PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Christmas Present for the wife

HOOKANDBOOK
12-07-2011, 9:11 PM
Hello all,

Trying to get the wife interested in shooting and hopefully buy her a AR-15 for Christmas. We visited a gun shop a few towns over and they had a tactical AR that they let her hold and she loved it so thought it would be cool to get her one for Christmas. I really cant afford the gun to begin with but I thought I could use X Mas as an excuse to get her her own firearm. I have heard people ( ON THE INTERNET ) talk about Budget AR builds around $500 but I am having trouble finding the fine details and was hoping you guys can help me out. I'm looking for a parts list and where the best deals are. Thanks a lot in advance for all your help!

MrPlink
12-07-2011, 9:32 PM
usually the 500 dollar mark in the AR world comes from building, not purchasing. With that budget in mind, you still have to be careful. You could do an absolute budget build near that price, but more often than not you will end up with a 2nd rate at best rifle.

If you are patient and constantly on the hunt, a quality budget build can be had at that near that price. There is no easy way to point somebody in this direction though, it requires keeping your eyes open for deals (such as on this forum be it new or used items)
or jumping in on a great group buy.

500 is really pushing it though, if you can stretch it to 700 a lot more options will open up and it probably wont require as much time and hunting
As an example my last build came in at under 700 and it featured a lot of nicer high end parts (BCM and LMT)

good luck

LTP90
12-07-2011, 9:35 PM
:hide: when you give it to her! haha

But as said above 500 is pretty hard to do, 600+ is much easier to achieve.

You could do something like this and come close if you can find a cheap stripped lower for it to go on.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/9005.php

high_revs
12-07-2011, 9:53 PM
hook, as others said, it can be done but not 1st tier type ar. it'll shoot still though. i don't know about today's prices if a <$500 can still be done. <=$600 can still be done but you'll have to really look around. dive into the classifieds here? maybe you can find a lower cheap? hell, i paid $89 for each lower back in 08 (or was it 09) for lauers.

upper.. you may have missed the delton deals during thanksgiving. but search around, you'll be able to find it.

if $ is tight, are you open to used?

Cruznegao
12-07-2011, 10:08 PM
79 + DROS for the lower
419 for a a complete kit from blackthorne

It is not the best AR money can buy but it is an AR. If all she will be doing is plinking every once in a while I see no problem

Agent Tikki
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
$600

Smith & Wesson M&P 15 sport 5.56

Palmetto state armory has one for $600+ $15 sshipping

Cruznegao
12-07-2011, 10:12 PM
$600

But then you'd have at least another $75 for DROS and transfer

Merc1138
12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
But then you'd have at least another $75 for DROS and transfer

And tax.

But even then, that's about as cheap as you can get. Any cheaper and you're scraping the bottom of the barrel(plum crazy lower and a random no-name upper).

HOOKANDBOOK
12-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I do think that I need to raise the limit to $600 even just for tax shipping and transfer costs! I still would like to keep it as low as possible. I found a place before shipping and tax and the whole FFL thing I might be under the $500 mark. I plan to call them tomorrow to talk to them, the place is called Karri's Guns http://www.karrisguns.com/ ??? I will let everone know how it goes but if what I am reading is correct it looks like:

NEW AR15 COMPLETE UNASSEMBLED LOWER RECEIVER KIT COMES WITH
1 MARKED SURPLUS AMMO.COM STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER
MADE BY AERO PERCISION The same producers of receivers for Spikes Tactical

1 DPMS LOWER PARTS KIT:
AND 1 UTG 6 POSITION SLIDING STOCK WITH BUFFER
ALL THE PARTS YOU NEED TO BUILD AN AR LOWER

$149.00

New AR 15 5.56mm Unassembled Barrel Kit.

Comes with
1x9 twist M4 Profile Chromoly 16" barrel with M4 feedramp extention
A2 Flash hider and Crush Washer
Carbine Gas Tube and Gas tube pin.
Micro Gas Block
UTG 4 rail Free Float handguard with rail covers.

$210.00

I know there are a few things left but I am unsure of exactly which part number on there site it is so I will call them tomorrow and report back.

FYI -- I found this Karri's Guns website by going to SlickkGuns.com Lots of good deals it seems??

Merc1138
12-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I do think that I need to raise the limit to $600 even just for tax shipping and transfer costs! I still would like to keep it as low as possible. I found a place before shipping and tax and the whole FFL thing I might be under the $500 mark. I plan to call them tomorrow to talk to them, the place is called Karri's Guns http://www.karrisguns.com/ ??? I will let everone know how it goes but if what I am reading is correct it looks like:

1 DPMS LOWER PARTS KIT:

$149.00

Comes with
Micro Gas Block

$210.00

I know there are a few things left but I am unsure of exactly which part number on there site it is so I will call them tomorrow and report back.

FYI -- I found this Karri's Guns website by going to SlickkGuns.com Lots of good deals it seems??

Be aware that you're going to need the tools to assemble that upper.

WW2Buff
12-08-2011, 12:34 AM
$600

These two.

No offense to the poster who mentioned Black Thorn but they are considered the lowest of low in the AR community. I'm not really a snob either but I would stay away.

roushstage2
12-08-2011, 1:23 AM
Your choice of lower plus $515: http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/2552.php
Figure a $100 lower plus tax and DROS, so ~$150 OTD. $35 or so for a BB. $700 OTD. No transfer fee for an out of state gun being shipped here either, or sales tax collected on $515 dollars of it.

Agent Tikki
12-08-2011, 3:59 AM

1 DPMS LOWER PARTS KIT:

$149.00

Comes with
Micro Gas Block

$210.00

Looks like you'll still need a upper with m4 feedramps and sights.ad another $175-300. Utg isn't what id call a high quality brand. If its your first time putting a barrel on you will need to buy special tools.

You can support a local gun shop and get a stripped lower for $80 I believe rifle gear sells aeroprecision for that much.the get a complete rifle kit from PSA or Delton.

BBB114
12-08-2011, 4:03 AM
If you look hard and scrounge around you can find like new stuff that was slightly used and pick it up cheap. Remember, wives usually like lighter stuff, so dont go crazy on accessories etc.. Keep it simple. Check out a local gun show for a killer deal and at least get a lower registered.

17+1
12-08-2011, 4:27 AM
I bought a used upper when I pieced together an AR for my wife. I paid around $400 for a lightly used upper that retails for $650-700 new...many people on the classifieds are out of line so beware.

Make sure you know what to look for too. Of course, all Calgunners are honest and upstanding people, but you need to be able to spot things that may be prompting the sale of said rifle.

mls343
12-08-2011, 5:41 AM
Silly question to the OP.... Is this your first firarm. More importantly, will this be your Wife's first firearm? Seems like a silly question given how easy it is to shoot a 5.56 these days, but if this a first for either of you, and especially given the budget constraints, you might consider getting an AR configured .22lr. With this option, you will be well within your current budget, be able to feed it (read: practice a bunch as .22lr is cheap), yet still have all the coolness and feel of the AR.

It might be a practical choice, and even get the Wife more interested in the shooting sports. Besides, you can always upgrade to the 5.56 later (another excuse to go shopping...).

Just giving you another option.

Agent Tikki
12-08-2011, 6:30 AM
Silly question to the OP.... Is this your first firarm. More importantly, will this be your Wife's first firearm? Seems like a silly question given how easy it is to shoot a 5.56 these days, but if this a first for either of you, and especially given the budget constraints, you might consider getting an AR configured .22lr. With this option, you will be well within your current budget, be able to feed it (read: practice a bunch as .22lr is cheap), yet still have all the coolness and feel of the AR.

It might be a practical choice, and even get the Wife more interested in the shooting sports. Besides, you can always upgrade to the 5.56 later (another excuse to go shopping...).

You know this is a great idea. +1.

HOOKANDBOOK
12-08-2011, 7:42 PM

Yeah as much as I would rather put together a bottom of the barrel gun then upgrade when I get the money I think the hunt for the $500-600-700 AR will take too long. I have looked at the MP-22lr's in the past and I think she would be very happy with it, thanks for the suggestion.

mls343
12-08-2011, 8:03 PM
You are welcome. Merry Christmas and enjoy -- both of you!

gun toting monkeyboy
12-08-2011, 9:42 PM
Get the .22 and then start collecting the parts to build your AR. The only thing you have to buy at an FFL is the lower. Stripped ones can be had in the $89-120 range any day of the week. Find a store local to you that sells them and buy that. Everything else can be done mail-order/online. Start collecting the parts you will need as your budget allows. See if you can find a Calgunner local to you to help you assemble the lower. Or watch the easy how-too videos on youtube. I have assembled lowers with a chopstick, a rock and paper plate. If I can do it, you can do it.

The upper is usually easier for a beginner to buy complete. There are deals to be had out there right now. Here is a good one by a reputable dealer.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/8995.php

And you can usually find something like this somewhere online most of the time. Just make sure that it includes the Bolt Carrier Group and charging handle in the price. What some of the less reputable sights will do is offer a low price, but then charge lots extra for those parts.

The nicest thing about ARs is that you can buy them $20-30 at a time. Take your time and build the rifle that you want.

-Mb

p.s. No offense to the other poster, but avoid Blackthorn/Hesse/Vulcan or whatever they call themselves today like the freakin' plague. Their prices aren't that good, their customer service is worse, and their parts suck.

brianm767
12-08-2011, 9:52 PM
Might want to consider the S&W AR-15-22, she may have more fun with it anyways.

LovingTheYear1911
12-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I was fooled into thinking I can build an AR for $500, but ended up paying twice that, even building it. I dont know where people get their AR's for only $500. A upper is worth that much alone.

If money is tight, get her a S&W MP-15 Sport. I've seen them around at local shops for 700 dollars with sights and all.

gun toting monkeyboy
12-08-2011, 10:34 PM
I was fooled into thinking I can build an AR for $500, but ended up paying twice that, even building it. I dont know where people get their AR's for only $500. A upper is worth that much alone.

It is all a matter of timing. :p If you take your time, it can be done. Even without resorting to a plum crazy plastic lower. I have picked up decent uppers on gunbroker for $280. M16A2s that nobody wanted a couple of years back. Add a $112 out the door lower, a $50 LPK, and a $35 carbine buttstock, and a $20 Bullet Button, and it came in at $497. It is just a matter of being persistant and looking. And the fact that you can spread the purchase over several months helps a whole lot.

-Mb

rareair
12-09-2011, 9:58 AM
419 for a a complete kit from blackthorne

Do a search about this company before sending them your money

Cruznegao
12-09-2011, 10:14 AM
This is why I don't like to mention their name. Every time someone mentions a entry level/not so fancy/barebones comPany peoPle are quick to bash them.
What if this gun will just sit in the safe and the wife will shoot at paper/watermelons 5 times a year? Is it really worth it buying something more expensive?
I see this companies (plum crazy, blackthorne, hipoint...) like the Kia of the gun world. It still provides transportation...
Yes, they are cheap, but so are walmart products, ikea furniture...

Agent Tikki
12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Id be afraid of letting my wife shoot a Blackthorne. Have you seen the **** they put out? Forget facoty seconds, they are buying rejects or dumpster diving in the bins and selling them. My wife is beautiful, I'd like her to stay that way thank you very muh.

erik_26
12-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Not looking to rain on your good intentions.

But unless she is already really into guns, an AR for Christmas might seem like more of gift for you, not her.

Buy her a purse, candles, earings, neckless, ring, bracelet, nice watch, anything but a gun.

Just my opinion.

Go Navy
12-09-2011, 3:23 PM
Mossberg has some new AR-15 models that are very affordable. Yes, some will sneer at that, but not everyone needs a $1500 or even $1000 AR.

loosewreck
12-09-2011, 3:29 PM

But unless she is already really into guns, an AR for Christmas might seem like more of gift for you, not her.

Buy her a purse, candles, earings, neckless, ring, bracelet, nice watch, anything but a gun.

Just my opinion.

+1
Please be sure this is what she really wants. The right $5-600 gift can make her really happy.

Baeker
12-09-2011, 3:31 PM

Just my opinion.

Here's a guy barking up the right tree. I've got nearly 30 years still on the same OEM wife mostly by not making this sort of error.

Other things that shouldn't be gifted unless she asks for it out loud several times in public: lawn mowers, vacuum cleaners, hair removal equipment, soap, soup, mops, other cleaning stuff, animals, or a gym membership.
Note: This list is not anywhere near complete.

drtgrl
12-20-2011, 2:01 PM
I am a female and would LOVE an AR-15 (or any gun) for xmas, with that said I also LOVE guns way more than 99% of females I've encountered

newglockster
12-20-2011, 2:33 PM
^^ Welcome to CalGuns! :)

docsmileyface
12-20-2011, 2:35 PM
PSA has complete ARs for $599, almost within your price range

drtgrl
12-21-2011, 8:47 AM
Thanks newglockster!

glock7
12-22-2011, 8:22 AM
Get the 5.56, then get a .22 adapter easier to go forward than backwards.

fixitoscar
12-22-2011, 11:16 AM
If you want to make it hers your gonna need some pink furniture or sling. something that sets it apart from your stuff.

jonc
12-22-2011, 11:28 AM
i want my WIFE to ask me for a AR:eek:

insik
12-22-2011, 11:32 AM

+1 on this. My first AR platform is an S&W M&P15-22 and my wife loves it. Plus, the cost of 22LR ammo is cheap compared to 556.