PDA

View Full Version : A BB on a Colt?

MIB916
03-03-2007, 8:37 AM
My friend has a colt model Ar-15. I know by looking at it, it is on the banned list. Question? Can he install the Bullet button and fix the mag @ ten rds and still be legal? If he cannot due this, I told him to remove the weapon from CA.

MonsterMan
03-03-2007, 8:48 AM
My friend has a colt model Ar-15. I know by looking at it, it is on the banned list. Question? Can he install the Bullet button and fix the mag @ ten rds and still be legal? If he cannot due this, I told him to remove the weapon from CA.

If the receiver is listed as a banned weapon, than he cannot do anything to it to make it legal again (assuming it is not a registered rifle). He should just destroy it or contact a lawyer to surrender it. Replace the receiver with a OLL and configure it as a featureless detachable mag fashion or a fixed mag fashion.

If he drives it out of the state, he could get popped for transporting a AW.

MIB916
03-03-2007, 9:03 AM
Thx, I was trying to tel him that the lower is listed and that he should remove the upper and put it on a OLL. He thinks that he can put it on a BB and make it safe to own. He even stated that someone in the bay area was fixing the mags on colt lowers to avoid the destruction of the lower. I explained to him that in the orginal wording of SB 23, that listed makes(including colt) had to be registered by Jan 2000. He states he has family in another state and would just remove it from Ca. Thanks for insight.. I can always count on another Ca gunner:)

MonsterMan
03-03-2007, 9:08 AM
The guys in Orange who are "fixing" mags to colts and bushmasters are in a predicament right now. Their rifles were thought to be OK to alter and sell, but upon further review of the law showed that they are indeed AW's. Now they are not selling any more of those rifles until they figure out what to do. They have been selling AW's for the past 3 years or so because of a letter that was written giving them false permission to do so.

So now they are in a stand still until things get situated. They didn't get in trouble because the doj basically told them it was ok when in fact it wasn't.

shark92651
03-03-2007, 9:08 AM
If it were me, I would remove and keep the upper, pistol grip, and stock and just get the lower out of the state. He can get an OLL, parts kit, BB and have a CA legal rifle again probably for under $300 including all parts, transfer fees, and DROS.

hoffmang
03-03-2007, 10:14 AM
There are a couple of theoretical defenses to AW charges by either welding the magazine well or simply fully disassembling the gun so you have an almost stripped lower. Certainly DO NOT have a listed lower attached to or near a semi-automatic upper.

These are defenses to criminal action - not ways to be legal. Tell him to follow the advice above. If he really cares he might be able to find one of the Colt lowers that isn't listed, but either way, rebuild the rifle with an OLL.

-Gene

6172crew
03-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I took my PWA lower out of state and bought a few OLLs, why risk it over $300 bucks, tell him they will take his $1000 rifle if hes caught with it.