PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 10/30 magazines

RossRinSD
03-03-2007, 1:04 PM
So, I've been told forever that if you are going to leave a magazine with rounds it, you only want to load it about halfway or so. That way the spring doesn't weaken...

Well, if you have a 10/30 magazine, couldn't you leave it loaded with 9 or 10 rounds with no worries of spring fatigue?

Has anyone actually had a magazine stop working well because of spring fatigue? And if that was the case, wouldn't it be ideal to take the spring completely out (to remove all tension) for really long term storage?

My dad just gave me several 1911 magazines. They were half loaded for so long, the bullets had turned black and the casings were green. The magazines still work fine.

How many of you guys keep loaded magazines around and what are your thoughts in this stuff??

shinigami
03-03-2007, 1:41 PM
I always have my XD9's mag loaded, my mossberg 500, and one AR mag. I switch my mags 3x a month. Never had a problem with it.

I'm also curious if it does affect the spring.

bobothebigdog
03-03-2007, 1:42 PM
If the mag springs where manufactured correctly you should have absolutely zero problems storing them fully loaded for extended periods of time.

Stanze
03-03-2007, 1:50 PM
All my mags are fully loaded, repeated decompression and compression weakens springs, not compressed storage.

Interesting discussion on this subject at GT: http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=664158

rorschach
03-03-2007, 6:05 PM
All my mags are fully loaded, repeated decompression and compression weakens springs, not compressed storage.

Thats what I have heard as well.

My dad had some Reising 20 round mags that were fully loaded for over 20 years and they still functioned flawlessly.

PanzerAce
03-03-2007, 6:28 PM
as the others have said, it is the USE of the magazine that weakens the springs, not the storage (regardless of how loaded it is)