PDA

View Full Version : Hornady .308 Steel Match ammo?

cfusionpm
12-07-2011, 8:12 PM
I came accross this earlier today and wondered if anyone's used it or likes it. I'd be using it in either the M1A Scout or Remington 700. My local outdoor range allows steel ammo (pretty much any ammo for that matter), so this looks like it'd be a nice cheaper alternative while still being a good round. Anyone have luck with it?

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/72052.jpg

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2H80926-1.html

tomd1584
12-07-2011, 8:21 PM
Not that ammo specifically, but if it's anything like their .223 TAP practice ammo (75 gr), then it should be pretty good.

I've had good results with both the 55 & 75 grain stuff.

h0use
12-07-2011, 10:02 PM
It's good stuff! I have shot a few hundred rounds with out any problems

Falstaff
12-08-2011, 8:53 AM
You won't notice any problems after 1 or 2 hundred rounds, however, you will notice problems after 1 or 2 thousand rounds. Steel cases cause more wear than brass cases.period. Steel cases are fine for sloppy, loose chambered AK's. I can't believe people put them in thousand plus dollar precision rifles...

cfusionpm
12-08-2011, 10:53 AM
^What about a factory $550 rem 700 sps tactical?

17+1
12-08-2011, 11:01 AM
^What about a factory $550 rem 700 sps tactical?

Those rifles are actually pretty accurate if you develop a load for them...why feed it this stuff?

Noah3683
12-08-2011, 11:03 AM
My buddy has been using it in his 700 sps tactical. We have had great results with it. Downside of course is not reloadable but it shoots great

Merc1138
12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
70 cents a round for steel case? No thanks. You can find Federal 168/175gr. SMKs for $.90-$1(and better shipping)/rd.

Plus, if you really wanted to get the most out of it, you'd be reloading and pay less than 70 cents/rd. anyway.

(and the Federal 168gr. OTM stuff can be had for $.80/rd. why run steel?)

cfusionpm
12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
70 cents a round for steel case? No thanks. You can find Federal 168/175gr. SMKs for $.90-$1(and better shipping)/rd.

(and the Federal 168gr. OTM stuff can be had for $.80/rd. why run steel?)

Where from? I generally see these 20-22$ per box. Unless are you talking about the 168 gr. OTM Federal/American Eagle "M1A" 7.62x51. I see those as cheap as 15$/box. Can I shoot that in a 700? (Shoots great out of my M1A)

No real desire to shoot steel, just looking to save costs here and there. Don't plan on reloading; to recoup the initial investment and see some real savings, I'd have to reload a couple thousand rounds. I'd rather just buy.

Omega13device
12-08-2011, 12:01 PM
CTD is rarely cheaper than anyone. Why would you pay $.70/round when you can get good BRASS-CASED ammo from Palmetto for close to $.50/round: http://palmettostatearmory.com/308-762-ammo.php

Come on guys, do a little searching!

Merc1138
12-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Where from? I generally see these 20-22$ per box. Unless are you talking about the 168 gr. OTM Federal/American Eagle "M1A" 7.62x51. I see those as cheap as 15$/box. Can I shoot that in a 700? (Shoots great out of my M1A)

No real desire to shoot steel, just looking to save costs here and there. Don't plan on reloading; to recoup the initial investment and see some real savings, I'd have to reload a couple thousand rounds. I'd rather just buy.

No, I listed the 168gr. OTM separately. Palmetto State Armory sells the Federal 168gr. and 175gr. SMKs for 18-19 a box, with $12 shipping per 500 rounds.

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1752.php
http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1120.php

Shipping for 200 rounds of that steel case from CTD runs $18 to my zip code and comes to 78 cents/rd. shipped. The federal 168gr SMK is 96 cents/rd. so the gap is even smaller(not by much, but still smaller).

And yes, like Omega13device posted, there is other brass cased available for even less at PSA.

cfusionpm
12-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Ah, I see. The reason I asked about the "M1A" ammo is I have a good pile of it already and it seems to have about the same 168gr OTM bullet as the Federal Sierra. Holding them next to eachother, they look damn near identical. It's stamped on the bottom with "7.62 - M1A" but lacks any NATO logo. It's marketed as "7.62x51/.308" any place I see it online, and seems to sell consistantly ~$5/box cheaper than 168 gr. Federal Gold Metal Match. Is that cool to fire out of the .308 chambered 700? Is it like .223/5.56? (one way ok, other way not?) Is it even really 7.62 or just marketing gimmick?

Merc1138
12-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Ah, I see. The reason I asked about the "M1A" ammo is I have a good pile of it already and it seems to have about the same 168gr OTM bullet as the Federal Sierra. Holding them next to eachother, they look damn near identical. It's stamped on the bottom with "7.62 - M1A" but lacks any NATO logo. It's marketed as "7.62x51/.308" any place I see it online, and seems to sell consistantly ~$5/box cheaper than 168 gr. Federal Gold Metal Match. Is that cool to fire out of the .308 chambered 700? Is it like .223/5.56? (one way ok, other way not?) Is it even really 7.62 or just marketing gimmick?

I don't see what the problem would be, fire a group and see how accurate it is. If it's great, then heck just keep ordering that.

.308 chamber can handle 7.62 ammo, 7.62 chamber may not be able to handle .308 ammo(so it's the opposite of how the .223/5.56 thing generally works).

Richard Erichsen
12-08-2011, 2:38 PM
I came accross this earlier today and wondered if anyone's used it or likes it. I'd be using it in either the M1A Scout or Remington 700. My local outdoor range allows steel ammo (pretty much any ammo for that matter), so this looks like it'd be a nice cheaper alternative while still being a good round. Anyone have luck with it?

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/72052.jpg

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2H80926-1.html

Only the case is steel, the jacket is copper. Range rules vary from place to place but when they say "no steel ammo" they usually me steel jacketed and/or steel cored ammo because of damage to the backstops or on some rifle ranges it could be due to fire risk from sparking.

In some places they recycle the brass cases at whatever the going rate for brass is at the time. Steel cases usually get swept into the same bins and create problems when they try to sell the brass and there are steel cases down in the barrel/box. The transporter/buyer might reject a container full of steel cases in what is supposed to be all brass.

It's easy enough to remove the steel cased from the brass ones - a big magnet does the trick, but the less work they have to do the more the few dollars they are getting out of the enterprise the better. If you have a brass catcher on your rifle or clean up your own brass (assuming you can find it, port buffers help on semi-autos) some ranges will bend the rules a bit for a courteous customer.

R

bloodhawke83
12-08-2011, 2:51 PM
ive used that stuff in .223, only problem i had with it that sometimes if you let the casing sit in there too long it will expand.

marktse
12-13-2011, 7:55 PM
i have run it on my daniel defense cold hammer forged barrel and can get the 75 grain to shoot less thatn 1 moa. DD chromes the chamber as well i believe so there should be too much wear on it. I haven;'t noticed my groups opening at all. all the steel is laquor coated to, its not steel on steel.

Hoop
12-13-2011, 9:32 PM
It's marketed as "7.62x51/.308" any place I see it online, and seems to sell consistantly ~$5/box cheaper than 168 gr. Federal Gold Metal Match.

I don't know if that bullet is an SMK or not. Very well could be, or maybe factory seconds they got a deal on.

It's okay ammo. Really just a "regular" cartridge load with a 168 stuck no top. Not match ammo but it is a bit more consistent then say 150gr FMJ loads.

marktse
01-06-2012, 9:53 PM
if you shoot a lot shooting steel is a good save on money and if you compete and shot a lot through a match steel barrel you know its only most accurate in its sweet spot of 3000 rounds in and after 5 its not winning any competitions and decent til 10K. I have run thousands of rnds of match steel and my chamber and parts but not chamber have not worn down at all. By the time the chamber wears from steel i'm ready to toss my barrel anyways. THe lifespan of any ss or chrome moly barrel is about 10K and you might push it to 20 but once you're out of the sweet spot, I toss the barrel and break in a new one because lets face it its all about the accuracy and practice. As far as the bolt is concerned i am on the same bolt and extractor and spring but 2nd barrel which means about 5-7k of steel and my gun is flawless.

I also have a daniel defense chf barrel which is ver very accurate for chrome due to the forging and thats very impervious to steel. I am about 5K which match steel on that too. 77grain

depends on precise you want to be. I run steel because I only care about precise shooting and swapping out the barrel from chamber wear and chamber life is about the same so why not?

if you want your ar to collect dust or shoot occasionally and expect your barrel to last many many years then no, steel is not for you but for wannabe snipers, and 3 gunners you are going through 1 barrel per 2 years, then its a good alternative to reloading. Its like driving a race car or a sports luxury. SOme like to treat their ars like ferrarris and bougotti veyrons, other people treat their ars like a nascar and you're changing the engine out after every race.

You won't notice any problems after 1 or 2 hundred rounds, however, you will notice problems after 1 or 2 thousand rounds. Steel cases cause more wear than brass cases.period. Steel cases are fine for sloppy, loose chambered AK's. I can't believe people put them in thousand plus dollar precision rifles...

Richard Erichsen
01-07-2012, 10:22 AM
if you shoot a lot shooting steel is a good save on money and if you compete and shot a lot through a match steel barrel you know its only most accurate in its sweet spot of 3000 rounds in and after 5 its not winning any competitions and decent til 10K. I have run thousands of rnds of match steel and my chamber and parts but not chamber have not worn down at all. By the time the chamber wears from steel i'm ready to toss my barrel anyways. THe lifespan of any ss or chrome moly barrel is about 10K and you might push it to 20 but once you're out of the sweet spot, I toss the barrel and break in a new one because lets face it its all about the accuracy and practice. As far as the bolt is concerned i am on the same bolt and extractor and spring but 2nd barrel which means about 5-7k of steel and my gun is flawless.

I also have a daniel defense chf barrel which is ver very accurate for chrome due to the forging and thats very impervious to steel. I am about 5K which match steel on that too. 77grain

depends on precise you want to be. I run steel because I only care about precise shooting and swapping out the barrel from chamber wear and chamber life is about the same so why not?

if you want your ar to collect dust or shoot occasionally and expect your barrel to last many many years then no, steel is not for you but for wannabe snipers, and 3 gunners you are going through 1 barrel per 2 years, then its a good alternative to reloading. Its like driving a race car or a sports luxury. SOme like to treat their ars like ferrarris and bougotti veyrons, other people treat their ars like a nascar and you're changing the engine out after every race.

Marktse,

That's a great data point, "don't fear steel because it will wear out your barrel." Empirical evidence is always useful, though as you mentioned, even a barrel that has an endurance of 10-20K rounds (about $7500-$15000 worth of ammo, depending on which brand and type) when someone is a competitor and every tiny bit counts, it might not be used beyond the first 1000 rounds no matter what ammo is used.

R