PDA

View Full Version : M14/M1A Stocks

JaeFern
03-03-2007, 6:24 AM
I just wanted to know if anyone out there has tried out the Vltor Modstock or Jae-100 Stock on their M14/M1A. How are they working for you? I currently have the Vltor Modstock for my M1A but haven't gotten to use it yet. I only had time to toss it on but then took it back off because I was leaving for Cali again. So now its collecting dust in Vegas. Oh, BTW, Vltor gives 35% military discounts =D

mightymike
03-03-2007, 6:53 AM
I would love to try the JAE but can't get over the $600 buck price tag.

Gunsrruss
03-03-2007, 7:48 AM

Is that the one that looks all metal?? One of the parts companys has them, but I can't think of which one.

donger
03-03-2007, 8:21 AM
Is that the one that looks all metal?? One of the parts companys has them, but I can't think of which one.

Where have you been hiding? :D

http://www.jallenenterprises.com/html/jae_home.html

I see them all the time at Angeles. They feel very nice.

capitol
03-03-2007, 8:24 AM

$600 ?? that's last years price. they now want $700

THE 0NE
03-03-2007, 8:39 AM
its the cost of cool and function, i have shot with the jae-100 stock and it feels great i would never go back. the only trouble is choosing what color i want!!!!!

cxs2
03-03-2007, 9:27 AM
I just wanted to know if anyone out there has tried out the Vltor Modstock or Jae-100 Stock on their M14/M1A. How are they working for you? I currently have the Vltor Modstock for my M1A but haven't gotten to use it yet. I only had time to toss it on but then took it back off because I was leaving for Cali again. So now its collecting dust in Vegas. Oh, BTW, Vltor gives 35% military discounts =D

Is this stock California legal? It looks great so it must be illegal.

THE 0NE
03-03-2007, 9:42 AM
the ca doj is not saying yes to any stocks they will not write a letter approving it 100%. so it is a good thing they did not say no. if they said no than it would be illegal.. so it linda like a maybe with no problems...

Gunsrruss
03-03-2007, 9:51 AM
Where have you been hiding? :D

I see them all the time at Angeles. They feel very nice.

I'm not totally in the dark. I've seen this one before. It's just that I have the M3A from Mcmillan :) So I'm not in the market for a stock and can't remember really whats out there:rolleyes:

Astig Boy
03-03-2007, 1:12 PM
My friend has a JAE stock, that thing is badass. It is one heavy hunk of quality...it makes the rifle weight a lot more. $600-700 isnt so bad, you are getting a entire unit with all the extras...if it is 700 then that would include the matching handguard. Plus you save on bedding(+$200). Looks, function, performance, and quality...$600 sounds about right for a M14 stock. :D

Look how much AR handguards cost, anywhere from 300-600 also...and thats just a handguard.

pnkssbtz
03-03-2007, 1:23 PM
The JAE-100 was designed specifically with california laws in mind. Just like the U-15.

Look at that link, it says specifically "CA compliant grip architecture." Which is not to say that the DoJ has approved it, since DoJ never approves anything, they only disaprove stuff =P

But if you look at the design, it shows that the web of the hand does not extend below the action but behind it.

EricCartmann
03-03-2007, 1:46 PM
I bought a Marstar stock. I bought it from one of the guys on the sopmod forums.

I don't have my M1A with me in Khalifoniakhakstan so I won't be able to review it till about the end of the month.

I like it because:
1) you don't have to buy a scope mount for it.
2) You can use any AR-type buttstock you want. Not sure if I want to put a LMT or Magpul butt stock on it.
3) You can use any AR-pistol grip you want. For you Cali people you can have no pistol grip or use that monster grip thingy.

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/images/M14-105-05-L.jpg

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/images/M14-105-06-L.jpg

capitol
03-03-2007, 4:34 PM
The only real issue with the JAE-100 stocks other then the price, is they make your M14/M1A a bench gun.

3-gun...NO
Hunting...NO
Target...YES

You cant use that stock anyplace, but on a bench. It sure will look good on the shooting bench though :D

Oh and $700 gets you the stock and all the accessories (COLOR CHEEK REST, PALM REST & OFF HAND REST) but not the handguard which is an extra $59

So after shipping your looking at $800 and I hope you dont buy it directly from J. Allen Enterprises because they're in California. Add tax to the bill.

Ok, Im gonna go cry now because I want one :)

idk
03-03-2007, 5:23 PM
Has anyone used or have the Sage International EBR stock. I think its in the same price range and I think it looks very nice, the JAE-100 looks very nice also.
Roger

bwiese
03-03-2007, 5:33 PM
The JAE stock as depicted is 100% CA legal.

It cannot be considered as having a pistol grip as per regulatory definition in 11 CCR 5469(d).

Now, the SAGE EBR stock - at least the versions I've seen - turns the M1A into a traditional "AW profile" rifle and is used with a pistol grip, so you'd have to run with a fixed 10rd mag, etc, etc - the usual OLL drill.

I fail to see why anyone wants to change the M1A rifle - the combined form factor of its action with regular stock makes it a great all-around shooter for bench or field. I personally like the black fiberglas stocks sold on the base model Springfield Armory rifles due to the weight savings over the walnut stocks.

Paul
03-03-2007, 5:43 PM
All metal?

I would hate to have that out in the field here - my natural wooden stocks get a whole lot hotter in the sun than my camo painted synthetic ones. The metal of the rifles gets hot enough to be uncomfortable holding - let alone making a cheek weld. Just something to think about if you shoot in the field.

Kiba
03-03-2007, 7:59 PM
I have a JAE sitting in the safe... still waiting for my LRB M25 to put it in. The stock is very well built and comfortable, but as was mentioned it is best for prone & bench use. The quality & comfort level of the stock is very good although the LOP is still a bit long even with all the buttpad spacers removed.

The 'smith who will be building my LRB-M25 M1A (Ted Brown) says that a JAE stock does not group as well as a glass-bedded McMillan assuming the bedding work was done correctly. He has done testing back to back on the same rifle and the rifle consistently shot & grouped better with the McMillan. The JAE lug/slide system, while slick, appears to not be as stable as a good old fashioned bedding job. Depends on what you are going to use the gun for.

30Cal
03-03-2007, 8:19 PM
The 'smith who will be building my LRB-M25 M1A (Ted Brown) says that a JAE stock does not group as well as a glass-bedded McMillan assuming the bedding work was done correctly. He has done testing back to back on the same rifle and the rifle consistently shot & grouped better with the McMillan. The JAE lug/slide system, while slick, appears to not be as stable as a good old fashioned bedding job. Depends on what you are going to use the gun for.

It's going to be solid--better than a one-size-fits-all GI stock. But it's probably not going to reach that same level of fit that you'll get by molding the receiver in epoxy. Probably one of those differences you won't be able to see unless the rifle's fired from a mechanical rack.

Ty

NwG
03-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I have the JAE-100..

Heavy-Yep!
Solid-Yep!
Well built-VERY!
Accuracy-Got a good 1/2" on my groups.. Combine this with all the other NM mods and accuracy tricks you get a pretty darn accurate gas gun!

The problem is the cost... Not the cost of the stock.. It is worth every penny.. The cost of the second M1-A that you will have to buy.. It would be a sin not to have an M1-A without irons and walnut!!

adamsreeftank
03-04-2007, 12:43 AM
I have a JAE stock sitting unused against the wall of my closet.

The gun looked great in it, but the stock combined with a heavy barrel super match M1A is just rediculously heavy. I could barely hold the thing offhand, much less shoot a slow-fire session. I also had to do some mods to shorten the length of pull to be usable. On top of that, the rear lug on my supermatch would hang up on the stock and I had to remove some metal from the stock which was a bummer.

When I put my Scout in the stock it fit fine and was much more managable, but what is the point to that. The GI fiberlass stock just feels so much better with the Scout.

JaeFern
03-04-2007, 3:34 AM
The only real issue with the JAE-100 stocks other then the price, is they make your M14/M1A a bench gun.

3-gun...NO
Hunting...NO
Target...YES

You cant use that stock anyplace, but on a bench. It sure will look good on the shooting bench though :D

Oh and $700 gets you the stock and all the accessories (COLOR CHEEK REST, PALM REST & OFF HAND REST) but not the handguard which is an extra $59

So after shipping your looking at $800 and I hope you dont buy it directly from J. Allen Enterprises because they're in California. Add tax to the bill.

Ok, Im gonna go cry now because I want one :)

Haha wow, 800 huh?> I guess I'll just stick to my Vltor Modstock haha. Yah it's not cali legal but its staying in Nevada anyways...:rolleyes:

CalGuns
01-04-2008, 7:47 AM
Just recieved my JAE-100 in the mail this past week, still waiting on my scope, so I had some free time to post some pictures.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/keakster/DSC01015.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/keakster/DSC01010.jpg

voodoo
01-04-2008, 9:41 AM
CalGuns:

Nice stock! Is that a Generation 1 or 2? Did you buy it new?

Religious Shooter
01-04-2008, 7:25 PM
So how does it handle? Is it much heavier than stock? How is it with offhand shooting with transitions? How about reloads?