PDA

View Full Version : fal vs ptr91

reddot45
03-03-2007, 9:28 AM
i got rid of my israeli fal that was built on a imbel reciever with a gunpartsguy 21" barrel. it was at best a 3"-4" moa rifle..and heavy. i needed the money so i had to sell. now i'm thinking that i would like a PTR91 or maybe another FAL. I noticed on the DS arms website that they sell fixed mags for cal. i did not see the same for PTR91's. anyhow my question is: which shoot better? After doing a lot of tinkering with the gas system my fal was reliable..are the PTR91's? since they cost about the same i'm kinda up in the air...i see the PTR91 recievers are sold here in calif..how about the whole rifle? I'm not a builder and i do not know anyone that is..Could you guys help me out? thanks...mark

xenophobe
03-03-2007, 9:31 AM
I hate the recoil on my G3. It's the AW I most regret buying. The second most that I regret buying was the Robinson, because the belt fed conversion never appeared, so I sold that. I'll probably sell my G3 soon too.

tiger222
03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I have a few "kit" fals, and original Argentine and a PTR.

what is it that you are trying to accomplish?
I love shooting them all, but the PTR is newer so it gets more attention right now. The recoil on the PTR is not bad esp. with their "Comfort Buffer"

You could go a step further and get a SEI muzzle brake on sale for $25 (makes it look like a FN something) and a HK21E rubber buttpad and percieved recoil would be almost nil.

If you are looking for an accurate 308 semi with low recoil, an OLL AR10 of somekind with a Coolie or simular type brake would probably the ticket. Coldwarshooters just had a special on the TAC20 rifles, a DPMS/ FAR hybrid.

Sydwaiz
03-03-2007, 10:55 AM
FAL. I built two and prefer to shoot them instead of my HK91. I will be selling my HK simply because I don't really enjoy shooting it and it's too nice to shoot. The recoil is harsh on it compared to the FAL. Don't worry folks, it's not here but somewhere where I can actually enjoy it the way it's supposed to be enjoyed. Any legal HK clone is going to be a pain to reload compared to a FAL with an open top cover anyway.

Outlaw
03-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I've never shot a PTR or G3, but the common thing I hear is the recoil sucks compared to the FAL (not that bad/harsh), just different like the 9mm and 40sw.

rorschach
03-03-2007, 12:52 PM
With the new JLD buffer or an MSG90 2 stage buffer, recoil on a PTR is quite comfortable.

Ravenslair
03-03-2007, 1:36 PM
I like them both. If you can only afford one, get a FAL.

As to the recoil difference, the FAL is a bit smoother than the PTR. Either way, I do not think the recoil on a PTR is bad at all.

Addax
03-03-2007, 2:11 PM
I own 4 FAL's and 1 PTR91.

I have also shot the HK91/G3 recently (just exactly like the PTR91)..

Your experience with the HBAR IZZY Fal is actually common. One of the reasons the Israelis dumped it after a few years was due to it poor accuracy.

Plus the HBAR IZZY is a Heavy SOB of a rifle. I have owned a total of 3 Izzy's and they all shot about the same as you described.
I sold 2 of them and kept one, and I had the barrel cut down on her to make her a HBAR IZZY FAL Carbine, and it actually shot a bit better with this shorter barrel, than with its original length barrel, but not as good as my M1A or PTR91.

The PTR91/HK91-G3 is going to kick more than the FAL, but it is manageable. The FAL is a hunk of steel and is a bit heavier vs the PTR91.

IMHO, I would go for both either the FAL (DSA is really good) or the PTR91, it really boils down to preference of the type of rifle/action and how the rifle feels in your hands etc.

The FAL has one major advantage here in California. In a fixed mag config, you can top load it much easier vs. the PTR, because you can get a modified top cover on the FAL that is open from the top and makes for easier loading.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Regards,
Addax

morepoop4u
03-03-2007, 2:47 PM
the only thing I don't like about my cetme/g3 clone is that it's the dirtiest gun I own. It's damn fluted chamber:p spits soot everywhere. SA ammo doesn't help either haha.

EricCartmann
03-03-2007, 3:09 PM
PTR-91:
I sold my PTR when I should not have. They are great rifles.
- Recoil is not as bad as a HK-91.
- The barrel is dam heavy, therfore making the the front end very heavy. Was hard to shoot this thing unless you had both elbows on the ground.
- cheap mags, You can get 20 HK mags for like $20
- Just like a real HK-91, this thing shoots dirty, very hard to clean, even harder than a AR-15.
Overall I was very satified with it. It was well made and it pretty much shot everything I fed it. When these things first came out they were only like $750. I had a chance to pick up an M1A with a lot of USGI parts so I needed the money and ending up selling it for $50 more than what I got for it. I should have just dipped into my savings as now I really regret getting rid of the PTR. Between a real HK and a PTR-91, I would actually take the PTR-91.

FAL:
I won't go into details, but my DSA SA58 Para FAL is absolutely my favorite gun. Feels like butter. I would never even think of selling this thing. If I needed a kidney though, I might trade it for the kidney, but even then it would be a very tough decision.

http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2921&stc=1&d=1172963280

http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2922&stc=1&d=1172963286

Q
03-03-2007, 4:19 PM
i had two fals g1 and stg. soft recoil but long barrel. i didn't like the rear sights much either. still thinking about a para or maybe a fn scar h if it uses fal mags:D
the hk is nice the v notch drum sight is lovely.

rorschach
03-03-2007, 7:02 PM
the hk is nice the v notch drum sight is lovely.

You prefer the HK V-notch? I think the v-notch sights on my V93 and HK911 are ok, but I like the peepsight that came with my PTR91K more, seems like I can get a sight picture faster with them than the v-notch. Did your PTR come with a v-notch or peephole??

Q
03-03-2007, 7:35 PM
i like the v-notch. it's at the 1 setting. peep hole on 2, 3, and 4 all marked in yellow paint. it came with my ptr k. :)

WINGEDSWORD
03-03-2007, 8:54 PM
I had an HK 91 Back in the "Good OLd Days"(Pre-ban) I don't know if they're all that way, but mine had the worst trigger pull this side of a cap pistol!
It also messed up brass, something fierce. Since I'm not rich, reloading is something I have to think about!

Pulsar
03-03-2007, 9:27 PM
I prefer the FAL. They are both good guns, but at least the FAL doesn't destroy brass, which is nice since .308 is getting rather pricey.

Plus I like that you can adjust the gas system on the FAL easily. Means no worrying about surplus ammo.

On the other hand, the HK is simpler. Guns just don't get much simpler than a blowback system. Though the HK is heavily modified blowback system. It's because of the modified blowback system that brass is destroyed in the HK, has some ribs in the chamber if I remember right, and the brass expands into these ribs when the gun is fired, making the brass unsalvegeable.

cornholio1
03-03-2007, 9:42 PM
The FAL is a smooth operator in my book. I was considering the HK but was glad I didn't buy it. Its got a crude feeling while holding AND shooting.

radd
03-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I may be new at this game.....

But I have shot both a rebuilt Inch Fal and I think it was a South America G3 Clone Cetme..? (Not PTR). The G3 has a much softer Recoil then the Fal. Also, the delay recoil on the G3 design is much easier to stay on target after each round.

It was that reason that influenced to get my PTR-91 at the Bright Spot Pawn on the spot. :D

rorschach
03-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I had an HK 91 Back in the "Good OLd Days"(Pre-ban) I don't know if they're all that way, but mine had the worst trigger pull this side of a cap pistol!

My PTR was ok out of the box, much better than my HK911 or Vector V93.

No matter, I recently sent all 3 triggerboxes to Bill Springfield for trigger work. Now, they are the BEST triggers I have on any of my rifles.