the house and what to put the valuables in (say cash and silver dollars for example). I would like to have easy access as well as no one randomly finding it (even with a metal detector). Then who do you tell and do you make a map ? I do have a raised foundation and brick planters in my front yard. I also have land a few hours away in the desert but a little sketchy on that idea. My 1st thought is to use PVC pipe with end caps and the valuables in a plastic bag.

Shellshocker66
12-08-2011, 9:19 AM
Can you make access in your floorboards (kinda like attic access only in reverse) to your crawl space under the house? Pick a closet, make the panel to access under the house, bury the booty (haha sounds like pirates) and cover the access panel with carpet/rug/shoes, etc.

As far as what to put it in PVC pipe sounds fine, I seen some posts on putting some dry ice in there just before you seal the end to kill all the O2.

Anyways most normal folks won't look under your house, but if you turn into a John Wayne Gacy be prepared for the LE to be tearing everything up including your crawl space!

problemchild
12-08-2011, 9:43 AM
You could always pound rebar spikes all over into the ground to thwart a metal detectors.

thenodnarb
12-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Easy access may be a trade off for security. Here's what I would do:
5 Gallon sealed plastic bucket. Inside that would be valuables in a sealed mylar bag with desiccants inside to remove moisture. Dig a hole about 4 feet deep and a little wider than the bucket. Fill the bottom foot with gravel.(you don't want the bucket just sitting in water during a rain storm). Place the bucket inside and put smaller gravel around it so it doesn't backfill with dirt(for the same reason as above). The Bucket is now 2.5 feet below the ground. Fill in about a half foot of dirt and compact it. throw in an old tin can. Fill it the rest of the way. The tin can does the same thing that problem child mentioned. This way, with a GOOD metal detector, you can find it, but anyone who happened to dig for it might be thrown off by the can.

Also, I would avoid doing this near trees. Tree roots tend to grow around things and through things, and might just generally mess up your cache. Personally I wouldn't bury cash. Gold silver and guns are one thing, but cash is devaluing too fast IMO. You want to convert cash to something durable that holds its value/usefullness.

Salty
12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
When I was looking at homes in an older 1920's-1930's neighborhood, a lot of them had false floors in the closet where you could access the crawl space. If you really want to bury something, I can't think of a better place. No one would see you digging. Handy if you need to access the crawl space in winter as well.

Here's another thought, no digging required: Install a J shaped sewer pipe in the crawl space, mount it to the floor with a wall flange and just cap off the end. To everyone else it'll simply look like some unused plumbing, perhaps remnants of a past remodel.

Salty
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
RE: Metal detectors :TFH:

:p

johnthomas
12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/HOMAK-Homak%C2%AE-Wall-Gun-Safe/dp/B0017KL254
http://www.goldandsilverexchange.info/safety-deposit-boxes.html

The second link has a great article on doing what you want to do.

gatesbox
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
When I was looking at homes in an older 1920's-1930's neighborhood, a lot of them had false floors in the closet where you could access the crawl space. If you really want to bury something, I can't think of a better place. No one would see you digging. Handy if you need to access the crawl space in winter as well.

I have a dream of tunneling my personal bunker from the crawl space to the back yard....Everyone should have a "Bat Cave."

TheExpertish
12-08-2011, 3:31 PM
One thing to take into consideration is that a SHTF here in SoCal is most likely going to come from an earthquake. I'd chose a location away from something that can fall on it and cover it more thoroughly than the dirt you buried it under.

Neuvik
12-08-2011, 4:29 PM
I cached some stuff for the worst case scenarios; getting arrested, or sued in to oblivion and loosing the house/house catches fire, or something to that affect. In that event you may not be able to get on the grounds to retrieve your stuff.

Putting some caches at semi remote lands that won't be developed on kinda creates a buffer if you don't have family close by. Put enough monetary incentive in it so its something you will get to even if you have to walk. Its also a big middle finger at attempts to seize your assets. I've never had a problem finding them when I do my practice hikes...just follow advice from the many publications on practice...Paladin press has a few good ones.

GrizzlyGuy
12-08-2011, 7:14 PM
Whatever you do, don't be this guy (http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/03/letter_re_a_warning_on_undergr.html):

Last weekend, driving by on the county road I looked up the canyon towards where I hid my cache and saw a huge white object. We are now in the middle of a wet winter so the trees are bare and all the foliage is gone. I quickly parked the car and headed up the trail. From the entire trail I could see that white object and my heart sank. I hiked to my spot and there wasn't any natural cover this time of year. There was my huge white PVC pipe sticking up 1 to 2 feet straight out of the muddy ground...

BuckleNose
12-08-2011, 7:33 PM
How would you prepare a weapon for burying? What sort of preservative (grease?) would you use...?

TheChief
12-08-2011, 7:35 PM
Easy access may be a trade off for security. Here's what I would do:
5 Gallon sealed plastic bucket. Inside that would be valuables in a sealed mylar bag with desiccants inside to remove moisture. Dig a hole about 4 feet deep and a little wider than the bucket. Fill the bottom foot with gravel.(you don't want the bucket just sitting in water during a rain storm). Place the bucket inside and put smaller gravel around it so it doesn't backfill with dirt(for the same reason as above). The Bucket is now 2.5 feet below the ground. Fill in about a half foot of dirt and compact it. throw in an old tin can. Fill it the rest of the way. The tin can does the same thing that problem child mentioned. This way, with a GOOD metal detector, you can find it, but anyone who happened to dig for it might be thrown off by the can.

Also, I would avoid doing this near trees. Tree roots tend to grow around things and through things, and might just generally mess up your cache. Personally I wouldn't bury cash. Gold silver and guns are one thing, but cash is devaluing too fast IMO. You want to convert cash to something durable that holds its value/usefullness.

A challenge with this method is that the bucket will likely float to the surface over the years. If it weighs less the the same volume of water, every time it rains and the water table rises it will exert upward force on the bucket.

Also, if you live in an area where the ground freezes, you will need to bury it below this level as the ground will exert pressure and again, push the container up even if it is weighted down. This is the same process farmers deal with as their plots seem to "grow" rocks every year.

GrizzlyGuy
12-08-2011, 7:37 PM
How would you prepare a weapon for burying? What sort of preservative (grease?) would you use...?

Cosmoline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline).

BuckleNose
12-08-2011, 8:02 PM
Cosmoline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline).

i've not seen cosmoline for sale at the hardware store or Home Depot.

TheExpertish
12-10-2011, 4:00 AM
i've not seen cosmoline for sale at the hardware store or Home Depot.
Next best thing for long long term would be marine grade axle grease for boat trailer bearings. Lucas Oil makes a great one and it is available at Home Depot. Keep in mind provisions to clean it afterward. Other option would be a waterproof case like Pelican with a bag of silica in it for something ready to go.