View Full Version : For a Fun Target gun Remm. 710 any good?

03-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Looking for a fun new target gun as well. looking at the Remington 710 because its super cheap. what do you all think?

Mssr. Eleganté
03-03-2007, 11:19 AM
You'd probably be happier with a Savage Model 10 or even a used Remington Model 700.

03-03-2007, 1:33 PM
I don't know what a fun target gun is....but to me a fun target gun is my marlin 60

cheap 500 ammo in a box = fun target rifle :D

On a serious note, I'd go for a Savage 10 in .223 or a Rem. 700 as Amendment said... you never know when you want to add accessories to it or upgrade it.

03-03-2007, 4:37 PM
Yeah, the 710 doesn't have that great a reputation. Best bet for a cheap accurate centerfire shooter is a Savage.

03-03-2007, 4:50 PM
Here's a little mini-review of it for you that I wrote up for someone else on another forum. I even added pictures for your enjoyment, and also as proof that I actually did shoot the rifle and I'm not just making all this up.

My friend bought one in .30-06 for $400. I don't care for it too much; the bolt is very stiff, and I did not like the scope or the mounts. Even though Remington claims that the scope is factory zeroed, this was definitely not the case with my friend's gun. However, mechanically it is much simpler than my Remington Model 700, and it only has about half the parts. The most noticeable external differences between the 700 and the 710 are the bolt design (simpler) and the triggerguard (part of the stock instead of the reciever).

The scope is a Bushnell 3-9x40mm. I wasn't wowed with it, but it served its purpose. I like Bushnell a lot, and I have bought three of their scopes and all work wonderfully. Based on brand experience only (I didn't exactly give the thing an endurance test), I'd say the scope is fine. But the rings looked cheap. For a .30-06, I'd personally want a little beefier rings. Personal opinion though, and for the small amount of shooting I did with it, the scope never came loose.

I think that you could get these guns to work for you and do what you want, but keep in mind you get what you pay for.

If you have any other questions about the gun, feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to help you out.

03-03-2007, 5:03 PM
my buddy has one. i shot it and im not too impressed with it but it does what it supposed to do. action of the bolt is rough. he still wishes he saved up to get something else(like my pss.):D

03-03-2007, 5:05 PM
The 710s are apparently disposable guns as the bbl/receiver is a one-piece item. You won't be able to rebarrel it.

You're better off with a good used 700, or a Savage or the new Stevens rifle.

03-03-2007, 5:08 PM
get a milsurp mauser in 8mm. You can get a good one one for under $100 and ammo is dirt cheap. Accurate, cheap, and you dont have to worry about getting it beat up. Hell, get 3 milsurps!

03-03-2007, 5:38 PM
wow, good feed back all. You definetly reassured me not to go with the 710. I was however looking at the savage. they sell it at big five for the same price as the 710 lol. Like I said earlier i'm not a hunter or anything like that I just want something relaible and as accurate as possible for the low amount i want to pay for a rifle.

03-03-2007, 6:56 PM
The 710s are apparently disposable guns as the bbl/receiver is a one-piece item. You won't be able to rebarrel it.

You're better off with a good used 700, or a Savage or the new Stevens rifle.

I wondered when somebody might mention the Stevens! :) It's essentially a Savage without their accutrigger, the thin barrel, and a cheap plastic stock. The good news about the Savage is that 1) it's cheap and 2) almost all the after-market Savage accessories work with it.

One of these days I've GOT to get mine out to the range and break it in.

03-03-2007, 7:25 PM
how about mossberg those are pretty much the same price as well. not sure on what model mossberg it was though.

03-03-2007, 7:31 PM
how about mossberg those are pretty much the same price as well. not sure on what model mossberg it was though.

That's the ATR I believe. A relatively new platform if I recall correctly, rather than a time-proven design. Being new I imagine that it doesn't have the accessories available that either the Remington or Savage/Stevens families have.

03-03-2007, 7:53 PM
simple scope is all i will need. hows the rep of mossberg?

03-03-2007, 8:22 PM
It got picked on for its lack of beauty right off the bat and it never stopped. I think it suffered one recall that seems to have been straightened out. I've seen very few positive responses in regards to them.
Mossberg ATR is still new and reviews are pretty mixed.
The Stevens 200 series is well regarded and they are considered to be quite accurate. Might look into them.

03-07-2007, 6:57 PM
So mossberg is good no?

03-07-2007, 7:17 PM
So mossberg is good no?

I think we're trying to tell you that it's too new to have a reputation for being "good". As far as price goes the ATR100 is comparable to the Stevens model 200.

From www.galleryofguns.com:

Mossberg 100ATR in .308: $361
(Blue finish, black synthetic stock, drilled & tapped)

Stevens M200 in .308: $336
(Blue finish, grey synthetic stock, drilled & tapped)

The Stevens has been around for a while and comes highly recommended as an inexpensive rifle that can take the whole range of upgrades and accessories designed for the Savage rifles. The ATR100 has been around for what, 2 or 3 years maybe? I'm not knocking the ATR, I've never even handled one. Then again, I can't see any reason to go out of my way to check one out either.

03-07-2007, 7:32 PM
Ok I think I'm going to go with the savage. seems like a great price and got alot of good feed back from you all. Thank you!!!

03-07-2007, 8:05 PM
You can get a savage 10 or 110 for about the same price, and have a decent rifle that's very customizable if you want to go that route. To be honest, it's gonna be hard to find a rifle that would be worse than a Remington 710.

The one that I've held made me feel dirty. It had a bolt that was super-sticky, and overall it looked cheap. The salesman (this was at Reed's in Alum Rock back in 2001) referred to it as " the yugo of guns".

03-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Save your pennies and get an LTR in 308. Accurate enought to shoot from the bench. Light enough to take hunting and carry all day.