View Full Version : Deployed Soldier, New Member, Need Help

12-07-2011, 3:56 PM
Good morning from Afghanistan

recently saw a need to improve my shooting skills due to my situation. now im reading all things long range shooting. im reaching out to the california shooting community to help improve.

twice last week i found myself engaging targets past 200m with just an aimpoint M68 optic(red dot, zero magnification). with this open terrain you can barely tell who is shooting at you until you see the muzzle flash. ive invested in a Valdada 1.5x8 and a larue mount. problem is ive never mounted, zeroed, really done long range shooting. im from oxnard, ventura county and im coming home soon for R&R. im looking for a place where I can actually zero my rifle at 200m and practice beyond that range. my plan is to mount the sight on my personal bushmaster at home, then just use quick detach bring it back to afghan with me and throw it on my M4. i know it will have to be rezeroed but at least illl be close and have had a little practice with the scope. tips, posts, especially contact with experienced long range shooters, and help finding a range where i can practice a few times before coming back to afghan would be extremely helpful. please point me in the right direction.

12-07-2011, 4:02 PM
Robbie, Thanks for doing what you do. A fifty yard zero will also be zeroed at 200 yards. At 25yards it'll be 2.5" low. This is using 55gr M193. Hope this helps

12-07-2011, 4:07 PM
If you can make the trip to Coalinga while you are back I am sure we could help you get some practice in. Let me know when you are coming back if you are interested. Our range goes out to 1000 yards.

12-07-2011, 4:26 PM
Haven't used M193 55gr in a looonnnggg time. Everything issued in theater is M855(A1) or the SOST stuff (which we didn't get much of).

12-07-2011, 4:42 PM

Shoot me an email at dan@bullseyeusa.com

I am a SSG and an Afghan vet. I'll get you pointed in the right direction.

If in question, my bio can be viewed at http://www.bullseyerange.com/range/instructors.html

I'm listed as the Senior Instructor

12-07-2011, 4:56 PM
Thanks for your service Robbie! Come home safe.

There are a ton of knowledgeable people here on Calguns which I'm sure can help you out. I'm near Angeles Range in the Foothills and they have steel all the way to 600 yards (more than enough for you). If you need help with zero and some distance shooting, let me know and I'd be happy to go out with you.

Here's a review of the scope you got: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/512475_Review_of_the_Valdada___IOR_1_5x8x26_Rifles cope_.html

Dan sounds like the man. Damn. Sapper? Just watched a show on that the other night, absolutely hardcore. Props!

12-07-2011, 4:58 PM
Piru, or the Glass Factory in Santa Barbara. Its a drive, but thats the only ranges we have here. Shooters Paradise is only a 35 feet range. You could try to work out the math and zero there...you will be close enough that way.

You can also go to the Ojai Ranger Station during the week (closed on weekends). Talk to the Ranger there, she knows her stuff and will call Officer Tuttle if she needs info. Cherry Creek is closed, but you can still hump out into the middle of nowhere, pace off 25 yards and zero your Bushy. I do it all the time. Buy the map for $10. It shows you where its illegal to shoot.

Thank you for your service, stay safe.

12-07-2011, 5:30 PM
Have your supply get you ACOG's. M68 dots simply cover your target after 100m.

Iraq 2-timer, stay safe brother.

12-07-2011, 5:40 PM
First thank you for your service!

And....Seems like you already have your answered above.

12-07-2011, 6:08 PM
Yup, the dot on that M68 is too large for anything man-sized beyond 200m. The IOR optics are a mixed bag, from my experience. If you get a good one, then they are a great value, otherwise you'll have to go back and forth with Valdata exchanging them (which they are good about). But that's unsat when you're downrange. An EOTech has the advantage over the M68 because it has a 1MOA dot that's good on bad guys to 400m. Also, the 65MOA ring helps get on target quickly up close as well help you lead lateral movers. Maybe combined with a magnifier?

Also, in this day and age, you're pretty much going to have to rely on what they issue you. Unless of course you're really far from the flagpole and your command leadership is okay with it. As has been mentioned, an ACOG would be a much better choice as they are very durable AND shouldn't raise any red flags since they are commonly issued (so you could sort of fly under the radar in that regard). Still, your idea of using your POW to sight it in is a good idea. Just remember the differences in ammo as well.

FWIW, when I was downrange I used an EOTech when rolling in vehicles and on foot in cities. The only time I switched to an ACOG was back at the FOB in a static defensive position (range card and all) or on foot in the mountains. Of course, your mileage my vary.

Good luck :)

12-07-2011, 6:30 PM
Welcome to CalGuns...........Thank you for your service and come home safe !

12-07-2011, 7:39 PM
Check out this website:

Stan is a current Marine. He's been deployed in Afghan and Iraq (you can see his resume on his website). Contact him when you're back in the States. I'm sure he's more than willing to assist.

12-07-2011, 8:21 PM
PM sent.

12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Welcome to CalGuns Robbie. Stay safe.

I'm a little further South in the Hemet/San Jacinto area. If you get this way, I would be happy to have you as my guest at the Rainbow Shooting Club in Fallbrook.

Thank you for your service.

12-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi Robbie,

I'm from Ventura County too. Piru would be a great place for you. It's about 30 min from Oxnard/Ventura The range is called Wes Thompson. PM me if you need directions.

Thank you for your service!